Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Sorry Op you are totally wrong . Effective communication does not depend on correct spelling or grammar . If I sent you a text message that said " hey man i'll brb im helping your uncle jack off a horse " in reality you would not think for a moment I was helping your uncle do some sick thing to an animal . You would know that you're uncles names is JACK and he is horse back riding . The saddest thing about spelling and grammar NAZI's is that much like wow elitists who think they are sooooo awesome at wow ...someone is always much much better then them .

Quote Originally Posted by kampvogn View Post
    Did it then degrade or evolve from runes and hieroglyphs to this? both systems were more complex. Ill conclude that evolving is degrading.
    Alphabet degraded, language evolved. If you consider that each hieroglyph / rune equaled one word or even set of words (like adjective-noun) then you have to compare them to words. I am pretty sure that modern english has way more words than amount of runes / hieroglyphs / pictograms in any ancient language.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Steavz View Post
    I know a lot of people don't care about proper grammar (in their native language no less). You have to understand though, you sound ridiculous when you spell things improperly, use/don't use proper punctuation, or spl like ur txting. But if you could actually hear what it sounds like, you'd sound like this...

"lololol w/e, this isnt english class, lolz"

This is what you sound like in my head.
    I have to admit, I just watched this video now, and I soaked myself. Best parts are "worthles" and "beacause".

Quote Originally Posted by Gotjuice View Post
    How about you all stop thinking the world rotates around the USA and figure out a lot of ppl (like myself) on these forums don't speak English as their first language. Actually the non-english speakers who come in here and post/read these forums have an upper hand on yourself. How many of you could go into a French or Spanish forum and contribute? Thats what I thought...
    You realise the English language originates from England, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Sorry Op you are totally wrong . Effective communication does not depend on correct spelling or grammar . If I sent you a text message that said " hey man i'll brb im helping your uncle jack off a horse " in reality you would not think for a moment I was helping your uncle do some sick thing to an animal . You would know that you're uncles names is JACK and he is horse back riding . The saddest thing about spelling and grammar NAZI's is that much like wow elitists who think they are sooooo awesome at wow ...someone is always much much better then them .
    Why do you think OP believes he is elitist? Why are people, who talk about grammar, always attacked for "being elitist"?

Besides, you are missing the point of grammar. Sure, in most cases it's not hard to figure out what person really meant even if grammar is not used. However it is harder to understand. And sometimes it may be misleading. And still, sometimes - impossible. Grammar is here to help us avoid misunderstandings and to better communicate. Posts without grammar are usually harder to read / understand.

If poster doesn't care about his grammar then for me he doesn't really care for whether people understand him or not, meaning he doesn't really care for what he says, meaning it's not really important / valuable to read.
    Or he thinks that he is so "elitist" and so valuable poster that he doesn't have to worry about grammar / spelling and still everyone will do everything to decipher his post to understand. Because that's how it's valuable. Who is elitist here now? :S

To sum up - by neglecting grammar / proper spelling you make it easier for you to write, but harder for others to read. One person has it easier, hundreds / thousands have it harder. That's pretty egoistic, isn't it?
    Last edited by procne; 2011-01-21 at 11:34 AM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

If someone sent me a text saying they're going to help their uncle jack off a horse, i would definitely think it's sick shit. For a start, why would i want to know your uncles name is jack? You could just as easily say, "i'm going to help my uncle off his horse", i don't need to know which uncle. Most people wouldn't feel the need to say that. Grammar is a very important part of any language, without it you make very little sense in a speaking/reading sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh my god.....that video made my night

MissP
    Fourteen pages and no Dear John yet?

Dear John,
    I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy--will you let me be yours?
    Jane

Pretty nice letter, or is it?

Dear John,
    I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?
    Yours,
    Jane

The original video amused me just as much as this letter does.

Quote Originally Posted by MissP View Post
    Fourteen pages and no Dear John yet?

Dear John,
    I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy--will you let me be yours?
    Jane

Pretty nice letter, or is it?

