Developer Q&A - Ion Hazzikostas
Ion Hazzikostas will be answering questions today about Patch 7.2.
Broken Isles Pathfinder
- Gear mattering is the default in WoW.
- Timewalking is there to normalize people of all levels so that they can do content together.
- The challenges not scaling means that they will become accessible over time to the entire audience.
- Green fire started off being challenging and eventually became easier.
- The challenges aren't made for a few percent of players. Over the long run more people will be able to enjoy them.
- Early on there is a lot of prestige being able to complete the challenge so early.
- There will be a large number of people that won't be able to do it with Tomb or Argus gear.
- The team didn't have the capacity to make 36 challenges, so they are happy with the ones they created.
- Overall the team is pretty satisfied with how things worked out.
- The team would have wanted to add another couple light requirements to Part 2, such as donate to buildings or kill elites, something that you would have gotten over time.
- Anyone who you see flying right now has done the outdoor content of Legion. Now you can enjoy the perks of flight.
Broken Shore Buildings
- The team doesn't have any plans to turn off the invasions right now, even way down the road.
- It is content for people to do, there isn't really any reason to turn it off.
- The team isn't thinking about changing the frequency of invasions.
- Unlike the pre-expansion patch invasions, these are taking place in zones players are actively using, shutting down other activity in that zone.
- The invasion achievement being required for flying would have been annoying, no one wants to get up at 3 AM for an invasion.
- Timewalking being up all of the time would result in people always or never wanting to do it.
- Contribution rates haven't declined so far. The team was expecting them to, but it hasn't happened yet.
- If contribution rates decline, the team will adjust the amount of supplies needed for the buildings.
Patch 7.2 Content Size
- Part of the reason is storytelling. The team is trying to create a global narrative, the forces of the Alliance, Horde, Legionfall, all building towards an event.
- Tomb will open when it opens for gameplay reasons. It was far too early to open it when Patch 7.2 released.
- The world story builds up towards Tomb opening.
- One option is everyone playing through the content leading up to Tomb opening in a few days, followed by a long wait with nothing.
- The other option is some weekly steps, alternating between meaty quests and filler. The team is aware they are giving us filler as a pacing step.
- Eventually the team realized (late in the PTR cycle) that the zone felt pretty empty with not a lot to do. They accelerated the release of the weekly steps, only leaving filler for the rest of progression.
- They didn't plan out the release of content as well as they should have.
- There are Artifact unlock challenge lines, class mount quests, artifact challenges, which took lots development resources. If you are only playing one character, you may only see 1/12th of the content.
- The team learned from this and will improve in the future.
Tomb Raid Testing
- In terms of the number of quests, creatures, text, and other things added, Patch 7.2 was a very big patch.
- More VO lines were recorded for Patch 7.2 than any previous expansion.
- The team completed a massive amount of content, but that doesn't mean anything to players if they feel like they don't have anything to do.
- What more would you like to see?
- If there were more traditional things like Isle of Thunder story questing, that would only add a few more hours of content. Is that enough?
- What do you expect in a big named patch?
- The right thing for you to do in Patch 7.2 was to go to Broken Shore and do the Artifact things.
- If you log in and see an invasion of a zone, you might want to go there first. The more things there are for you to do on Day 1, the less clear it is what you should do.
- The team could have done a better job of communicating how the content rollout was going to work.
- The class specific content probably won't continue going forward to Patch 7.3.
US Realms - World Boss - Si'vash
- More raid testing will take place over the coming weeks, LFR, Heroic, and Mythic.
is up now, so you can head to the Broken Shore for a chance at item level 900 loot, a Frost Relic, or Storm Relic.
US Realms - Nether Disruptor
The Nether Disruptor is active on US realms!