Transmogrification is a new cosmetic addition being added in Patch 4.3 that will enable you to change the appearance of your gear for a small price whilst keeping the stats.
It's a simple process! Visit the Transmogrification vendor in Stormwind or Orgrimmar and you will be presented with a window similar to your character panel. Left click, or drag & drop the item you wish to transmogrify the slot to, click accept, pay the gold and voila!
There are however a few limitations:
- Your character can only transmogrify to weapons & armor they can equip.
- Only uncommon (green), rare (blue) and epic (purple) items can be transmogrified or used for transmogrify, legendary items can not be transmogrified or used to transmogrify.
- Guns, Bows & Crossbows can only be transmogrified into Guns, Bows & Crossbows. One handed weapons can only be transmogrified into main hand or off-hand. Main hand weapons can only be transmogrified into main hand weapons & off-hand weapons can only be transmogrified into off-hand weapons.
- Using an item for transmogrify makes it soulbound, non tradeable & non refundable.
- Account bound items, including Heirlooms can be transmogrified and used to transmogrify.
- Fishing poles cannot be transmogrified or used to transmogrify.
- Mailing, vendoring & placing an item in Void Storage strips it of its transmogrification.
- The enchant of the physically equipped item will be displayed.
- Some items will not be useable for transmogrification due to them being absurdities introduced into the game in the past. (Example: A weapon that looks like a fish.)
Transmogrification Official Preview