Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Like others have said here, haste and mastery are very close together in priority. Ignore the ones saying mastery is better, ignore the one's saying haste is better. The key thing is haste>mastery, until YOU have enough haste to heal how YOU want to heal. Personally I don't want large amounts of haste so i prefer mastery over it. Chimeron is the only fight i find myself thinking "maybe i'd like more haste" All other times, cho'galls shadow nova, Nefs crackle i always have enough time to heal up from perhaps as we move into heroics now i'll favour haste more but for now i prefer mastery, but it's not a case of mastery is better, it's what works for you, 12.5% raid buffed isn't a "magic number" but it is the point you get another renew tick which after the patch will be more important but now it's just making a bad spell slightly more acceptable. Crit is bad as everyones said, i do take crit pieces offset for disc to swap in, crit vs haste for disc is another similar discussion so it's no good saying take haste if you're ever going disc either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fianzo View Post
    Like others have said here, haste and mastery are very close together in priority. Ignore the ones saying mastery is better, ignore the one's saying haste is better. The key thing is haste>mastery, until YOU have enough haste to heal how YOU want to heal. Personally I don't want large amounts of haste so i prefer mastery over it. Chimeron is the only fight i find myself thinking "maybe i'd like more haste" All other times, cho'galls shadow nova, Nefs crackle i always have enough time to heal up from perhaps as we move into heroics now i'll favour haste more but for now i prefer mastery, but it's not a case of mastery is better, it's what works for you, 12.5% raid buffed isn't a "magic number" but it is the point you get another renew tick which after the patch will be more important but now it's just making a bad spell slightly more acceptable. Crit is bad as everyones said, i do take crit pieces offset for disc to swap in, crit vs haste for disc is another similar discussion so it's no good saying take haste if you're ever going disc either.
    This just made me die a little inside. Renew's not a bad spell

Deleted
    What i mean is, renew for its mana cost and the nature of damage at the moment it's weaker than it has been in the past and although haste improves it it doesnt improve it to the point that you'd prioritise it over most spells given the choice. After the patch it won't be so crippling if there's overheal because the mana cost is down and it will be used more. (saying this on some fights renew is a good option)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fianzo View Post
    What i mean is, renew for its mana cost and the nature of damage at the moment it's weaker than it has been in the past and although haste improves it it doesnt improve it to the point that you'd prioritise it over most spells given the choice. After the patch it won't be so crippling if there's overheal because the mana cost is down and it will be used more. (saying this on some fights renew is a good option)

I agree. Renew is almost usless at the moment. You can ditch more healing with other spells and the mana cost won't be that much different. Renew is a fail atm. Unlike rejuvenation spams. I find myself outbested in healing by druids in a few green items...But oh, well, nothing much has changed in terms of that. People keep telling me priest are epic in 25 mans...I do not do 25 mans and prob won't do in the next few months. If priests are good in there it's just because 24 people stand in the sanctuary...well that doesn't make us great healers, it makes our class abilities more viable, thats about it. I'm currently happy with holy priests overall, but we do need a buff. Those damn druids are still on top(on most fights) and those paladins mana regen is ridiculous.

As for the question.

Int(I get it from items and a few gems)>Spirit>Mastery>Haste>Crit - I get as much spirit I can and reforge what I can towards mastery. Mastery for holy priests is cool. I have like extra 26% of the amount healed and 26% is something.

P.S Gief holy priests more regen and a considerable renew buff, just don't make it the same as it was in Wotlk(spamming and such). And yes, I know Blizzard won't read this . I just want to whine.

Deleted
    Renew will be fine in 4.0.6, it's a bit expensive now, but calling is useless is just dumb. There are so many fights right now where movement is required and you can't just stand still and spam PoH etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsoul View Post
    I agree. Renew is almost usless at the moment. You can ditch more healing with other spells and the mana cost won't be that much different. Renew is a fail atm. Unlike rejuvenation spams. I find myself outbested in healing by druids in a few green items...But oh, well, nothing much has changed in terms of that. People keep telling me priest are epic in 25 mans...I do not do 25 mans and prob won't do in the next few months. If priests are good in there it's just because 24 people stand in the sanctuary...well that doesn't make us great healers, it makes our class abilities more viable, thats about it. I'm currently happy with holy priests overall, but we do need a buff. Those damn druids are still on top(on most fights) and those paladins mana regen is ridiculous.

As for the question.

Int(I get it from items and a few gems)>Spirit>Mastery>Haste>Crit - I get as much spirit I can and reforge what I can towards mastery. Mastery for holy priests is cool. I have like extra 26% of the amount healed and 26% is something.

