Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinwtf View Post
    Blizzard's incoming Titan Project would like to have a word with Rift.
    I wouldn't put any money down on a brand new franchise we know absolutely nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbytubaman View Post
    I say that by the fact that my GM ticket can sometimes take over a week to be answered. That is PURELY because they will not hire enough GMs to account for the number of players. Calling blizzard can result in a wait of over an hour, sometimes 2. I mean, by today's standards, that is pitiful.

And they only do it because they know that they have a monopoly on the MMO industry and can get away with it.
    It usually takes less than 30min for me.
    I guess the ticket was probably lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadanzi View Post
    SW:TOR is science fiction, WoW is fantasy, so while some of the player base will be similar, there will be some who are exclusive. Rift is a blend of science fiction and fantasy with it's magitech ideas, and I do hope it provides competition for Blizzard, they may improve wow to a point where I come back from Telara to try it out, but in the mean time I prefer the freedom of choice in Rift. However I look forward to GW2 to take me back to my GW roots, where freedom of choice gaming will be redefined
    I have been playing Guild Wars along side WoW and I really love the ability to customize your skills, etc. And both are great games, although with different focuses.

I've been trying out Rift on the beta and my god, the people there are just like in WoW...in fact, the players are "ex-WoW" players who keep on saying the same stupid things they say when in WoW. >.> So much for a better community.

Rift isn't a bad game, but I guess it ain't my cup of tea. With games like that, there will always be "optimal" builds that people will lean into therefore making the customization process a bit tedious and weary because your build won't be as good as others'. I also don't like how their rogues have combo points...they could've thought of something more original. And they have Shaman...basically enhancement shaman...there goes some originality I guess.

To EVERYONE: I guess we'll just have to wait and see how successful Rift will actually be.
    Most people who play WoW are probably rarely on forums. The ones who publicly announce how they hate WoW are a mighty few. If WoW were so bad right now we should've seen a massive decline in the sub base but we haven't.

---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 06:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arterus View Post
    I wouldn't put any money down on a brand new franchise we know absolutely nothing about.
    It might not be a brand new franchise at all as it is only titled "Titan Project".
    But it's Blizzard. I think it will be successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't a QQ, not in the least bit. I am just tired of seeing people post "Rift: WoW Killer"
    You do realize that when the next game comes down the pipe people will be going "<Insert MMO Name>: WoW Killer" for that too, right?

I'm waiting for the inevitable cycle to complete:

1. Folks love <Insert New MMO Name Here>
    2. Folks talk about how <Insert New MMO Name Here> is waaay better than <Insert Old MMO Name Here> on <Insert Old MMO Name Here>'s forums
    3. Folks play <Insert New MMO Name Here> at early beta/launch
    4. Folks get pissed off about how Devs are handling <Insert New MMO Name Here> (e.g., not enough content, to quick to end-game, no end-game, bad balance, you know...the usual.)
    5. Folks reminisce and wax poetic about <Insert Old MMO Name Here> on <Insert New MMO Name Here>'s forums
    6. Folks quit <Insert New MMO Name Here> and return to <Insert Old MMO Name Here> OR return to step 1.
    "Work is da poop! NO MORE!" - Disgruntled Dragonmaw Peon

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    I believe BioWare stated in one interview that they weren't putting SW:TOR out there to compete with WoW, but rather to provide a new experience for other players who would appreciate a Star Wars-based MMO.

I for one would most likely end up juggling SWTOR and WoW because I love both of them.
    I've read that, and you're correct. Bioware's stance isn't that they're making a "WoW-Killer" (don't we all hate that term yet?). Yet myself, and quite a few people I know, are more than willing to drop WoW for SWTOR as long the pvp and end-game are good. We already know questing/dungeons are going to be great.. it's friggin' Bioware. It's not that I don't like WoW anymore. I still do like raiding with my guild, but the rest has become 'bleh'.

