Page 1 of 59
... LastLast

Is American culture too violent?

Today in Arizona, at least 19 people were shot at a peaceful political rally. Thus far a Federal Judge, a nine year old girl and four others have died from this tragedy. A US Congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords, was shot in the temple and is currently in critical condition. The perpetrator is a 22 year old white male, having posted many "last notes" and several political rants about the failure of the government in various ways, such as not backing the US currency in gold. So far, he is the only real suspect. He fired with a semiautomatic pistol with an extended clip.

I'd like for this not to turn into Republican versus Democrat(at least not to a very strong extent), but what does this say about American society? What does this say for the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution? Does the propaganda of various political pundits and even politicians have a large role, such as Sarah Palin's cross-hairs over the portraits of various left-wing politicians, Giffords included?

Post your thoughts.

Update on Arizona:

Six confirmed dead now, Congresswoman Giffords is still sedated and in critical care.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2011-01-09 at 04:27 PM.

i don't think the culture is violent just people here are way to rash and get wraped up in the dumest things they then just keep adding more and more and mat one day take it out onn somone they have decided to blame, and as far as guns go anythign if used wrongly can kill like i can driv my car down the wrong way on the free way to kill me and others does than mean no one should have cars just because some misuse it

American culture is no more violent than other countries. iirc a month or so ago London was experiencing major riots because they tripled the tuiton cost. The riots involving much violence.

I just think humans in general are violent, or at least, instinctively become violent.

I really hope what happened in Arizona doesn't become fuel for "anti-gun" laws. It was a tragedy, and it was an unfortunate event, however it was the person who did it, not the gun. Even if you outlaw guns, the criminals will still find ways to get one. Disarming the citizens, in my opinion, is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

Quote Originally Posted by Drexxil View Post
    American culture is no more violent than other countries. iirc a month or so ago London was experiencing major riots because they tripled the tuiton cost. The riots involving much violence.
    In terms of gun violence, that's completely wrong. The amount of deaths to gunfire in the US is drastically larger than any other country in the world.**

**I don't mean countries like Sudan or Warzones

I just think humans in general are violent, or at least, instinctively become violent.

I really hope what happened in Arizona doesn't become fuel for "anti-gun" laws. It was a tragedy, and it was an unfortunate event, however it was the person who did it, not the gun. Even if you outlaw guns, the criminals will still find ways to get one. Disarming the citizens, in my opinion, is wrong.
    Yeah that's why I kinda fail to see the relation between the thread's title and the violent tragedy that was brought up in the post. Such things pretty much happen everywhere on the world.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    if we wana talk about violence in culture, lets talk about the drug cartels at war with the mexican government. thats a disturbing issue. a whole countries ARMY cant deal with drug dealers, does that scream problems?

on a side note: yay for republican motivated news!(ya, i went there)
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Americas fine, deal with it.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2011-01-09 at 05:00 AM.

Deleted

I think it probably will become an example for anti-gun laws, because of what you've just pointed out. There were riots in the UK in December due to a politician breaking a pledge he had signed saying he wouldn't allow for tuition fees to be raised. Thousands of students protested, however no-one (as far as I am aware) died, and there were relatively few injuries. I can certainly see people claiming this would not have been the case had guns been available.

one subculture should not summarize a whole country.

the second ammendment doesnt even matter to me, personally
    if i want a freaking glock next to my bed, ill have one damnit and with god as my witness ill use it whenever i damn well please.

its human nature (as a species, not individual) to disagree, slap eachother, then maybe bash eachothers head in with a rock.
    Last edited by DerpderpHAMMA; 2011-01-09 at 04:56 AM.

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

Deleted
    well you have to get that growing rate under controle somehow i guess

anyway, imo it's useless to arm citizens, that's what the "armed" forces are for, not?
    that's the difference between a soldier an a civilian.

basically, go and watch bowling for columbine, cannot be said any better.
    you dont need liters of napalm for self defense, the united states are WAY too armed.

but in the end it's "uuuuh i didn't know he was such a maniac, he seemed to be a normal guy with a basement full of guns sleeping with the usual bazooka under his pillow, who could have forseen THAT outcome!?" (yea, who but every being with a working brain)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not so much as american culture, as one nutjob taking it too far, imo, this is also the guy who sent letter bombs to government buildings correct?, i honestly don't think violence in media caused him to do this

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    In terms of gun violence, that's completely wrong. The amount of deaths to gunfire in the US is drastically larger than any other country in the world.**

If we're talking strictly gun violence, then yes. I read it as violence in general.

