Migration to vBulletin - We're alive !
Now that the migration is behind us I figured it could be a good time to give you a few more details on what just happened with the site.
MMO-Champion has been running on Simple Machines Forum
(SMF) since day 1, it's a great forum software and I would still recommend it to anyone who wants to start a guild site. Sadly, we reached a point where there is so many people visiting MMO-Champion that it was just faster to move to vBulletin because of the tons of options and extra features. It never seemed to be urgent and we kept postponing the migration, again and again.
Last week, we eventually realized that the beta of Cataclysm was going to start soon and there was just no way for the site to survive the massive amount of traffic. The activity on forum went up by 100% in the last 3 months, the Cataclysm pages will generate extra pageviews, basically, we were in deep shit. There was a LOT of work done during the past 2 weeks to make it happen and we eventually came up with a "decent" version of the site powered by vBulletin, and pushed it live.
I clearly realize it's not perfect and a lot of stuff still sucks but it should be resolved pretty fast in the next few days. Basically:
- The Recent Forum Posts / Recent Articles box is still bugged, it will behave just like the old one when we're done with it. (Only shows thread and not replies, doesn't show off-topic forums, and we might add the Forum Name next to it actually)
- Custom Names will probably be back "soon".
- Role Playing Forums have been disabled very temporarily (until we bring back custom names, because they're pointless without it. I think we all agree about that)
- Guild Recruitment forums have been deactivated temporarily.
- Tons of stuff will be fixed soon, the only reason why I'm not listing everything is because I'm aware of how much work we have to polish everything. Don't worry, help is on its way.
Please just give us a few more days and then I'll personally give you a free pass to whine about anything on the site as much as you want. I promise the new site will make a lot of things better in the near future.
- Ok the last 10 hours of downtime weren't scheduled ... It was just a hardware screwup independant from the migration. That's pretty bad luck, I guess.
Continent-Wide Battlegrounds in Cataclysm
[blizzquote author=Kalgan source=http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/25170782836/what-s-your-largest-concern-with-rated-bgs/]We're currently expecting both normal and rated battlegrounds to be cross-battlegroup (within a region) for the launch of Cataclysm. So, players queueing from anywhere in north america could play vs players on any north american battlegroup, etc.[/blizzquote]
Cataclysm Screenshots of the Day
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment