Thread: guitar help

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

guitar help

sorry if this is in the wrong thread i didnt know wich ti put it in.

im looking at playing the guitar,ive looked at my local stores for guitars but there all to exspensive.
    so i thought id come here to my trusty mmo peepz and ask a question.

here is a link to an electric guitar im looking at buying,it has everything i need has good reviews and is a great price.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guita...248212&sr=1-21

any feedback/help would be much appreciated.

thanks,divine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, for a beginner, that would be perfect for you. Comes with all the things needed to learn at a reasonable price.

Good luck btw, always practice picking and scales. :3

Deleted
    You have to try the guitar out in an store. NEVER EVER BUY an guitar from an online store or so.

i have the same except its NOVA instead of KONA. its really good but the amp could be better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ack?sku=513287 you should consider picking this one up instead of the one you linked. Still not the greatest guitar (what beginner needs that though) but quite a difference in value of product in all reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    ive been to all the stores within a 2hour drive of me,all they have are over priced guitars. dont have enough $$ /sigh

i looked into fender and i know there a good brand,my budgets $200 but that store is nowere near i live so i cant even test it out.
    which sucks lol

if you are a beginner and looking for something cheap I'd suggest getting an acoustic guitar... they have a lot flexibility and you don't need an amp... if you decide to get an acoustic you have to choose between steel string or nylon... steel string has a bit more twang and will get your fingers nice and calloused faster but nylon has a nicer full bodied tone and helps you learn technique easier... also depends on what you want to play. i started with a nylon acoustic because I played classical guitar but even with that kind of guitar you can play everything from rock, to jazz and everywhere in between. good luck and always practice.. try to find a teacher if you can because it really helps.

edit: o yeah and what that guy said about trying them is really important... go to your local store and see if they have one that you've seen online and then you can try it at the store and then decide if you want to buy it online

15+ Year Old Account
    fender squires and amps are notoriously low quality, the action is poor, the pick ups have little to no sustain, and the amps lack tone or the ability to really take effect pedals well.

TBH, when starting with electric guitar, you get what you pay for. 99% of the kids I know that wanted to learn guitar and got a squire starter pack quit, not because it was too hard, but because the guitar is so low quality that things like hammer-ons and pull-offs barely register.

It's worth it to pick up say - a used mid-ranged guitar on craigslist and buy a new amp like a crate or a Line6 solid state 15-30watt

I started with a mid level epiphone les-paul, then bought a Jackson Kelly KE-3 and dropped some EMGs in it and locked the bridge. I sold the epi and bought an ESP EC-50, would recommended strongly the EC-50 as an entry level guitar.

10+ Year Old Account
    butteredtoast,do you have that fender guitar? it looks really nice and from looking at there return policy it makes me feel safer..plus it comes in brown sunburst /drool

lol

15+ Year Old Account
    are you dead set on getting a fender? what kind of music do you want to play? what kind of budget are you on?

10+ Year Old Account
    deadeye,ya i looked into getting an acoustic,i used to play one a few years back and just want pick up guitar again,but have forgotten what i learnt.

and thanks trickie for the suggestion,i have a pawn shop close to me that i'm calling on tuesday due to it being presidents day *sigh*

In the sub-$200 range, nearly all guitars are going to be pretty similar in quality (that is... well, the quality you'd expect from a sub-$200 starter pack). So the good news is that which one doesn't really matter, they're all going to be similar.

The most important factor in choosing your first electric guitar is to just get a feel for it. This is why people recommend going to stores. Different guitars have different scale lengths, different fretboard radii, different neck profiles, different body shaping and contouring... All these things are in relation to comfort and ease of playing. Finding the right guitar will make you a lot more likely to practice and improve, as the wrong guitar will be annoying to play and make practice a hassle more than a fun.

As someone who just recently traded up from their crappy practice guitar to a real instrument of insane cost, I'll tell you that if you are going to be serious about playing, you're going to want a guitar that you are happy to play on. You're going to be using that practice guitar for a while, make sure you like it.