I believe the heavy count to deaths to gunfire is due to a couple of reasons. The American population is very large, and so there will be more reports. Guns are more readily available, yes, but the problem isn't that, it's education and proper control. I've seen articles in papers of people misfiring their gun on themselves, on someone else, hunting accidents, etc. Deaths from vehicles is also large in the US for much of the same reasons.

If the citizens who commonly own guns, or have friends who own guns were educated, and taught proper control of them, much like vehicles, we'd have less deaths from it.

Are you kidding me?

Humans as a race would not be here without "violence". We toughed it out to be the baddest race on the planet. It's in our DNA. We're hardwired to be violent, fighters, killers, warriors...

I think the parents could do a little better of a job raising their kids but as a whole we're just as violent as anyone else.
    MAL'GANIS HORDE!
    85 Troll ELE Shaman/81 Troll SRV Hunter

Deleted

hehe, could be even higher than the deaths by gunshots in the iraq war *G*
    (sorry couldnt resist)

Deleted

Don't think killed ones care much wheter they died to gunfire (if it's legal) or stabbed for example (in case guns were prohibited). Or actually by gunfire it's often the fastest way, least painful.

Question is - how many lives were saved because somebody was around with a gun to help ? And too stay on topic - why there was nobody around with a gun to shot down that guy in time or at least much sooner ? Actually culture is not violent, it's the opposite - people live in a false feeling of security and peace, so not many even care to think to protect themselves (and others).

right to bare fire arms is the most ridiculous right ever seriously
    and yes im european, but that shit is about to give serious problems now and then

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Necro View Post
    Americas fine, deal with it.
    I agree. Humans will be human. Most of the time it a shame but... what the dog said.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avezo View Post
    Don't think killed ones care much wheter they died to gunfire (if it's legal) or stabbed for example (in case guns were prohibited). Or actually by gunfire it's often the fastest way, least painful.

Question is - how many lives were saved because somebody was around with a gun to help ? And too stay on topic - why there was nobody around with a gun to shot down that guy in time or at least much sooner ? Actually culture is not violent, it's the opposite - people live in a false feeling of security and peace, so not many even care to think to protect themselves (and others).
    violence only produces more violence. quite simple actually.
    if guns are legal, it's not that shocking that there are more gun related crimes.

<3 logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Saix View Post
    right to bare fire arms is the most ridiculous right ever seriously
    and yes im european, but that shit is about to give serious problems now and then
    Right, so only the criminals who bought their guns from underground resources has the weapon. Let me call the police, and have them help us, they'll be here in 10 minutes maybe. By that time, the caller is already dead.

Disarming the citizens, is wrong. But so is arming them, and not giving them the proper education about it.

The problem isn't the gun, it's the person. Understand?

Our Justice System in the US is an abomination to the rest of the world. We are suppose to be the world police yet we can't control our own lawn.

There should be a law that says all gun owners must have their guns in a solid steel safe with a lock, and all guns must have trigger locks. If someone kills someone with your gun, then you would get accessory to murder. I bet everyone with a brain would have their guns in a safe with trigger locks after that. My ex assistant principal was assassinated by a fuck head kid who thought being 17 was tough and that his life was so terribly miserable even though he had everything handed to him on a silver platter; he also critically wounded the principal and shortly afterwords killed him self. You might of heard about it on the news (happened on Wednesday). Just Google Robert Butler Jr or Millard Assistant Principal Killed, and the story will surely pop up, and you can get all the details. I hope the dad, a cop gets accessory to murder for not having his gun locked him, which is against the police mandate that says all officers are to have their guns locked up when not on their belt. He won't though because he's a cop and our Justice System is fucked. Too many ignorant incompetent people in this country. Also, the ironic thing is the police department here in Omaha gives out FREE Trigger Locks.

I wrote a lot sorry, just kinda angry about our Justice System and have no respect for suiciders who take other lives before taking their own.

EDIT: Makes me even more angry because the Millard School System still isn't going to install metal detectors. I understand it's not good to give into fear, but I would rather be fearful then dead.
    Last edited by muto; 2011-01-09 at 05:10 AM.