Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ukrainium View Post
    Curling and golf are games of skill and intelligence, not strength. Sports are also defined as being competitive and requiring skill, not always physically demanding.
    lol no.
    Board games are games of skill & intelligence. WoW is a game of skill & intelligence then...

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Curling, and, as a Canadian, I 100% agree.

Sports are supposed to be physically demanding for the most part.

Curling and golf arn't very physically demanding.
    for golf you need such arm muscles to hit such a heavy ball it so counts as a sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't count Drag Racing as a sport. They basically race 2 cars in a straight path, and the race finishes in about 5 seconds. All you have to do is put the pedal to the metal, no strategy or anything what-so-ever during the race (I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by nonamekiller View Post
    I wouldn't count Drag Racing as a sport. They basically race 2 cars in a straight path, and the race finishes in about 5 seconds. All you have to do is put the pedal to the metal, no strategy or anything what-so-ever during the race (I believe).
    I would assume there is some shifting of the gears and whatnot. Other than that I'd think maybe the G-force of it might be difficult to handle? Idk though.

If you can play it well hammered it shouldn't be a sport: golf, bowling, pool, poker, juggling

Quote Originally Posted by Purgex View Post
    Activities:
    Judge based & fake martial arts
    Motosports
    Curling
    Baseball
    Darts / Non-biathlon shooting
    Bowling
    Polo or horse-racing
    Diving / Sync. Swimming
    Dancing / *Gymnastics / Break-dance / Parkour
    Skateboarding
    Figure Skating
    Golf

Sports:
    Combat sports (Boxing / MMA, etc)
    Bike Racing (including downhill, etc)
    Basketball
    Hockey / Lacrosse / Ringette
    Running / Biathlon
    Speed Skating
    Track & Field events
    Soccer (football)
    American Football / Rugby / Ultimate Frisbee
    Swim Racing
    Water Polo
    Roller-Speed skating / Roller Derby
    Skiing / Ski- jumping / cross
    Boarding (snow) racing / cross
    Field Hockey
    Volleyball

*I'd consider gymnastics as a sport if there was a way to win other than some judge's decision. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I may have missed a few, but activities where the human isn't doing anything physical (horse or car) aren't sports. Fake events (WWE, MMA claims to be real) are entertainment. Activities judged by someone else (some forms of martial arts, Synchronized swimming, dance) can't ever be considered 'real' sports.
    If I were to move something off my list of activities, it would be polo (hockey-on-horse), Baseball(arguably some skill needed), & Ski/Board cross.
    You say Baseball ISNT a sport?? Seriously? And bowling and Golf are both very difficult sports, just because people can do it as an activity, doesnt make it less demanding at the highest level. Unless you can throw a 300 (Bowling) or shoot under par (Golf) you cant actually know the demands of each sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dee View Post
    If you can play it well hammered it shouldn't be a sport: golf, bowling, pool, poker, juggling
    Now that's a terribly weak argument. None of these can be done well when you're drunk/high, at least not better than e.g. soccer.

Just wanted to enfore again, Chess is the king of sports. Fact. :P

I have done each sport. Baseball is not a sport. Bowling and golf are activities.

Deleted
    Everyone who says "motorsports" for an answer to "doesn't require physical activity" have no clue. Try driving 15 minutes with go karts (the stepping stone for more demanding motorsports) and tell me you don't feel like you've done something physical.

I feel that Boxing shouldn't be a sport.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purgex View Post
    Activities:
    Judge based & fake martial arts
    Motosports
    Curling
    Baseball
    Darts / Non-biathlon shooting
    Bowling
    Polo or horse-racing
    Diving / Sync. Swimming
    Dancing / *Gymnastics / Break-dance / Parkour
    Skateboarding
    Figure Skating
    Golf

Sports:
    Combat sports (Boxing / MMA, etc)
    Bike Racing (including downhill, etc)
    Basketball
    Hockey / Lacrosse / Ringette
    Running / Biathlon
    Speed Skating
    Track & Field events
    Soccer (football)
    American Football / Rugby / Ultimate Frisbee
    Swim Racing
    Water Polo
    Roller-Speed skating / Roller Derby
    Skiing / Ski- jumping / cross
    Boarding (snow) racing / cross
    Field Hockey
    Volleyball

*I'd consider gymnastics as a sport if there was a way to win other than some judge's decision. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I may have missed a few, but activities where the human isn't doing anything physical (horse or car) aren't sports. Fake events (WWE, MMA claims to be real) are entertainment. Activities judged by someone else (some forms of martial arts, Synchronized swimming, dance) can't ever be considered 'real' sports.
    If I were to move something off my list of activities, it would be polo (hockey-on-horse), Baseball(arguably some skill needed), & Ski/Board cross.
    And you forgot to mention rowing ! Dont know why is it so unpopular ) (sure would be in "sports" at first place)

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Ping Pong. Be a man go play real tennis not some childs version of it
    Being a ping pong player, I highly resent this.
    Upper level ping pong takes a huge amount of dexterity and coordination. Have you ever watched ping pong on the olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by Matash View Post
    And you forgot to mention rowing ! Dont know why is it so unpopular ) (sure would be in "sports")
    Yeah, you're right. (but I wouldn't consider yacht racing a sport).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    beating the shit out of eachother is somthing men like to do(and always has done), just like driving cars, so why not make a sport out of it

football. football players act so tough but wear like 50 pads, then play for 10 seconds just to take a 30 second break? i mean cmon...

i actually have a definition for what a sport is,

A sport is an athletic activity in which winning requires that you make your opponent(s) lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    You say Baseball ISNT a sport?? Seriously? And bowling and Golf are both very difficult sports, just because people can do it as an activity, doesnt make it less demanding at the highest level. Unless you can throw a 300 (Bowling) or shoot under par (Golf) you cant actually know the demands of each sport.
    Same can be applied to every single thing on that list.

IMO a sport is where you move and/or interact constantly.

So yes, i would regard iceskating or even dancing a sport, and baseball and golf activities.

I would also say that anything involving other then your own physical strength or capacity is not a sport. It is merely to see who is the best at handling an animal/vehicle.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Quote Originally Posted by thedankson View Post
    Anything you can play competitively while smoking a cigarette. [Curling, pool, bowling, etc]
    But that one placekicker in The Replacements smoked while he kicked field goals. Does that mean that football (the NFL) is not a sport?

On-topic: NASCAR. Driving around in circles for hours and hours does not constitute a sport. Regardless of how hot it gets in the vehicle, its still not a sport.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    As long as it isn't fake, it is more of a sport than almost anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Swimming. It's not a sport, it's a way to keep from drowning.