If WoW has competition in games like Rift, GW2, and SWTOR.. maybe it'll become awesome again.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

I love how everyone considers that WoW is the ONLY successful MMORPG out there. Just because you guys play this game, and Rift is similar (argue all you want, it is) doesn't mean that the market doesn't have millions if not billions of other players around the world in different MMO's. Don't get me wrong there is nothing out there with the number WoW has but considering there are hundreds of other MMO's out there you have a decent chunk of other people playing MMO's. Total Active MMO Subscriptions And this doesn't even include the kiddy MMO's that are currently out which are just training the young ones early to get into games such as WoW and Rift. As has always been previously stated NOTHING is going to "kill" wow, games will pop up that are different or new and people will leave, some will come back some will not. WoW has always been easy to put down and pick back up, where other MMORPG's this may not be true, which is why WoW has had so much success in keeping it's subscription numbers up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then came out warhammer - .... It failed
    Age of Conan - It failed .... Over the edge
    Champions online - Failed (I liked that you can do <space> 412541"%!"%"!254321 in the name

And some other

Rift : People : YES! Let's go kill WoW

Week later : Man i do not ever know why i bought rift, stupid game

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

because money is the root of all evil.
    no, actually... the "love" of money is supposedly the root of all evil.

I believe BioWare stated in one interview that they weren't putting SW:TOR out there to compete with WoW, but rather to provide a new experience for other players who would appreciate a Star Wars-based MMO.

I for one would most likely end up juggling SWTOR and WoW because I love both of them.
    This is exactly right. They're not after the masses like WoW is, they're after the 'hard core' MMO players who have played multiple MMOs and know how to play the more complex ones. It's not going to eat into WoW at all really, and while it may have a lot of subscribers it won't seriously compete with WoW because they don't intend to.

Its almost kind of sad that the only competition Blizzard has is created by themselves. Easy to say that Blizzard is the monoply of MMORPGs, I would definently like to see Rift succeed so Blizzard will wake up one day and actually worry about losing customers to another game instead of just the usual reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNot1337 View Post
    You do realize that when the next game comes down the pipe people will be going "<Insert MMO Name>: WoW Killer" for that too, right?

I'm waiting for the inevitable cycle to complete:

1. Folks love <Insert New MMO Name Here>
    2. Folks talk about how <Insert New MMO Name Here> is waaay better than <Insert Old MMO Name Here> on <Insert Old MMO Name Here>'s forums
    3. Folks play <Insert New MMO Name Here> at early beta/launch
    4. Folks get pissed off about how Devs are handling <Insert New MMO Name Here> (e.g., not enough content, to quick to end-game, no end-game, bad balance, you know...the usual.)
    5. Folks reminisce and wax poetic about <Insert Old MMO Name Here> on <Insert New MMO Name Here>'s forums
    6. Folks quit <Insert New MMO Name Here> and return to <Insert Old MMO Name Here> OR return to step 1.
    True.

I remember people talking about how Aion, Warhammer and Age of Conan were going to be putting Blizz a run for their money but in fact, they haven't even come close to meeting the success of WoW. Not even close.

http://www.mmodata.net/ tracks MMO subs actively.
    On the left side, select Subscriptions: 1m-12m and see who the reigning champion was last year and towards the end of last year.
    WoW is still going strong.

I always thought that since they announced the "Path of the Titans" for Cataclysm... that it was some tie in to Project Titan... Perhaps some alter timeline/lore that would allow peeps to transition to the new game.

Hard to say as nothign has been said to this point.. .and that means at LEAST 2 years away. Rift indeed does give options for gameplay for peeps bored of WoW.. and that will most certainly put a small fire under Blizz to "step it up".

I have always stated that it's the money that talks... and when peeps leave/cancel their accounts to play something else.. that it resonates thru the halls at Blizzard. More so now than any other time.. WoW is vulnerable to competition.. simply because peeps were dropping back playtime and even taking a break from the game without anywhere to go to.

Rift may only be mildy successful... or it may be wildy so... if the latter, Blizzard will have no choice but to make some real changes and do so with a sense of urgency. It is ridiculous where class balance stands at the moment.. from a game that has almost 7 years to get it figured out.

My hopes is that in fact Project Titan is a new WoW 2.0... but until then Rift is a WoW 1.9.. and I can live with that.

