Deleted

Chimaeron Heroic

My guild is currently butting our heads against Chimaeron heroic 10 man, the joy! We're having trouble with it, seems to be from a vareity of things from tank deaths to pure stupidity. One thing I'm a bit unsure of is what spec our priest should be.

Our healing team is myself (restoration shaman), a holy paladin and a priest who up until now is discipline which he insists is better for the fight. What do other priests think?

Our full raid comp is:

Protection Paladin
    Feral Tank
    Two Frost DKs
    Marks Hunter
    Balance Druid
    Destruction Warlock
    (Disc) Priest
    Holy Paladin
    Restoration Shaman

Deleted
    Holy priest is better, lets ur PoH heal for 10k with glyph+mastery to counter massacres. This is probably the encounter where holy is most superior to disc.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-03-02 at 03:13 PM.

There's always tons of debate on which spec is better for chimaeron. Barrier is great for caustic slime damage during feuds plus shields during mortality phase. However, holy has alot more potential healing throughput. Not to mention lightwell. I'd say have him try both. If he's not gearing towards haste he should be for this fight.

"Gearscore is like a bikini, what it shows is suggestive, what it hides is far more important!"

My guild had problems had problems with tankdeaths at the first Double-attack and it showed that the tank taunted to quick. When Double attack buff comes up, wait 2 secs before taunting

"Remember there is always something cleaverer than yourself"

How do you guys handle Phase 2? I was thinking the top two aggro ppl can stand in the opposite sides of the room to "kite".

Quote Originally Posted by anmblack1 View Post
    How do you guys handle Phase 2? I was thinking the top two aggro ppl can stand in the opposite sides of the room to "kite".
    We found kiting to be nearly useless, unless you hit the enrage. Since he has a terribly slow swing timer (~4-5 seconds) and a massive melee range, he will pretty much always be in melee range again by the time his next swing comes up no matter how far away you are. Meanwhile, you lose a LOT of dps due to all that moving. We succesfully killed him by simply bunching up and nuking the crap out of him.

Regarding the 'holy or disc priest' discussion: With PW:B you can make 2 fued phases trivial when it comes to raid damage. That's a lot of healing you DON"T have to do. a Disc priest who's smart with use of shields / PoH / ProM combo's should be able to assist on the raid pretty well too in the phases in between.

You say you have a prot paladin as well. Combining divine sacrifice and PW:Barrier you can pretty much trivialize most of the fueds, assuming you adjust the tank rotation to it.

I'd be tempted to say let the priest heal the melee through attonement spam, have the paladin focus on the tanks and beacon-heal where he can, and let the resto shaman finish up whatever is left. If you still find people dieing during fued a lot, you could try switching the priest to holy to see if the increased throughput on the raid makes up for the loss of 2x PW:B during phase 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    We found kiting to be nearly useless, unless you hit the enrage.
    I agree with this, kiting is pretty much useless. What you can do if you have a paladin healer is right before phase 2, have the paladin healer taunt and then have the tank taunt back, so the paladin healer has an aggro lead over the dps. This way Chim attacks the paladin healer after the tanks die instead of a dps. You have to do it right before phase 2 though, because I think he is taunt immune in phase 2.

@OP:
    I personally feel that holy is slightly better than disc for heroic Chim, but both specs are definitely viable. I would just have him stick with discipline if that is the spec he is comfortable with, rather than play something he doesn't like or is unfamiliar with.

Deleted
    OP: Honestly, both specs are fine. I'm playing both of them and I picked discipline, because:
    a) I could give our group some more dps with smites in free time (and get Archangel in stack phase), which also lowered my Penance CD for cheaper Caustic slime healups
    b) I'm actually better at discipline healing
    c) I could help with tank healing a lot more
    d) This fight is rotating in between calm phases, where you need next to none output (Flash Heal + one PoH from time to time) and then, you need to heal up as mad. That's what discipline is HELL good at. Archangel on every stack + rotation in between bubble and Power Infusion = winz.
    e) Non-feud healing was no problem, as I was rotating my mana CDs properly (so Flash Heal wasn't problem for Caustic healing), and I could just use PoH on my group due to rest being healed by our spriest right in time. You can also just cast two of them, you shouldn't have any mana probs. (I even saved my fiend for dps in last phase.)
    f) Prayer of Healing is actually doing more or same healing in discipline as it does in holy, due to fact that your shields from Divine Aegis will always be used on stack phase.

