Renew Spam possible? 4.0.6

Hello there! At the moment im playing the disc bubblebot spec and tbh I far prefer the holy spec. I was wondering, seeing that we can bubble spam atm in disc, if in holy spec we could semi-blanket de raid with renews "resto druid style". I was thinking AoE chakra and maybe inner will if you struggle hard for mana and still throw in PoM CoH and PoH.

Has anybody tried this? What are the results?

Anticipating the replys!!!

Stack mastery and continue the PoH blankets. Even with the decreased mana consumption of renew it's still more HPS to blanket PoH / CoH / PoM.

Thanks to Amalisa for this great Sig!

Possible? Yes.

Effective? Most likely not.

The only reason renew spam was so effective in ICC was because of all the damage auras/pulsing damage. The current raids simply do not support that kind of healing when there are better tools for the job.

I'm having trouble understanding your problem. Here's what I got from that post:
    You are playing disc, spamming bubbles.
    You don't like spamming bubbles, you like to play holy.
    You want to spec holy and spam renew instead.

What?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxpowr View Post
    Possible? Yes.

Effective? Most likely not.

The only reason renew spam was so effective in ICC was because of all the damage auras/pulsing damage. The current raids simply do not support that kind of healing when there are better tools for the job.
    Exactly this. Renew was king because even outside of the Lana'thel-ish fights with pulsing damage, most of the time you could be sure someone would eventualy take damage in the 15 seconds following the application of renew. Now it's much more like one big spike of raid damage, then nothing for the next 20 sec.

Deleted
    OK then, is anyone casting renew more now than pre 4.0.6? Has this led to people taking divine touch and rapid renewal talents?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRich View Post
    OK then, is anyone casting renew more now than pre 4.0.6? Has this led to people taking divine touch and rapid renewal talents?
    I've tried it on a couple of raids, (25 man), and I concur with the above, it's not effective in regard to HPS compared to PoH/Flash/Heal as filler in between CoH/(PoM), to the point where I will respec out of the two last talents for renew again.

Deleted
    For Hard Modes I find it very effective to use Renew since every heal will be used and renew gives better HPS if various people take damage and where PoH won't cover up. Valiona & Theralion phase 1 is a good example. Pre use of Renew and then switch over to PoH.
    It's situational and really, it's rather useless unless you know where it will be useful. As for normal mode it's not handy at all, PoH still covers most of your overall healing I believe.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRich View Post
    I took divine touch because the instant heal off cast is wonderful... rapid renewal is a waste since it's not mana-efficient (or useful, considering the huge health pools and negligible healing amount) to spam renew on the raid

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by martiz View Post
    For Hard Modes I find it very effective to use Renew since every heal will be used and renew gives better HPS if various people take damage and where PoH won't cover up. Valiona & Theralion phase 1 is a good example. Pre use of Renew and then switch over to PoH.
    It's situational and really, it's rather useless unless you know where it will be useful. As for normal mode it's not handy at all, PoH still covers most of your overall healing I believe.
    This. In heroic modes, renew really shines. PoH will still be a spell you want to use, but for things like Magmaw renew is really nice. PoH during breath, renew otherwise.

If you're bored around 7:30 est, you could watch my raid stream and ask questions as I do some fights there. We'll be doing H Ascendant Council, then Cho'gall progression. (Shameless self plug, I know)

Deleted
    I do take the whole renew-related branch. Been thinking a lot about dropping it, but the more I think about it and analyse the logs, the more I find that I actually do use renew a lot more than I thought. I drop one on the tanks when I a free GCD, when I have to move, even just for 0.5 sec and both CoH and PoM are on CD, which does actually happen a lot.

I find the rapid renewal talent, if not efficient, at least a very good comfort talent to spec into.

I found Renew was working quite great. Tried out Rapid Renewal last night in 25m Heroic Halfus, Conclave and Al'akir and the numbers were good. I didn't spam it - but it's definitely very usable. You need to use your entire toolbox, but Renew is a great filler now. We hit enrage on Halfus and I had 37% healing from PoH, 14% CoH and 12.5% Renew. I also had Dark Intent so was "obligated" to use Renew more

It works well, just use it when it's appropriate.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Here is what I do most of the time.

Raid Damage:
    PoH, CoH, PoM, Renew.

I'll use both PoH and CoH as either the first choice or second depending on if CoH is available. I'll use PoM usually on a tank or if I know damage is in coming on the raid I'll use it on myself so I get a bounce or two.

But ultimately I will renew the raid after I get the other casts out if some still need a little more attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enxius View Post
    Holy: yes. Disc: no.
    I don't spam renew now because of changes, but I sure as hell don't feel as bad when I throw up some back to back Renews on the raid while I have to move. I think it really helped with my mobility issues (and the CoH buff as well!).
    There is no gene for the human spirit. ~GATTACA

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea if it is possible, or viable, but really, would you want to? It might be incredibly efficient or powerful or whatever, but it is bland and boring.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Enxius View Post
    Holy: yes. Disc: no.
    Disc with 6 ticks is equal to holy btw

Deleted
    currently only healing 5mans as disc but after reading a few guides to improve my healing alot of people put renew very low. It wasn't until recently I started using it again under the theroy of disc is about prevention. what I was finding was renew ticks have a chance to crit for devine aegis. If the tank took some damage renew bought me more time to gheal or ignore if the damage was low enough and continue build smiting. the real value actually came from the weak shields which theroy crafting ignored ie. it removed damage from the next hit and the next tick (if crit) proced devine aegis again allowing more uptime smiting/regaining mana. Yes mana wise renew is very weak but the smaller shields is where the value is at. On some fights where dps arn't topped off and taking regular damage or are just slow in moving a renew can be very handy in bringing hp back up aswell as preventing more damage if it crits. Only problem is the "luck" element of a crit and enough mastery to make it worth while.
    although im not raiding I've noticed that spamming anyspell is a bad idea. Personally I would rather spam renew of PW:S due to not the healing it offers + preventing damage possibility and the fact its a lower cost spell. With enough mastery it might actually be a better spell for reducing damage too if it crits several times.

If i get lucky and get 2 crits as Disc I can get 35K healing from a single renew.