Rift isn't a bad game, but I guess it ain't my cup of tea. With games like that, there will always be "optimal" builds that people will lean into therefore making the customization process a bit tedious and weary because your build won't be as good as others'. I also don't like how their rogues have combo points...they could've thought of something more original. And they have Shaman...basically enhancement shaman...there goes some originality I guess.
    This is one thing I really don't understand why people are so excited about Rift. The talent tree system isn't amazing by any means, it's simply overly complex and nothing more really. Yes you have some more options in how you want to play your character, but it's basically like taking half of what a hunter can do and half of what a rogue can do and giving you the option to play that instead of a rogue or hunter. What's worse though is that in some cases these combinations are so ridiculously overpowered I don't see how it will balance out at all in the end game. Look at some of the trees for the game and see how the top talent combined with lower talents from other trees are so overpowered that there's no way the game can be balanced at level cap.

All valid points.

Don't forget that the fair weather players (who are usually dbags) generally jump around more than a 5 year old on crack. They go from game to game based on what's popular at the time. They are all back for Cataclysm right now, so here is to hoping they'll leave for Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    This is one thing I really don't understand why people are so excited about Rift. The talent tree system isn't amazing by any means, it's simply overly complex and nothing more really. Yes you have some more options in how you want to play your character, but it's basically like taking half of what a hunter can do and half of what a rogue can do and giving you the option to play that instead of a rogue or hunter. What's worse though is that in some cases these combinations are so ridiculously overpowered I don't see how it will balance out at all in the end game. Look at some of the trees for the game and see how the top talent combined with lower talents from other trees are so overpowered that there's no way the game can be balanced at level cap.
    Exactly.

I remember a Rift dev video talking about a teleporting sniper...I mean, that sounds cool and all but in a PvP environment that just makes the way too overpowered..Hunters..with pets..that can teleport away.
    Heh. People will be pulling their hairs out about how OP certain combinations are and we'll see how Trion deals with the mass imbalance storm that will be plaguing their game. I guess people like that? ...after all the complaining they've done about how imbalanced WoW is...

Titan being a sci-fi futuristic game for sure and strongly rumored to be a fps mmo would like to have a word with you...

10+ Year Old Account
    True.

I remember people talking about how Aion, Warhammer and Age of Conan were going to be putting Blizz a run for their money but in fact, they haven't even come close to meeting the success of WoW. Not even close.

On the left side, select Subscriptions: 1m-12m and see who the reigning champion was last year and towards the end of last year.
    WoW is still going strong.
    Ah yes, the previous "WoW Killers"...then you look at the numbers and it's typically the old standby's who remain on top over the long-term (not short-term).

WoW, EVE Online, Runescape (ya, Runescape . Totally next gen!)
    "Work is da poop! NO MORE!" - Disgruntled Dragonmaw Peon

This would be true if Rift was at least decent. You can have all the pretty pictures and wonky specs you want, but the actual game play is terrible, and unless raids are significantly different then the current dungeons they will be boring. There are too many specs to balance, what is going to happen is one rogue spec will be better then all the rest and no one will use anything else.

The combat is dull, questing is more boring then wow or lotro, and the only ok quality is leveling from rifts, until you decide to reroll an alt and no one is around to do the rifts with. I had more fun playing LotrO then I did rift.
    Highly skilled sharpshooter, effective against air units. Can gain the Long Rifles upgrade.

It still shocks me how many people still play the Lineage games.

They're awful...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by siegemaster View Post
    This would be true if Rift was at least decent. You can have all the pretty pictures and wonky specs you want, but the actual game play is terrible, and unless raids are significantly different then the current dungeons they will be boring. There are too many specs to balance, what is going to happen is one rogue spec will be better then all the rest and no one will use anything else.

The combat is dull, questing is more boring then wow or lotro, and the only ok quality is leveling from rifts, until you decide to reroll an alt and no one is around to do the rifts with. I had more fun playing LotrO then I did rift.
    Its also weird how the interface looks strikingly similar to WoW's...

Your points are all true. I have tried the betas (majority of them) and the questing really is dull and boring...the animations are...for the lack of the word, lacking. Yes the graphics are amazing but the animations of the characters and monsters seem too limited.