Public Test Realm Patch 1.0.5 Notes for 9/27
is upon us once again, and Icy-Veins has an in depth guide
to all things Brewfest. This year the event was slightly delayed to allow people to get a start on Mists of Pandaria. It requires level 89 for completion of all of the event.
If you are still leveling, don't forget to grab the Brewfest Enthusiast
buff at 6:15 AM and 6:15 PM server time outside of Ironforge and Orgrimmar at the Tapping of the Keg ceremony.
There are a few new items this year, such as the Pandaren Brewpack
and upgraded epics.
Brewfest Prize Token Rewards
Another two interviews today, this time with Jason Hutchins, Game Producer and Gary Platner, Lead Environment Artist. The second interview is with Russell Brower, Director of Audio at Blizzard. Thanks to NinjaPull
for providing the interviews!
Game Producer and Lead Environment Artist
Director of Audio
- In Cataclysm, high end players would sometimes race to see who could complete a dungeon or raid first, so Challenge Modes were added to support that gameplay style.
- The 50 artists are broken up into five teams: World environment, dungeons, props, animations, and characters and armor sets.
- Mists of Pandaria brought several art improvements:
- Increased the distance you can see.
- Higher level of detail in the world.
- Ground textures are higher res.
- Lighting system and shadows were improved.
- More control over texture blending.
- Ambient occlusion (SSAO) was added.
- Draenei were harder to design than Worgen because it was harder to define what kind of race they were. Everyone understood the Worgen were supposed to have an Eastern European Gothic look.
- Clouds that interact with the mountains were added to add to the Asian influenced landscape.
- One of the things that sets Blizzard apart is the allowance for iteration. Even if a zone has been mostly completed, the art team can decide that it isn't right and go back and redo it until it feels right.
- There was a lot of new technology that went into Mists of Pandaria. It would have been impossible to make this expansion just a few years ago.
- The audio team even has a hand in the phone tree audio for the Customer Service line.
- Eight years ago there were only three members on the team, now there are almost 40.
- They do a lot of recording in the field to expand the selection and avoid reusing sounds.
- The music used Asian instruments and skilled players.
- The sound is a combination of the sound of Warcraft and an Asian influence.
- Pandaren are all about family, nature, spirit, and harmony, but they know how to fight when they have to. They live every day as their last and do everything all out, no matter what it is they are doing.
Pearl of Pandaria Now On Sale!
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
If you are curious what it looks like, take a look at the preview images
that were released.
Welcome to Game Update 1.4: Terror from Beyond
Originally Posted by Blizzard
Blue Tracker /
Originally Posted by SWTOR
Our fourth major Game Update 1.4: Terror From Beyond
goes live today. The center piece is a new Operation that shares the name of the update. This new Op is our most ambitious and difficult to date. The visuals are amazing, the battles are uniquely challenging and the final boss is the most impressive we’ve ever released.
In addition to a new Op we’ve introduced many smaller changes. The shadow system has gone through an overhaul
that not only makes the game look better, but also makes the shadow system run better on many machine specs. Changes have been made to class balance, focused mainly on crowd control and the Resolve system. A lot of bug fixes as well.
This Game Update is also the start of a new release cadence. Our strategy so far has been to release big updates every few months. But this leaves long periods of time where you, our fans, don’t have anything new. So we’re moving to a model where we release Game Updates on a much more regular cadence. Our initial aim is for something as close to every six weeks
as we can get. I’d promise an exact schedule, but in a live game we need some flexibility as the stability of the service trumps the release of an update on a particular date.
This year has been exciting so far with three Game Updates. But before the end of the year, it’s our intention to have released another three Game Updates, starting with Terror From Beyond. This is in addition to moving to Free to Play. But I can say in all honesty, that our plans for 2013 are even bigger. Our team’s experience, improving tools and better production processes are allowing us to move faster in development than we ever have before. More exciting news to come!
Mists of Pandaria EU Launch Event
Blizzard shared some photos from the Mists of Pandaria EU Launch events on Facebook
. You can find the entire event video on Youtube