Thread: Fuck DRM Rant

15+ Year Old Account

Fuck DRM Rant

So today after work I got to a local games shop to see what's new in store. Wooo shiny, they got Dead Space 2 already, and I loved (and feared) the first one! Instant-buy!

Then first my DVD-drive makes very funny noises, I have to restart the PC several times until it can finally read the install disc. Now i finished installing, activated the thing with my code. And now I CANNOT PLAY IT. Because apparently the PC release date is the 27th of january and so I can only activate the game tomorrow. There was not a single line on the box telling me that I couldn't play the game I JUST PAYED 50 EUROS FOR. I fucking hate DRM and online release date fuckups.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Next time just torrent it.

Seriously? You know, if I were you, I'd actually file a complaint with the BBB if in fact they did not any warning or notice of that with or on your purchase.
    You'll be surprised on how much companies actually pay attention those if well written. I filed one with Blizzard over a dispute with their Blizzcon store, Blizzard contacted me and asked if a free week of game time would be sufficient enough compensation.

Deleted
    It's only a few hours, if it was like a week or something I could understand

I heard there is this site that can help with these kinds of problems, it's about people with eyepatches and wooden legs, parrots and stuff, and bays. Arrr...

Too bad the only thing you can do as a consumer is to vote with your wallet, and even then the game companies won't care because their lost profit is minimal.

blame someone else, works for the whole USA

DO IT!!

*shrug* It's DRM. Did you honestly expect it to do anything but prevent legitimate consumers from actually being able to use the products they pay for?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathcrab View Post
    It's only a few hours, if it was like a week or something I could understand
    It's not really a few hours, I have to work 14+ hours tomorrow and I don't know if I got any gaming time tomorrow afternoon then. That's why I bought a new game TODAY in the first place, because TODAY I had time to play games. But apparently the game doesn't want to play with me.

--

Also, I remember the time I brought Morrowind (still one of the best PC games ever). It was a HUGE box, it's price was 40 euros, it didn't have ANY DRM SHIT, and it had a huge map of the island with it, an Ordinator tin figure, an art book, and some other stuff I forgot. The moment I installed it I could play it, and that I did for more than 2 years with all the mods.

Today I buy a game, and all I get is a shitty dvd box with 3 flyers for other games in it. If I'm very lucky there's even a 3 page manual inside with keyboard layouts. The full manual is on the disc as a pdf file of course. You want extra stuff? Buy DLCs, buy collectors editions (lol 100 euros)!

Crappy day...

P.S. Funny thing is, the most pirated game of the last ~5 years is Spore. Which has the most ridiculous DRM ever. And the least pirated games? Little indy games without any DRM. So yeah...
    Last edited by AetherMcLoud; 2011-01-26 at 08:36 PM.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

15+ Year Old Account
    A release date is a release date. If the shop sold the game early they either: 1) Weren't supposed to sell it early, or 2) Assumed you would know that the game couldn't be played until the correct day.

Bad practice on the shop's part? Yes, for both.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    I know right. All this "Don't steal DVDs" crap when you're actually a good person and decide to BUY it. It's not like WE need it. Hell, those countless minutes of telling us what's bad is going to make us more likely to just download it, to skip all that nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilegamesh View Post
    Next time just torrent it.
    /pimpslap, you know torrenting is illegal and nobody does it *wink wink*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
    I know right. All this "Don't steal DVDs" crap when you're actually a good person and decide to BUY it. It's not like WE need it. Hell, those countless minutes of telling us what's bad is going to make us more likely to just download it, to skip all that nonsense.
    Indeed, I always think of this picture:

Because it's the truth. I buy a movie, and I have to sit through MINUTES of fucking anti piracy ads, fbi warnings and what have you, until I can finally get to the dvd/blu-ray menu, because while the anti-piracy stuff is playing all the buttons are locked. Meanwhile pirates just watch the same movie without any of the pre-movie bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Meanwhile pirates just watch the same movie without any of the pre-movie bullshit.
    Arr Matey ye be speakin the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    if I'm in a crappy group one of my favorites to use is:
    "is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18"

I'm not entirely sure this is true for games, but pirating does nothing but help movies (ticket sales moreso than dvd sales). Many of those people that watch those crappy cam versions will eventually see the movie in theatres. Now those who record cams and then sell them, those people hurt everybody.

This must be why Skidrow and Razor haven't released cracks yet. Didn't know pc was a separate release. Ty op.

Indeed, I always think of this picture:]
    Because it's the truth. I buy a movie, and I have to sit through MINUTES of fucking anti piracy ads, fbi warnings and what have you, until I can finally get to the dvd/blu-ray menu, because while the anti-piracy stuff is playing all the buttons are locked. Meanwhile pirates just watch the same movie without any of the pre-movie bullshit.
    Its only a few minutes of ads, dont cry over it

I bought mass effect for the pc a few years ago, went home and read some reviews before opening it to make sure it wasn't awful (had bought the RE4 pc port prior, HOLY FUCK THAT PORT WAS AWFUL. I mean really? no mouse support in a shooter? wtf? omg interactive cutscene! press 4! *pressing 4 nothing happens* game means the 4th button down on the control setup screen) and heard while the port was pretty good, it had a lot of DRM in it so I just took it back.

I just mute the sound and look away when I'm not on the PC (which has a player that can skip all silly ads piracy and crap!). Bugs me so much. Though there is irony in getting a pirated film that still has the anti piracy propaganda on it.
    To purr, or not to purr...

10+ Year Old Account
    P.S. Funny thing is, the most pirated game of the last ~5 years is Spore. Which has the most ridiculous DRM ever. And the least pirated games? Little indy games without any DRM. So yeah...
    The Sims 2 was also heavily pirated due to their ridiculous DRM as well, I think it was 2nd only to Spore. I also remembered the shitstorm that happened when EA began to use DRM (I believe it was SecuROM) for The Sims 2 expansions.

Indeed, I always think of this picture:

*Do'h! Moment picture*

Yep, it never made fucking sense to deliver those message to people who most likely weren't pirating in the first place.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2011-01-26 at 11:15 PM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    Yep, it never made fucking sense to deliver those message to people who most likely weren't pirating in the first place.
    Yeah, the worst was the Denzel Washington vehicle "Man on Fire". I rented it and put it in my dvd player. First there was like 5 minutes of anti-piracy crap. Unskippable. Then there were 2 unskippable movie trailers (WTF?!) and then something else came that was unskippable and not the main menu, so I just brought the dvd back to the rental shop and never saw the movie. The fuck.