P.S Gief holy priests more regen and a considerable renew buff, just don't make it the same as it was in Wotlk(spamming and such). And yes, I know Blizzard won't read this . I just want to whine.
    Umm, you must be doing something wrong because Restoration Druids are definitely below Holy Priests. We carry three Resto Druids in our raids some nights when another healer doesn't show and I've yet to see one of them top myself (Holy Priest) or one of our Pallys.

I also agree that it is completely up to you as a Holy Priest to choose Haste or Mastery. Personally, I've tried both and prefer to get haste to 7.5% in order to hit the extra tick of renew with the 5% haste raid buff, and then stack solely Mastery. My suggestion is to try out both Haste and Mastery stacking a few times and then make your decision. Reforging hardly costs a thing anyway.

Good luck!

Intelect+Mastery / Intelect+Spirit gems everywhere. Reforge to get to like 12% haste and you should be OK with around 346 ilvl gear.
    Yesterday i pulled 20k hps on Chima in BWD and i didnt run oom. Holy rocks atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trakker View Post
    Intelect+Mastery / Intelect+Spirit gems everywhere. Reforge to get to like 12% haste and you should be OK with around 346 ilvl gear.
    Yesterday i pulled 20k hps on Chima in BWD and i didnt run oom. Holy rocks atm.
    The 12% figure goes back to the extra tick on Renew, which isn't something you should base your gear around. I'm choosing Haste over Mastery in order to get my Heal as fast as possible. But that doesn't mean gearing for Mastery is a bad option.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    The 12% figure goes back to the extra tick on Renew, which isn't something you should base your gear around. I'm choosing Haste over Mastery in order to get my Heal as fast as possible. But that doesn't mean gearing for Mastery is a bad option.
    Well i personally stick to these 12% even tho if i drop lower i wouldnt mind but its just a number that i have as a target to keep some balance.

And Mastery is pretty nice. Yesterday a qucik look at recount was something like this:
    1st - Prayer of healing
    2nd - Echo of life (Mastery)
    3rd - CoH

Have in mind this is valid for fights with a lot of AoE healing going on. But after all holy is mostly about raid healing.

In my opinion, I tend to view Haste and Mastery as essentially equivalent, with a slight favor toward Mastery. They both provide excellent benefits, and by the nature of the stats, each one gets better as you get more of the other. As such, I believe it is important to keep them at a relative balance. I end up with a lot of Mastery pieces, because no one else wants them, so I do end up reforging/gemming for Haste to maintain that balance, and I definitely do feel a difference if that balance gets too far off, either from a lack of efficiency or a lack of casting speed.

As for priorities, Intellect is far and away your best stat. Not only is it your best throughput point for point, but it provides decent regen too, so it should always be favored when evaluating enchants, gemming, etc.

Spirit is next, as it is easily the best regen stat, but it's very much like Hit is for DPS, in that we favor it up to a point where we have enough regen, and then it loses value because excessive regen provides no benefit. IMO, the appropriate amount of Spirit for normal raids is around 2500, assuming appropriate regen procs and all that, and a bit higher for Heroics.

Haste and Mastery are roughly even, so I put them at this level behind Spirit. Haste is your second best throughput stat, behind Intellect, but it provides no direct HPM benefit. Mastery provides some decent HPS and HPM, but the nature of it requires careful attention to maximize its effectiveness. If you lack too much in Haste, you can't get enough casts off or have to rely on less efficient heals at times, and people die or you OOM. If you lack too much in Mastery, you lose a lot of effective HPS and HPM, and potentially have to cast extra heals , and you risk going OOM.

Crit is easily the worst stat for Holy Priests. It not only provides less HPS than Haste and Mastery, but it is RNG, so you'll overheal one moment, and not get the throughput you need the next. Beyond that, Holy Priests get sufficient Crit from Intellect and Raid buffs, and when it is really needed most, you're likely in Serenity and getting that Crit bonus anyway. Flat out avoid Crit gear when possible, and always reforge it when you do end up with it.

As such, gemming is easy. Red sockets always get 40 Intellect, no exceptions. Yellow sockets usually get 20 Int / 20 Haste or 20 Int / 20 Mastery, depending one where those stats are; I match them because I need them for my Meta anyway, but the socket bonuses are also worth it. Blue gems typically get 20 Int / 20 Spirit, but if it's a crap bonus, you may go with straight Int; personally, all the socket bonuses have been worth it to me. Your meta should be 54 Int / 2% Mana.