Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The answer to the question by the OP - YES!

IMO, American is the .... (hmm wait, violent americans and maybe alot here...I will reserve my further comments)
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." ~William Faulkner
    "Ever look at the word 'Damage'? - It is clearly right in front of you...DA MAGE!"

I'm not sure if it's too violent or not, however, it definitely is NOT one of the more peaceful cultures.

Sure I guess compared to other Caucasian cultures it may not be, but definitely compared to Asian cultures, there is more violence in our culture.

What defines strength and greatness is very different, more violent here. Also what we consider the line between too violent and fun is vague and definitely "more violent."

Even by surfing the forums, flaming is more prevalent and less help is given. Try asking on the forums on how to lower gore on an fps game. Then try asking that on an Asian forum. =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexxil View Post
    Where in my post did I state I can't solve a problem without a gun? You don't bring a knife to a gun fight, understand?

Have fun trying to punch the criminal using a black market gun. Let me know how that turns out.
    jesus fuc..... christ. americans and gun, like babies and lollies.

"I need my gun! the cowboys had em! what if someone wants to steal my cows!"
    yea and if anyone graps your daughters ass, shot him, it's your right to defend her butt!

@topic: and you ask yourself if US culture is too violent?
    how about: yes. see this thread.

ps: @ Where in my post did I state I can't solve a problem without a gun? You don't bring a knife to a gun fight, understand?
    maybe not in your last one, but ermmm... you did after asking where you said it....
    Last edited by mmocf9825ee83e; 2011-01-09 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thane View Post
    yea, and that's why countries who allow everyone to buy a gun at wallmart have nearly the same ammount of gunshot related crimes compared to countries were guns are illegal.
    uh wait, they don't

grow some balls, you dont need to solve every bloody problem with a gun ^^
    just punch someone or kick him in the balls or whatever you like, what's wrong with you guys?

guns are made for war.
    nothing else, not selfe defense, not for helping grannies over the street..

nothing else but war.
    Please look up Switzerland. Every male is given an automatic rifle upon entering the military service as part of his obligations. They also happen to have one of the lowest gun-related crime rates in the world. Why? Ask someone if they feel like assaulting or robbing someone when his neighbours all have automatic weapons.

If you criminalize the ownership of firearms, the only people who would bear firearms would be criminals themselves. Thus, you leave the law abiding citizen completely vulnerable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    No, there was not a hero citizen with a gun to save the day. The perpetrator opened fire with an automatic rifle iin the crowd at point blank range and was eventually brought down(not killed or critically injured) by the security guard there. But to touch on your point, that's a very dangerous way to think. The point of these Congress by the corner is to be a down-to-earth, no big government event so people can get a sense that the officials they elected aren't just in the background, hiding from the public.

What I have a huge issue is Palin's chart:

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo...crosshairs.jpg

Where she uses cross-hairs to identify Congress members who voted yes for Medicare. What does propaganda like this say to a nutjob?
    About chart - same marks can be seen on supermarkets advertisements with good prices, used merely to focus attention, same with this chart - it's meant to eliminate these democrats - but from congress, not from real life - so it quite fit. Can't think of any other mark that would fit there actually - everything could be turned into some reference to "targets". The fact people see it that way shows they are overacting on the gun topics.

About that guy starting shooting - Then again - Why there was no hero to save a day ? Because people live in a false impression of safety and walk unarmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    right to bear arms... im a druid tank

OT: when the 2nd amendment was made they had to worry bout' da brits and other people who didnt like americans

Quote Originally Posted by wtbepix View Post
    Because we have guns ... now take a look at say ... England ... heavy restriction on fire-arms, but then you look at the rates for knife related attacks/killings
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

The US is the highest amongst all countries not in a war zone or otherwise(drug cartels, etc).

(Correct me if I'm wrong) On public TV:
    In many European countries you can show nudity but not gun violence ....
    In the US, you can show gun violence / explosions ... but not nudity
    This is very much correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jreg View Post
    Please look up Switzerland. Every male is given an automatic rifle upon entering the military service as part of his obligations. They also happen to have one of the lowest gun-related crime rates in the world. Why? Ask someone if they feel like assaulting or robbing someone when his neighbours all have automatic weapons.

If you criminalize the ownership of firearms, the only people who would bear firearms would be criminals themselves. Thus, you leave the law abiding citizen completely vulnerable.
    Well to be fair Switzerland is not really comparable to a lot of other states in the world.
    And by a lot I probably mean nearly all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Avezo View Post
    About chart - same marks can be seen on supermarkets advertisements with good prices, used merely to focus attention, same with this chart - it's meant to eliminate these democrats - but from congress, not from real life - so it quite fit. Can't think of any other mark that would fit there actually - everything could be turned into some reference to "targets". The fact people see it that way shows they are overacting on the gun topics.
    I'm not asking what this means to a rational person, I'm asking what this means to a nutjob that worships the political rock stars he listens to(hypothetical nutjob). Well, perhaps not entirely hypothetical afterall. Keep in mind, she was on this chart.

