Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Tool of the week. (new)

Ok, I thought this would be really fun. I have a local radio show that does this and I find it very entertaining. Every week on Tuesday (Tool Tuesdays), people will call in and give their story on a "tool". The next following week on Tuesday, they do it again but also list the winner from the previous week. Rinse and repeat. It is kind of a kick in my opinion. Everyone tell us a story of a tool they encounter during the week. So by the end of that week, we can create a poll to see who the winner is.

If it doesn't work then oh well... it was worth a shot.

My tool of the week:

I work at a call center for my local power company and I deal with tools all day long but the one I feel like mentioning is the folllowing -
    Customer calls in about her account because it was turned off for non-payment. She is already upset because her power got turned off and so she starts yelling at me to turn her power back on right now. First of all... I don't turn people's power on from a flip of a switch. We actually have to send a serviceman out in the field to turn power on/off from their meter. So already this lady sounds ridiculous. Second of all, this lady had not made a payment on her account for over 2 months.

So I told her we needed a payment before we can reconnect her service. She said that no one called her to let her know her power was about to be shut off. I almost laughed... Not once has this company ever called a customer to let them know their power is about to be shut off and even if we did, who knows if she answered her phone. Most large utility companies will send notifications by mail that they are late on their power bill. So, I told her that. She said she needs special treatment because its a second home and she doesn't live there. I told her then that she needs to update her mailing address so you can receive your bills and late notices. She then resorted to name calling and profanity. Then insulting me telling me I don't know what i am doing. I ended up disconnecting the call at that point and the customer called back to report me to my superior... my superior didn't even take the time to listen to the recorded call because the lady was so out of control there was no reason for it.

anyway, sorry for long read. my tool of the week.
    Last edited by Son of Lothar; 2011-02-01 at 09:04 PM.

You sound like the tool in this story.

I agree with electrikfuzz on this one. The lady in your story may've been mistaken in her approach, but the way you tell it just makes you look like you were getting your jollies off someone else's problem, and then decided to advertise as much to the rest of the world. GG
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphmortus View Post
    saelthos, I think you are the most rational person I have ever seen on a gaming forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was expecting Tool Time with Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    CRAAAAWLING IIIIIIN MYYYYY SKIIIIIIIIN

Deleted
    My right hand

Quote Originally Posted by saelthos View Post
    I agree with electrikfuzz on this one. The lady in your story may've been mistaken in her approach, but the way you tell it just makes you look like you were getting your jollies off someone else's problem, and then decided to advertise as much to the rest of the world. GG
    Are you guys really going to attempt to break apart my story rather then try and attempt to play the game to make it fun? really, just keep it to yourself if thats how you feel. The main purpose of this thread to start a fun thread on people who act like tools. I don't see the problem in that.

Since you decided to attempt to troll this thread. I can tell you that I have experience in what I do and I honestly say that working in customer service you see a lot of idiots who expect something for nothing. That is today's society... live with. With that said... its clearly obvious that this lady called to complain without taking any responsibility for her own actions. People need to be responsibile for their own account and not blame others to make themselves feel better. That to me is a tool.
    Last edited by Son of Lothar; 2011-02-01 at 10:12 PM.

Deleted
    if it was a funny story then good..But

Poor woman, she couldn't pay her bill, she might of had kids, etc.. I can understand why she was unhappy ,you don't know her situation
    then mocking her misery?

I think this needs /closing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Are you guys really going to attempt to break apart my story rather then try and attempt to play the game to make it fun? really, just keep it to yourself if thats how you feel. The main purpose of this thread to start a fun thread on people who act like tools. I don't see the problem in that.

Since you decided to attempt to troll this thread. I can tell you that I have experience in what I do and I honestly say that working in customer service you see a lot of idiots who expect something for nothing. That is today's society... live with. With that said... its clearly obvious that this lady called to complain without taking any responsibility for her own actions. People need to be responsibile for their own account and not blame others to make themselves feel better. That to me is a tool.
    Honestly, both you and the customer acted like tools. As for keeping opinions to ourselves? You posted on an open internet forum. If you don't want people commenting on how you do your job, don't post about you doing your job. That simple really.

The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark...

I go to the gym daily, yesterday at the gym I saw the biggest tool I've seen in ages. He was around 18-19 and he brought a girl, one would assume it was his girlfriend. I watched this kid go around the gym and proceed to use equipment improperly, putting as much weight has he could on things and flailing around to move the weight around. Sadly, the girl he was with seemed rather impressed by this. Then every few minutes he would walk by the mirror section and flex, and just stare at himself, then walk back over by the girl, lift some random weight while eyeing her down. It was rather creepy to be honest.

So my tool of the week goes to the creeper at the gym.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

I'd have to agree with them.

As written you appear to be the tool in this story.

I have about $300 worth of food in my fridge that would be destroyed from a lengthy power outage.
    I could not prepare proper meals for my 19 month old son with a lengthy power outage.

If I called you being upset my power had been cut out and we found out that it was due to an error from the billing address being wrong I would certainly hope that you would have some decency and help me out as best you could - rather than hang up on me.

I'll give you a grain of salt - and assume that she was extremely belligerent and that you ended for that reason rather than to be even more hurtful in an already difficult situation - but in any case - as written - you are the tool in this particular story sir.

Deleted
    If you usually behave like that, that would explain why people are so unhappy with their electric bills.