I also advise your priest to spec just for this fight - get Archangel spec with Surge of Light and possibly Inner Sanctum. Priest are usually ones dropping most there.

anmblack1: There is no point really, Chim is big as 10ton cow on steroids and it will only take him like 2s to move across the room. Minor difference, very minor.
    Last edited by mmoc25027c7169; 2011-03-02 at 03:39 PM.

do you guys stack for last phase or spread out. theres no more caustic slime or aoe right? just the 2k per second to raid? it seems you guys are saying just to keep him where he is, stack up and dps ur hearts out and hope for rng dodges to not kill all 2 tanks fast and then the dps taunter?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evrx View Post
    I personally feel that holy is slightly better than disc for heroic Chim, but both specs are definitely viable. I would just have him stick with discipline if that is the spec he is comfortable with, rather than play something he doesn't like or is unfamiliar with.
    Our priest adores disc, and would much rather play disc than holy, I was just wondering being a priest spazoid whether one offered significant benefits over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynique View Post
    f) Prayer of Healing is actually doing more or same healing in discipline as it does in holy, due to fact that your shields from Divine Aegis will always be used on stack phase.
    In terms of overall healing done, hes only been doing around 10% of overall healing coming from PoH, he seems to favour Smite spam and healing from Atonement. Would PoH be more advisable to use even in disc then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anmblack1 View Post
    do you guys stack for last phase or spread out. theres no more caustic slime or aoe right? just the 2k per second to raid? it seems you guys are saying just to keep him where he is, stack up and dps ur hearts out and hope for rng dodges to not kill all 2 tanks fast and then the dps taunter?
    The only reason you stack in the last phase is because ground healing and paladin healing require you to be very close to each other. If it wasn't for that you could just stand in your non-feud spots and dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiem View Post
    In terms of overall healing done, hes only been doing around 10% of overall healing coming from PoH, he seems to favour Smite spam and healing from Atonement. Would PoH be more advisable to use even in disc then?
    PoH is godlike in feud phase...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynique View Post
    OP: Honestly, both specs are fine. I'm playing both of them and I picked discipline, because:
    a) I could give our group some more dps with smites in free time (and get Archangel in stack phase), which also lowered my Penance CD for cheaper Caustic slime healups
    Do you have free time to smite on Chimaeron 10 hc? Exactly when?
    Also I think disc priest > all on tank heal here. Absorbs and pom really help with the DA tank.

I'm not so sure he should be smiting on H Chim, especially if he's on tank heals. It will be nearly impossible to guarantee the heal lands on the tank. For feud's he should be PW:barrier them on cooldown and spam PoH/PoM. Right before phase 2 if the raid is still low from a recent massacre he should probably power infusion divine hymn to top everyone off. He could also divine hymn for one of the non-barrier feuds but I really don't like to divine hymn without a bloodlust.

As far as holy vs. disc they are both equal I'd say. CoH is nice because it will put all the caustic slime targets over 10k or get them close to it. Lightwell is also used as a raid CD here. Precast the lightwell and time it so it lasts through the first feud and will be off CD again for the second feud. Will not be as good as barrier but it is still massive HPS if everyone clicks on it. I wonder if guardian spirit can negate a killing blow in phase 2. They can't take the healing to 40% health but not sure if it will intercept the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcsecant View Post
    I wonder if guardian spirit can negate a killing blow in phase 2. They can't take the healing to 40% health but not sure if it will intercept the death.
    Guardian spirit does work in phase 2, but it is tricky to use since, as you said, the 50% heal part has no effect. You need to cast power word shield immediately after the killing blow is prevented so the tank doesn't die from the 2k aoe tick.

One trick you can do is have your Holy Pally taunt before the start of the burn phase, he's near useless anyways, and it'll save a few swings from DPS

I tried a s Disc, and was just having huge mana issues. Like, 30% mana after the first Feud, whereas as Holy, I have a much easier time healing in normal phase, and no mana issues at all, plus a lot better healing for Feud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcsecant View Post
    I'm not so sure he should be smiting on H Chim, especially if he's on tank heals.
    Of course, I agree that Smite for tank healing is bad, bad idea. I was speaking about when raidhealing - even then I help with tankhealing by shielding tanks for double attacks and occasional GHeal when our tankhealer asks for "manabreak".

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Do you have free time to smite on Chimaeron 10 hc? Exactly when?
    Also I think disc priest > all on tank heal here. Absorbs and pom really help with the DA tank.
    As raidhealer? Almost all the time. I'll be uploading video from my PoV soon, so you will be able to check, but there is basically nothing to heal if there is no Slime or Massacre in non-Feud phase.
    WoL from our first kill: worldoflogs. com/reports/p8adl0hvchsdjp2k/sum/healingDone/?s=2791&e=3169 - As you can see, I have 1M dmg done there and only part of it is from last phase. And I agree, Disc in critgear could do for a very nice tankhealer, but that's not my specialization, so I've just let our restodrood take care about tanks, while me and holypriest healed the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiem View Post
    Tell him to use PoH in Feud phases for initial healing, then he can go smitelol... Make him aware that atonement won't heal that much here because boss has huge hitbox.