Dear John,
    I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?
    Yours,
    Jane

The original video amused me just as much as this letter does.
    or this:

dear john i want a man who knows what love is all about you are generous kind thoughtful people who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior you have ruined me for other men i yearn for you i have no feelings whatsoever when were apart i can be forever happy will you let me be yours jane

Deleted
    How about you all stop thinking the world rotates around the USA and figure out a lot of ppl (like myself) on these forums don't speak English as their first language. Actually the non-english speakers who come in here and post/read these forums have an upper hand on yourself. How many of you could go into a French or Spanish forum and contribute? Thats what I thought...
    If people thought the world revolved around the USA because of the language they speak, shouldn't the UK get a bigger slice of the cake? English did of course originate from England :P

I once read an article about how a king once sent off a letter saying that his prisoner was to be freed, but a misplaced comma caused the prisoner to be executed, instead.
    If only google would stop linking me to schools and death penalty pages -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    I rarely care about peoples grammar on the game.
    On these forums however, people annoy me.
    >>This is where I'd put a witty quote for my Signature<<
    IF I HAD ONE

Deleted
    I'm English and speak very little of other languages and I still manage to speak on French forums with very little complaint about my spelling/grammar. Language translators are wonderful things.

There is a difference between using a foreign language and not grasping all the nuances of it, and being born into that language and typing like a moron.

Deleted
    I'm all in for things like; Lol, Wtf, fml etc. In a game enviroment, because, even my parrents know what those means. But when people start typing as if they're facerolling, it's just annoying, try having a spelling disorder and read when people type as if they're texting while driving and not looking at the phone. It's not hard to type those extra few letters, I for one, if I would start type the text language it would take me more time then it would save, True story.

The most infamous wow grammar error; Rouges are OP.
    Last edited by mmocf9f42e6e77; 2011-01-21 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Entered the darklegacy comic about rouges!

Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    I have to admit, I just watched this video now, and I soaked myself. Best parts are "worthles" and "beacause".
    That's what I originally was going for. I didn't mean for it to come off so condescending as the video was supposed to sort of neutralize what I wrote. But I'll admit, it's fun going through the thread and being able to spot the ones that read the OP and watched the video and the ones that are just responding to the title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyminxy View Post
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but "Why is proper grammar important" would be a much more sounding as far as sentence composition goes. Mr Original Poster, you need to be properly edumacated yourself.
    You sir, do not win any internets. It is a statement that flows into the OP and the video. Perhaps rolling dots (...) at the end would have sufficed, but it definitely doesn't have to be a question.
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-21 at 12:18 PM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinwtf View Post
    You're tie makes it seem as if your on a important trip.

^ Massacred sentence! ^
    Grammatically that sentence is massacred but I'm not an idiot so I would still know exactly what you would be trying to say.

The original video sounded fine to me as well. Amazingly, not being a retard myself, I knew exactly what the reviewer was saying even with the condescending voice actor overreacting to every miss-spelled word. If the meaning or entire point of a message can be passed from one source to another without ''proper'' grammar then grammar is not necessary in informal settings. Being unable to read or understand something like the review narrated in the OP video seems to be the OPs shortcoming for not being able to put the meaning together themselves because they are too busy throwing a fit over unimportant details. Don't understand my post? then you're loss for being to stubborn or ignorant yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Gramticly that sntnce is masacrd but eye m nt a idiot so I wld stil no exctly wat u wld b tryn 2 say.

Teh orgnl vid snded fin 2 me as wel. Amzinly, not bing a rtrd mslf, I new exctly wat teh revewr was sayn evn wit the cndsendig voise actar ovarreeactin 2 avry mispeld wrd.
    Just because you can decipher it, doesn't mean you should be forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Grammatically that sentence is massacred but I'm not an idiot so I would still know exactly what you would be trying to say.

The original video sounded fine to me as well. Amazingly, not being a retard myself, I knew exactly what the reviewer was saying even with the condescending voice actor overreacting to every miss-spelled word. If the meaning or entire point of a message can be passed from one source to another without ''proper'' grammar then grammar is not necessary in informal settings. Being unable to read or understand something like the review narrated in the OP video seems to be the OPs shortcoming for not being able to put the meaning together themselves because they are too busy throwing a fit over unimportant details. Don't understand my post? then you're loss for being to stubborn or ignorant yourself.
    So now people, who have problems with understanding sentences without proper grammar, are called ignorant, and not the ones who ignore grammar?

And actually this is formal setting. Because you are talking publically here, to people who don't know you, to people that you don't know. To people with different knowledge of english language, different manners. Formal setting is THE universal one

Also, some people like to defend themselves by saying that there are many people for whom english is not first language, so we can't expect to speak perfectly. I will just say that because there are many people for whom english is not first language, those who can use it correctly should do so, so that those people have easier time understanding / learning it.

This

People overreact to the importance of grammar in informal conversations. I would not be a moron and misconstrued that text as something sick. I don't so much agree with the ''elitist'' statement but it is funny when people who freak out about grammar are actually in a way stupider for not understanding or tolerating even the simplest things in their modern society because of their ignorance and just being generally far to uptight.

(not sure if this will be a double post but it will be fixed if it is)