Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Spilled tea on keyboard :O

So yeah, was working on my acer laptop. Spilled tea on it. Let it dry a bit. Some of my keys aren't working. What do?

edit: "dry" not "fry" lol
    Last edited by bajerman; 2011-03-12 at 02:19 AM.

Get a new laptop?

I am The Horde - Play Free Online Games

Quote Originally Posted by SeaKitten View Post
    those two ads for wow.. the one with the ugly dumb Gnome and Goblin dancing really stupid like.. it made my rage so hard i personally now will never play this game EVER again yes because of those two stupid ads i will never play this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks....

Well unless your willing to pull off every key and dry it out then id call support

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm broke at the moment -_-

Pull off every key and dry it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you can just pull keys off....can you?!? OP is computard btw :P

Even if he does dry every key, some of them wont work...
    The liquid caused a short circuit... he'll need to open his laptop and replace wires...
    I can do that for a mere price of your soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Membrane
    Every day I wake up, log in and look at the nine other class icons in the character creation screen. Then I burst into laughter, create a portal into a distant realm, do a motherfucking double backflip through that portal while slinging pastries and blasts of PURE COSMIC ENERGY everywhere, respeccing into frost midair and deep freezing two gnomes before landing on my feet. In my wake only disintegrated corpses, strudel crumbs and adorable turtles are found.
    Yeah, I troll, Whatever

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    well when tea dries it kinda makes the inner parts sticky and harder for them to react which I would say you are screwed
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

Most laptops can have their keyboards removed. Suggest you try googling for a guide to dismantling your laptop if you want to go that route.

You can then try soaking your keyboard on its own in hot water, with some detergent, and then rinsing it off. Leave it to dry in an airing cupboard for a good eight or twelve hours before reconnecting it.

If that doesn't fix it, replace the keyboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matherl View Post
    well when tea dries it kinda makes the inner parts sticky and harder for them to react which I would say you are screwed
    The only thing your "sticky tea" can slow down is your HD (Though if you spill tea on that, it's all sorts of bad.) or your fan. Nothing else.
    Take a hair dryer and dry over the keys for about 15 minutes. Make sure your computer isn't running when you do it, it may overheat it. This will make sure everything else is dry and prevent more shorts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    The only thing your "sticky tea" can slow down is your HD (Though if you spill tea on that, it's all sorts of bad.) or your fan. Nothing else.
    Take a hair dryer and dry over the keys for about 15 minutes. Make sure your computer isn't running when you do it, it may overheat it. This will make sure everything else is dry and prevent more shorts.
    It can also cause shorts from hitting the PCB of the motherboard if it gets below the keyboard.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    It can also cause shorts from hitting the PCB of the motherboard if it gets below the keyboard.
    That doesn't slow down anything, as CPU's don't have mechanical parts. I agree the moisture can short it, but it's not the stickyness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    That doesn't slow down anything, as CPU's don't have mechanical parts. I agree the moisture can short it, but it's not the stickyness.
    Stickiness has moisture in it, it's why it is sticky to begin with because of the reaction of moisture to sugar.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Stickiness has moisture in it, it's why it is sticky to begin with because of the reaction of moisture to sugar.
    That's why I advised using a hair dryer. It'll dry up the stickyness causing it to crust, flake off, and you can probably dig it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright. thanks all of you. Damn these tea-spilling hands! Off to the bathroom to spend a couple hours drying my computer :/

The point is the design of laptop keys is susceptible to interference from liquids coating contacts.

If his laptop has not already died from the tea, it is unlikely to. Unless he spilled tea on the bottom, it is unlikely to have reached the harddrive, CPU or fan without rendering the entire thing inoperable. Sticky keys are annoying, but if they work then they work. Nobody actually mentioned the tea causing problems with anything but keys.

As I suggested; disassemble, wash keyboard, rinse keyboard, dry keyboard, reinstall keyboard. If that fails, keyboard is always replaceable.
    Last edited by FlawlessSoul; 2011-03-12 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Woo 600

Just about every laptop can have the keyboard removed. I work for a tech support company, and during our free time we actually diagnose and repair laptops. I have 7 partially or fully dismantled laptops on and around my desk as I type this. Most likely the bottom of your laptop will have symbols showing which screws are required to remove the keyboard. Otherwise check online to find a guide for removing the keyboard. Once removed, you can try drying it as suggested in several posts above. My personal selection for it is to get a large bag of rice and put the keyboard in the bag and leave it there for 24 hours. The rice will actually draw moisture out of the keyboard, and more often than not will leave circuits completely dry. It's not 100% guaranteed, but it's what I recommend to anyone anytime they get water on electronic components (so long as it is small enough to fit into a bag of rice). Works wonders for cell phones as well.

If the keyboard is actually ruined because of the liquid damage, you should be able to order a replacement. In fact if you REALLY need one I could probably pull one from our spares. Feel free to PM me if you need to.
    Last edited by Deathmaw; 2011-03-12 at 02:52 AM. Reason: typo

My Dad broke my mums keyboard last week spilling tea on it, every key worked except for asdf jkl; had to replace the keyboard which cost £30, the £120 for the engineer to come to the house to fit it was a pain though...

Personally i spilt iced tea on my laptop, left it to dry for a day or so and it worked fine, although the keys were sticky as hell, which took a bit of use to free them again.