Question World of warcraft + skype = Lag(!?!?!)

Hi! just a quick question to try to find if someone have experienced the same problem and/or know a way to fix it!

My girlfriend can play Wow Instances without lag. She can play WoW and have spotify, webbrowser and/or ventrilo running the background without lag. BUT if she log into skype, and join a conversation, she get tons of lag instances even become unplayable (<1 fps).

I can not for the love of god, understand what is wrong...

anyone with ideas?

Dunno if this the right spot you should had posted this thread but, have you tried deleting WTF and cache folders???

Hmm.. How is this related to interface and macros?

I have no idea what is causing this..
    Anyway, backup your WTF, Cache and Interface folders and then delete the originals.
    Delete Skype and redownload it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Yea i know its wrong :s i failed badly

Hmm... guess thats the only thing i can try
    Last edited by Bulldozzer; 2011-01-11 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Add moar texts

Deleted
    Moved to Computers.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of cpu/memory does your girlfriend have in her computer? Spotify, a web browser, or vent are all very minimal impact programs whereas skype will try its hardest to use everything your computer has to make the call quality as good as possible, especially if you're doing a video call.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimoos View Post
    What kind of cpu/memory does your girlfriend have in her computer? Spotify, a web browser, or vent are all very minimal impact programs whereas skype will try its hardest to use everything your computer has to make the call quality as good as possible, especially if you're doing a video call.
    This. It could be that your girlfriends CPU is not processing shit fast enough. I don't believe memory affects it so much. In my personal experience with too little or unefficient memory, WoW doesn't get lagged, it freezes for a moment and falls. If the CPU is the problem, it's easy and cheap to fix unless the motherboard is too old. If however the MB is new enough to handle Intels 775 socket, you will propably get trough it with 50-70 euros or dollars, all depending on where you live. But yeah, definately a hardware problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skype is known to effect wow gameing traffic, do the latency fix with wow, and youre network card will prioritise networking traffic over everything else.

Also make sure you run both wow and skype as administrator.
    Stockli = Me
    Bladefist = Home

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    She most likely has 3gb of ram or less. WoW uses up to 3gb of ram (32bit) so anything less than that would cause a problem like this. Also a low-end CPU would cause similar problems. Tell her to consider upgrading her ram or CPU to obtain better results.
    PM me with any questions/concerns you may have.

Deleted
    If Windows Vista or Windows 7 is used, I would advice running "Resource Monitor" to see whats going on during these conditions. Sort by Average CPU use so you don't rely on a live feed (which can be deceptive).

In particular, I'm curious as to where the CPU resources are going. Skype will use some resources when a conversation is active, but unless the CPU is very weak - it should not cause these dramatic changes.

I would also suggest making sure that the Flash Player version is recent - Skype relies on it for some features, and if its not working properly - that could be the cause of the excessive problems (and cause excessive load on the GPU). It may even be worth it to try the Flash Player 10.2 RC (Release Candidate):
    http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-01-12 at 02:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gat View Post
    She most likely has 3gb of ram or less. WoW uses up to 3gb of ram (32bit) so anything less than that would cause a problem like this. Also a low-end CPU would cause similar problems. Tell her to consider upgrading her ram or CPU to obtain better results.
    WoW does not have LAA enabled, so it can only access 2GB. In addition, WoW's garbage collection sub-system is specifically designed around a 2GB maximum.

Also, it's pretty poor form to suggest a hardware upgrade without knowing what hardware is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    WoW does not have LAA enabled, so it can only access 2GB. In addition, WoW's garbage collection sub-system is specifically designed around a 2GB maximum.

Also, it's pretty poor form to suggest a hardware upgrade without knowing what hardware is being used.

I have a question for you please, not regarding this topic in general, but it could help me out understanding this issue!

What does, in your specific position, LAA mean?

Edit; Could it be Large Address Aware?

Deleted
    Low performance has nothing to do with lag and vice versa when people will start to understand this... Lag is delay between client and server. Anyway try use older version of skype, there is one rule with that kind of programs: older they are - better they work and propably there is something wrong with motherboard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsz View Post
    I have a question for you please, not regarding this topic in general, but it could help me out understanding this issue!

What does, in your specific position, LAA mean?

Edit; Could it be Large Address Aware?
    Yes. Large Address Awareness allows 32-bit applications to use upward of 3GB RAM. Without that enabled, a 32-bit application is limited to 2GB. Even if the client were to have LAA enabled, the garbage collection system would still require the memory usage to be under 2GB. If you remember the period of time during 3.3.3(?) when people were constantly crashing, usually in Dalaran, due to Out of Memory errors... that was due to a bug in the client allowing it to address over 2GB, which caused the garbage collection routine to freak out and toss an error.