15+ Year Old Account
    what did you trade up from and to?

Quote Originally Posted by TrickieTK View Post
    fender squires and amps are notoriously low quality, the action is poor, the pick ups have little to no sustain, and the amps lack tone or the ability to really take effect pedals well.

TBH, when starting with electric guitar, you get what you pay for. 99% of the kids I know that wanted to learn guitar and got a squire starter pack quit, not because it was too hard, but because the guitar is so low quality that things like hammer-ons and pull-offs barely register.

It's worth it to pick up say - a used mid-ranged guitar on craigslist and buy a new amp like a crate or a Line6 solid state 15-30watt

I started with a mid level epiphone les-paul, then bought a Jackson Kelly KE-3 and dropped some EMGs in it and locked the bridge. I sold the epi and bought an ESP EC-50, would recommended strongly the EC-50 as an entry level guitar.

Because if you want to learn to drive you should only start off with a used Ferrari right?

To the OP:
    It's pretty standard nowadays to start with a Squire or some sort of Epiphone(both are cheap versions of common guitars).
    The guitar you linked is perfectly fine to start with, your main concern should be how you use it more than what you're using. Working with scales and fundamentals is obviously a must but don't let your ultimate goal slip out of sight. Listen to successful guitarists that have playing styles that sound good to you. If you plan on having a standard practice time set aside, use half of it on the basics, and the other half on messing around with a song you like or riff that popped into your head.
    In the end, you get good at what you spend time doing. If you spend time on creating music or learning new songs(no matter how simple) you will get better at doing those things.
    On the other side of that coin however, if you don't learn the fundamentals and only skip to the good stuff, you will lack musicianship which can lead to frustration and a lack of progress.

Sorry for getting so off topic :P It's just, this is my job lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    no im not set on getting a fender,just anything under a $200 price range.

torethyr,i know what ya mean but i only have 3 guitar stores near me and all they carry are insanely priced guitars,because i live in a small town they are all over-priced which sucks hard.
    thats the reason im looking online.when i purchase one and i dont like it im pretty sure i can send it back and get my $ back or a different guitar,(well i hope)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doifer View Post
    Because if you want to learn to drive you should only start off with a used Ferrari right?
    What a gross misinterpretation of what I was trying to say.

I'm saying he should spend a few more bucks and get something with enough pick up power to be able to use all the guitar techniques.

To use your metaphor he should start off with a car that can pass inspection and not one that is missing reverse and 3rd gear.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickieTK View Post
    What a gross misinterpretation of what I was trying to say.

I'm saying he should spend a few more bucks and get something with enough pick up power to be able to use all the guitar techniques.

To use your metaphor he should start off with a car that can go backwards, forwards and turn.
    Fair enough, though what guitar techniques are you referring to? I am by no means saying that a cheap guitar is gonna carry him to fame. More like, everything that he will be learning, all techniques that beginners utilize are able to be played on el cheapos. The difference between quality instruments and the not-so-quality ones are noticed by those that know the difference. Though perhaps I'm overlooking something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok first off: Never buy a guitar without playing it; you will have absolutely no idea how it plays. Secondly, don't buy any of those crap imposter brands, they are 99% crap. My recommendation of the best guitar for a beginner would be a Fender Squire Strat. I started off on a vintage strat years ago and it was one of the most well rounded guitars I've owned.

15+ Year Old Account
    My main issues with fender squires is that when you say, want to learn triplets or something more thrashy, say metallica or iron maiden there isn't enough sustain to move quickly through the notes and it just sounds like garbage. My girlfriend's little brother has one and he's good but he gets really frustrated because the guitar can't really keep pace with the notes.

10+ Year Old Account
    i see were you are coming from doifer but i also see trickies point,its hard to decide,i dont wanna get something and its crap.
    im almost at the point now were theres so much selection its confusing the hell out of me,and getting me to the point were im losing interest in ever getting one.