She may not have been in the right but you definitely deserved at the very least a word or two with your superiour; I personally would have fired you if that's the way you usually treat customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    if it was a funny story then good..But

Poor woman, she couldn't pay her bill, she might of had kids, etc.. I can understand why she was unhappy ,you don't know her situation
    then mocking her misery?

I think this needs /closing
    Wow.... unbelievable. Totally way off base here. The customer has a second home.... and she doesn't have enough money to pay her bill? She couldn't take 5 min out of her day to call us to request help or more time? Seriously... I do this for a living you can't win this arguement, sorry.

---------- Post added 2011-02-01 at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by erebusman View Post
    I'd have to agree with them.

As written you appear to be the tool in this story.

I have about $300 worth of food in my fridge that would be destroyed from a lengthy power outage.
    I could not prepare proper meals for my 19 month old son with a lengthy power outage.

If I called you being upset my power had been cut out and we found out that it was due to an error from the billing address being wrong I would certainly hope that you would have some decency and help me out as best you could - rather than hang up on me.

I'll give you a grain of salt - and assume that she was extremely belligerent and that you ended for that reason rather than to be even more hurtful in an already difficult situation - but in any case - as written - you are the tool in this particular story sir.
    You all say Im the tool yet with no explanation as to why.... I was professional and courteous as I am with all my customers. I don't deserve to be talked down to because I work in customer service. I am allowed to disconnect the call if customers are using profanity and using threats. I did nothing out of protocol.

Are you guys really going to attempt to break apart my story rather then try and attempt to play the game to make it fun? really, just keep it to yourself if thats how you feel.
    So our opinions are okay to you as long as they're nice?

Welcome to forum posting.

Just ignore them Son of Lothar, they are just trolls looking for that tool of the week title. report them for purposely derailing your thread and move on.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Wow.... unbelievable. Totally way off base here. The customer has a second home.... and she doesn't have enough money to pay her bill? She couldn't take 5 min out of her day to call us to request help or more time? Seriously... I do this for a living you can't win this arguement, sorry.

---------- Post added 2011-02-01 at 10:24 PM ----------

You all say Im the tool yet with no explanation as to why.... I was professional and courteous as I am with all my customers. I don't deserve to be talked down to because I work in customer service. I am allowed to disconnect the call if customers are using profanity and using threats. I did nothing out of protocol.
    I have to agree your Tool of the week post was anticlimatic at best. I read the title and thought awesome this should be a laugh assuming perhaps it might be a story about a melee hunter or something even remotley ammusing but by the time I had finnished the 1st line of your post was already considering you the far bigger TOOL. People like you are able to make someones day a little better quite simply by not being an ass when they ring with a problem instead you took preverse pleasure from her discomfort and for that you are now my TOOL of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by saelthos View Post
    Why would this lady (or anyone else) not pay their bills? No money seems the obvious reason.

My guess would be that she is out of work and probably getting little or no help from family or from any of the various Social Services, so Son of Lothar’s employer turns off the power in the middle of winter. Now she has no heat for her home, no hot water for bathing or cleaning and can not cook; because even if she has a gas water heater and gas range for cooking, most gas appliances have electric igniters and will not operate without electricity. Who wouldn’t be upset under these conditions? And Son of Lothar ridicules her and calls her a Tool?

I’m not sure who I pity more, the lady for her hardship, or Son of Lothar for his lack of sensitivity but I am sure that I also vote for Son of Lothar as Tool of the Week.
    Last edited by Elsu; 2011-02-01 at 10:43 PM.
    !edis gnorw eht morf siht ta gnikool era uoY

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofdeath View Post
    I have to agree your Tool of the week post was anticlimatic at best. I read the title and thought awesome this should be a laugh assuming perhaps it might be a story about a melee hunter or something even remotley ammusing but by the time I had finnished the 1st line of your post was already considering you the far bigger TOOL. People like you are able to make someones day a little better quite simply by not being an ass when they ring with a problem instead you took preverse pleasure from her discomfort and for that you are now my TOOL of the week.
    I dont understand how you guys say hes in the wrong here. The company he works for provides a service for money. This lady didnt pay, therefore she doesnt deserve service, also it was on a second home, most likely a rental property. If thats the case she should have gotten the money from the tenants and thus payed the bill. I get people are upset when their power is cut to one of their propertys but calling and cussing out and threating the guy on the other end of the phone isnt going to get you any where fast. Just because he works as customer service doesnt mean people have the right to abuse him. Im guessing all you people mocking him are around the age of 16 and have never held a real job or delt with idiots other than yourselfs in real life. Grow up and get a clue.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry

So, it's the middle of winter, some woman phones because her power has already gone and your first instinct is to laugh at her because she doesn't understand how your "turn the power back on" process works?

Yeah, she's totally in the wrong.
    Last edited by Matchu; 2011-02-01 at 10:48 PM.

You people didnt seem to even read his story. It wasnt her home, it was her second home. Im sorry if the bitch can afford a second home she can afford her bills. People always want something for free these days and dont want to take responsibility for their actions.

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    You people didnt seem to even read his story. It wasnt her home, it was her second home. Im sorry if the bitch can afford a second home she can afford her bills. People always want something for free these days and dont want to take responsibility for their actions.
    There's nothing to say it is her second home. Or that she was simply saying anything in the hope of getting her power back.