Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The case for Runemasters as a new class in WoW

Out of all the new class ideas, the most likely next class will more than likely be the Runemaster. Here's why;

1.Already exists in WoW lore, and they can be of many different races with little adverse effect to that lore.

2.WoW lacks a monk-type class, and the monk class is an extremely popular archetype in RPGs. It would go a long way towards boosting interest in WoW, which would be 8 years old by the time the next expansion arrives.

3. Runemasters can fit into any expansion. Unlike Demonhunters that seem more themed for the Burning Crusade, or Wardens who would be better themed for an Emerald Dream type expansion, Runemasters could be employed to fit any expansion blizzard is going for.

4.The Runemaster class can easily fit any role type. So if Blizzard needs a tanking, healing, or DPS class, the Runemaster could easily fit their population needs. Not only that, but the Runemaster's mechanics could go a long way towards shaking up roles in dungeons, raids, and groups. Runemaster healing would more than likely be far more dynamic than caster healing for example.

5.A lot of WoW comes from Diablo. Of all the classes in Diablo, only the monk lacks a true counterpart in the WoW universe. Of course, the class wasn't added until D3, but the point remains.

6. Personal opinion: Fist weapons are underutilized, and it would be cool to see a class that uses fist weapons, or unarmed combat of some type.

In the end, we're about 8 months away from any news about the next expansion, and about 20-23 months away from the next expansion. Here's hoping that Blizzard makes the announcement that a lot of people are waiting for.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Runemaster

Last edited by Teriz; 2011-02-06 at 12:46 AM.

We already have rune masters; Death knights. They have six runes and generate runeic power.

If blizz wants fist weapons to be used more, instead of creating a new class based around fist weapons, they could simply make fist weapons competitive with other 1hs.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeggBundy View Post
    Just let us come in and fix it guys, we promise Haliburton won't steal the pyramids.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It already exists. It's called a Death Knight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Ditto above. Death Knight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    We already have rune masters; Death knights. They have six runes and generate runeic power.
    And 4 classes share mana as a resource. I don't see how this is a problem.

WoW definitely doesn't need any more melee DPS classes imho... maybe if it had more too it a monk-esque class would be cool.... the rune thing is kinda played out already with DK's tho so you'd prolly want to find a different angle..

Death Knights you say?

I'm a Runemaster last I checked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see a Runemaster hero class. That pic with the tauren runemaster blasting apart a goblin shredder bare-handed is one of my favorite pieces of warcraft artwork. If the Runemaster combat system could be made different enough from the Death Knight's, I could see it be justified as a new hero class.

They don't need to do to WoW what Valve did to TF2 (litter it with useless extra shit)

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    And 4 classes share mana as a resource. I don't see how this is a problem.
    none of them are named after their resource.

We don't have Mana Healers and Mana Mages and Mana Shamans and Mana Warlocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    They don't need to do to WoW what Valve did to TF2 (litter it with useless extra shit)
    Obviously Blizzard is making a new class in the next expansion. So I don't exactly see what your point is here.

BTW, the runes that Runemasters use is different than the runes that Death Knights use. Just wanted to point that out.

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 12:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I would love to see a Runemaster hero class. That pic with the tauren runemaster blasting apart a goblin shredder bare-handed is one of my favorite pieces of warcraft artwork. If the Runemaster combat system could be made different enough from the Death Knight's, I could see it be justified as a new hero class.
    I feel the same. Especially with how Blizzard is giving love to the Monk class in Diablo 3, I'd love to see what they could do to a Monk-style class in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    The line between insanity and brilliance.
    I dont think a new class is..appropriate for the next xpac. Adding more classes causes more balance issues in pvp.If we add a class that can only use fist weapons that means more loot slots being only allowed for "usually" 1 class/spec (Holy paladin) cough cough. Just no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylucifer View Post
    I dont think a new class is..appropriate for the next xpac. Adding more classes causes more balance issues in pvp.If we add a class that can only use fist weapons that means more loot slots being only allowed for "usually" 1 class/spec (Holy paladin) cough cough. Just no.
    You can feel that its inappropriate, you're certainly welcome to that opinion. However, Blizzard will make new classes because new classes refire interest in the game whether you like their implementation or not. That's just how it is in games that last a very long time like WoW, and by the time the next expansion drops, the game will be 8 years old.

Actually, it's been stated by Blizzard that for WotLK they were deciding between a Necromaner, DK, or Runemaster for their Hero class. They wound up combining all three to make the current DK, which leads me to believe that Necromancers and Runemasters will never become a playable class.

What I would love to see is something involving the Red Dragonflight using their flames to heal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sapit View Post
    Actually, it's been stated by Blizzard that for WotLK they were deciding between a Necromaner, DK, or Runemaster for their Hero class. They wound up combining all three to make the current DK, which leads me to believe that Necromancers and Runemasters will never become a playable class.

What I would love to see is something involving the Red Dragonflight using their flames to heal
    Necromancers won't, because everything they do is covered by Warlocks and Death Knights. Death Knights play nothing like Runemasters would. Also DKs use Runes based in Shadow magic. Runemasters would use Runes based on arcane magic.

Personally i reckon Blood mages are more likely

Demon Hunters for the next Burning Legion related expansion that will probably have Kil'Jaeden as the expansion boss (or may be the Sargeras expansion). Nice and easy. In addition, Bolvar will rally the Scourge against the Legion in that expansion, but that's beside the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Abilities of Runemasters from the WoW RPG game;

A runemaster begins with a single simple rune. As his understanding of the runes grows, he can add others.

* The pattern of swift water flowing over a streambed, the rune of flowing water speeds the movements of the runemaster.
    * The pattern that heated coals make in the air above them, the rune of glowing coals grants the runemaster bonus damage with his unarmed attacks.
    * The pattern left in the air by the passage of sparks from a fire, the rune of leaping sparks lightens the body and aids the jumps of a runemaster.
    * The pattern of mangrove roots in brackish swamp water, the rune of the mangroves grants the runemaster immunity to non-magical poisons and diseases.
    * The pattern of rings that develop within the trunk of an oak as it ages, the rune of the oaks grants the runemaster a natural armor.
    * The pattern that the energy flowing through perfectly-crafted steel creates, the rune of perfect steel is tattooed to the back of a runemaster’s hands, allowing him to deal lethal or nonlethal damage with his unarmed attacks. (He makes the choice each time he attacks).
    * The pattern flame leaves in the wake of grasslands fire, the rune of raging flames grants the runemaster quicker land speed.
    * The pattern that results from heavy starlight upon rock, the rune of starlight allows the runemaster to foresee those attacks that are aimed at him.
    That's nothing like DKs at all, and would be a very cool concept IMO.