About that guy starting shooting - Then again - Why there was no hero to save a day ? Because people live in a false impression of safety and walk unarmed.
    Why is there a hero needed in the first place? Hmm? Why should we have to worry about our lives to the point where we carry a gun everywhere we go?

Deleted

IIRC, in Switzerland, the whole "gun under every pillow" sentiment goes back to the 60's and maybe earlier, where they supposedly slept with guns under their pillows in case someone (most likely Germany) invaded.

You'd need to have people to grow up in the same environment (fear of impending invasion by country who has been known to, without debate) to simulate the results that Switzerland got. Merely legalizing won't help.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Well to be fair Switzerland is not really comparable to a lot of other states in the world.
    And by a lot I probably mean nearly all of them.
    Possibly, but in Canada, people loooove hunting. We have several million guns lying around, and on a per capita basis, we have ten times less gun-related murders as compared to the US.

Deleted

and you guys wonder why you have so many amok runs and gunshot related crimes :P
    if you guys think war and weapons are the only way to achieve piece, i kinda feel sorry for you.

i never owned a single gun, no one ever broke into my home, stole my car or even threatened me with a gun.
    why? because guns are illegal here :> for citizens and criminals

funny story eh?
    Last edited by mmocf9825ee83e; 2011-01-09 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post

Why is there a hero needed in the first place? Hmm? Why should we have to worry about our lives to the point where we carry a gun everywhere we go?
    Well that question is kinda hard to answer isn't it ? ^ I don't know about other countries but we actually have a decent amount of violent crimes committed basically for fun. How is something like this rationally supposed to be explained.

Deleted
    yea, because his bros wont come for you, my bad, never happened anywhere... ever....!
    did you actually watch tv lately?

(example)
    you are being robbed (maybe with a gun), and people DO notice.
    but, shocking: people do not react!
    why, because they had no guns? or no balls rather

in general mankind is not the bravest creation, and if it's not about them, they will not risk their lives.
    or do you dare to disagree on that one?

well, and actually if the meanie would not have used a gun, you wouldn't need to shot him, right?
    violence produces violence, that's it, no matter what bush said :>

people need to be trained to analyze and react to situations properly. that's why cops ain't just get their gun and cute uniforms, but why they have to learn (and still, alot of them just fail at some situations)

but hey, why have cops at all? america has armed people! let them do the defending
    that's what is usually called anarchy, survival of the fittest, i thought mankind developed to a higher lvl than that, my bad, some did not obviously.
    Or rather his bros will be afraid to come at me after this ?
    Even if not and they take me down - I lived a little longer and took one murderer down with me, after my death investigation may get these "bros" down aswell. See only gains here.

and you guys wonder why you have so many amok runs and gunshot related crimes :P
    I don't think I understand what you're saying here at all.

jesus fuc..... christ. americans and gun, like babies and lollies.

"I need my gun! the cowboys had em! what if someone wants to steal my cows!"
    yea and if anyone graps your daughters ass, shot him, it's your right to defend her butt!

@topic: and you ask yourself if US culture is too violent?
    how about: yes. see this thread.
    Now I understand. You are merely a "troll". If you have nothing constructive to add, and are unwilling to effectively read my posts, and reply with sense, then please do not waste our time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    violence only produces more violence. quite simple actually.
    if guns are legal, it's not that shocking that there are more gun related crimes.

<3 logic.
    This. I guess you can call me a skeptic and such but I work around incidents like these and I must say there is always a bad apple and even if that bad apple does something its a societies fault for leaving that bad apple out of the pie.

We might be all different but in the end we are still all human "apples", work together.

~Kretic

Honestly america is tame compaired to europe, i mean no offence, but everytime the goverment does something overthere, you guys riot for weeks, france has like a riot forcast even
    And the gunman in AZ was a real psychopath, what i want to know is how he got ahold of several guns for this, there should be some kinda psych evaluation b4 u can even start buying a gun
    Also for the rest of the world, alot of the US is real rural areas still, like michigan, once ur past detroit u are in no mans land, there are real purposes to having a gun, plus most people who do own one usualy have it for sport hunting and dont carry it around
    Texas is an exception not an example
    Last edited by Sableye; 2011-01-09 at 05:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avezo View Post
    Or rather his bros will be afraid to come at me after this ?
    Even if not and they take me down - I lived a little longer and took one murderer down with me, after my death investigation may get these "bros" down aswell. See only gains here.
    hm why investigate? couldn't your neighbor just shot em down?
    no need to investigate is there?

uh, and have there been death casualties in france?
    baguette wars <3

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No American culture is not too violent you mentioned one psychopath who shot up an event. It's not going to change how I live my life or how I interact with people, if our culture had a bad violence problem people would not go out like they they do now or attend large events. We naturally trust other people around us, that wouldn't happen if we thought stepping on our front porch would get us shot.

Pretty sure getting killed with a gun or knife or pencil ect all sucks the same. Then again I'm Texan and I hunt so gun control sounds like a rotten deal to me lol, but bow hunting is fun too =/ also it's not so much that we are allowed to own guns, but the fact that the classes you take for a license are a joke.
    Last edited by Amsden; 2011-01-09 at 05:41 AM.