10+ Year Old Account

Mind Sear Viable Again?

I haven't done anything on the PTR and am at work so haven't had a chance to log on and check out the new patch but I'm wondering if the buff to Mind Sear has made it viable again? We got a 15% increase in damage and, my favorite, it's targetable on a friendly target. So is it worth putting back on my cast bar and, if so, where is it best suited with the new numbers? Is it just good for large trash pulls or would it work for something like the lava worms on Magmaw?

Its still one of the worst AoE spells given the absence of additional effect.
    No stun, no falling back effect (earthquake), no pushback, no snare. Not as effective as wild shrooms+starfall+hurricane+typhoon or combustion/impact or fan of knives.
    In summary, BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Aboshan View Post
    Its still one of the worst AoE spells given the absence of additional effect.
    No stun, no falling back effect (earthquake), no pushback, no snare. Not as effective as wild shrooms+starfall+hurricane+typhoon or combustion/impact or fan of knives.
    In summary, BAD.
    If it's unique it's good, according to blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be fine, as long as you know how to use it. In order for Mind Sear to be effective, you need to have Empowered Shadows and Dark Evangelism up, so you will be mixing MS with MB & MF.

You should have been using it for 8+ adds anyway pre-patch. You will be wanting to do it post-patch.
    {[( )]}

Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    If it's unique it's good, according to blizzard.
    Rofl, Sentry Totem was unique aswell you know.

You really dont think much do you? Mind sear is unique on moving AoE packs, which is quite common.

Deleted
    The fact it can be used on friendly targets could be useful in pvp unstealthing enemies. Can't wait to try it out myself.

Deleted
    Any numbers about this?

in sfk for most packs if i only did ms it was about 5-6k dps. i seem to have more doing hnova spam and helping heal. not to mention no threat but more mana. mind you i'm only like 335 ilvl or so.

Deleted
    Those packs are 4-6 mobs max. Not really any useful numbers at all.

I wanna see numbers from Magmaw, Maloriak and so on

Deleted
    stupid question here... provided that it can be applied on friendly target can it be self cast?

ps: gogo rogue vanish my shadowfiend , /cast [target=shadowfiend] mind sear

pew

My conclusion so far is that on fights with massive targets such as Maloriak it's good, in a couple of heroic attempts I only got out damaged on Aberrations by 2 Boomkins and (2 out of 3) Warlocks t but in Heroics it still sucks compared to other AE DPS, even if you dot with VT before you cast.

I am fine with it being crap on few AE targets but nice on many especially since my single target DPS went up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoohoodoo View Post
    stupid question here... provided that it can be applied on friendly target can it be self cast?

ps: gogo rogue vanish my shadowfiend , /cast [target=shadowfiend] mind sear

pew
    I was just wondering the same.
    I tried it and it seems i get the Mind Sear buff (causes shadow damage blah blah), but it did not deal any damage. Also, i could walk around with the buff active... i'm guessing it's a bug, but not sure if Blizzard intended it to be cast on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by It can be ANYTHING View Post
    I was just wondering the same.
    I tried it and it seems i get the Mind Sear buff (causes shadow damage blah blah), but it did not deal any damage. Also, i could walk around with the buff active... i'm guessing it's a bug, but not sure if Blizzard intended it to be cast on yourself.
    That... that never occurred to me. Seems so useful in situations similar to a vanishing rogue you happen to be fighting... I don't think they wanted it to work like that though.

Looking at my WoL parse from last night, I maxed out at 70k dps on Magmaw with full dots on the boss while mind searing the adds. Not bad at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    My conclusion so far is that on fights with massive targets such as Maloriak it's good, in a couple of heroic attempts I only got out damaged on Aberrations by 2 Boomkins and (2 out of 3) Warlocks t but in Heroics it still sucks compared to other AE DPS, even if you dot with VT before you cast.

I am fine with it being crap on few AE targets but nice on many especially since my single target DPS went up.
    That's good to hear Zenkai and pretty much what I expected. Confirmation is always nice though. If it's less than 4 we should be multi-dotting in any case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its ALMOST viable, but barely. On fights like Magmaw and Cho'gall, it doesn't matter, you have to cast it unless you are 100% sure the rest of your raid can down them and you know your RL is okay with it. For most trash, ill usually dot everything with SW:P then cast DP on my target, and mind sear that target. DP and MS tick for about the same now, so its like its hitting everything. Doing this you can pull a really good amount of AoE damage.

Though my favorite thing was the old way of aoeing. SW:P everything then run around in circles watching your apparitions proc. Very fun.
    "Its hard to tank!"
    "....Yeah, maybe in the first 5 seconds... if you don't have a hunter... or a rogue... or competent dps.... maybe...."

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Conjure refreshment now applies a debuff that does 30,000 shadow damage over 10 seconds to anyone, friend or foe, within 30 yards. "Vendor's Vengeance" is not dispellable.