Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ever since the mod community got Morrowind to look better than Oblivion, I haven't seen the need to play the big O. http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6...reenshot54.jpg

But Skyrim looks quite awesome, and the developers have stated openly they're going for a mix between the feel of Morrowind and Oblivion, so I have high hopes.

I absolutely adored Morrowind and Oblivion both, and I recently started up Oblivion again in my hype for Skyrim. I plan to go back and do Morrowind again too.

The problem was it took me a full day to assemble a collection of mods that would make the game more "fun" to play - magic revamps, levelling revamps, graphics improvements, vampirism overhauls, interface improvements, extra hotkeys, et cetera. Sure, "vanilla" Oblivion was fun to play, but it's not long before the clumsiness of the entire system becomes apparent.

Bethesda has flat out admitted that combat was clumsy and consisted mostly of either hacking mindlessly until your enemy died with a pile of resistance/health on your character, or backpedalling (s key) and throwing ranged attacks until your enemy died 10 minutes later. They know their Voice Acting was terrible/limited. They know the levelling system could be cheesed (by making sure your major skills were skills you were never going to use, to make the enemy scaling non-existant), and that creating a class in the first place, while interesting, would confuse new players and feel as if you were punished later if you changed your mind. They know that daggers were horrible, and that bows shouldn't take forever to kill a target, especially from stealth. Some mod features that players made for Oblivion were implemented base in Skyrim, such as dual-wielding any two weapons/spells of your choice. From the previews and from what Bethesda has communicated, character faces look a little less "off" than they did in Oblivion.

The thing that gives me hope for Skyrim, though, is the fact that Bethesda knows their mistakes, has admitted to them, and has already given us examples of how they have taken steps to fix them. All that's left, then, is for these steps to make it into the final product.

And if all else fails, we'll still be able to mod it! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I want a Morrowind with Better grafix please!
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Hah, yeah I remmember for example how weapon skills worked in Morrowind.
    Was funny to to shoot somebody in head 20times and do no damage.
    Oblivion was definetly improvement.
    They know their Voice Acting was terrible/limited.
    But Sir Patric Stewart as Emperor Uriel Septim was beyond awesome. But well, guess that was supposed to kick up the first stage of game a little.

I really really hope Bethesda would make it more like Morrowind, rather than Oblivion.
    In Oblivion all PC models were made too human-like (even Khajiit and Argonian), and all 'domestic' models too real-life like (that's not a good thing). Dunmeri lost their unique voices and characters, becoming humans with a different skin color. Altmeri suddenly went from nobility to arrogant-without-a-reason humans.
    The only place where Oblivion was unlike other games was the Planes of Oblivion, but you had to go through so many of them that it got repetitive and boring.

In oblivion there are many dungeons that are not hand made, and it feels that way after you're in your 15th cave/fort and it looks just the same as orevious 14, with a bit different rooms layout.

To add to this, mods/add-ons can mold Morrowind into whatever you want it to be, but it was not the case with Oblivion. Even the biggest conversion packs (not sure if that's the right term) like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul couldn't make that game enjoyable to play for a long time (for me).

I'm just looking forward to playing it. ES3 > ES4 for story and setting, but ES4 was still amazing. They both ate up ridiculous amounts of my time. I expect ES5 to be no different in that regard.

Deleted
    Funny how Oblivion and now this are tingling that certain part in my head...that says ''This is a real RPG''
    ...When I first heard of Skyrim, I just had to reinstall oblivion(and mod the fuck out of it) and just make a nord female warrior...
    And each time I watch the trailer it gets me all giddy...heck, I even remember the lyrics now...:F
    Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and continue play oblivion, because I watched the damn trailer again...it's forcing meeeh!!!

I'm excited for it, I just hope it has a better leveling system than Oblivion.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    that's what you get for pirating

ot:it will be great
    How does that have anything to do with pirating it? I bought the game and I 100% agree with him, Oblivion was dull and drab, Morrowind was leaps and bounds better. Though, I played Oblivion for more than an hour, I deleted it and sold my disc on ebay. I do hope Skyrim is better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    How does that have anything to do with pirating it? I bought the game and I 100% agree with him, Oblivion was dull and drab, Morrowind was leaps and bounds better. Though, I played Oblivion for more than an hour, I deleted it and sold my disc on ebay. I do hope Skyrim is better, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I keep seeing comments like this, but what other than level scaling was truly wrong with Oblivion? I keep wondering that. In your opinion, anyways, what is wrong with it I mean. You can get a few fantastic mods out there that remove level scaling from Oblivion, and Skyrim won't have level scaling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I keep seeing comments like this, but what other than level scaling was truly wrong with Oblivion? I keep wondering that. In your opinion, anyways, what is wrong with it I mean. You can get a few fantastic mods out there that remove level scaling from Oblivion, and Skyrim won't have level scaling.
    NPCs looked like walruses. Oh and you can't just name an emperor "uriel" that's just plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    NPCs looked like walruses. Oh and you can't just name an emperor "uriel" that's just plain wrong.
    Uriel is a real name.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    I Watch the trailer everyday hoping the time goes by quicker

10+ Year Old Account
    Morrowind was more RPg, and Oblivion was more rpG. Oblivion had great graphics, OK gameplay(honestly it's exactly like Morrowind only a little smoothed out), but left you with a rather generic fantasy world and rather bland adventure. Most of the fun in Oblivion came from doing everything EXCEPT the main quest.

There are great mods for Morrowind that bring it's graphics up quite a lot and really allow people to see past the "shiny" of Oblivion. Hey, I love Oblivion, but it takes some serious moddage to make it enjoyable after a couple runs. Morrowind really only needs mods to make it pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Morrowind was more RPg, and Oblivion was more rpG. Oblivion had great graphics, OK gameplay(honestly it's exactly like Morrowind only a little smoothed out), but left you with a rather generic fantasy world and rather bland adventure. Most of the fun in Oblivion came from doing everything EXCEPT the main quest.

There are great mods for Morrowind that bring it's graphics up quite a lot and really allow people to see past the "shiny" of Oblivion. Hey, I love Oblivion, but it takes some serious moddage to make it enjoyable after a couple runs. Morrowind really only needs mods to make it pretty.
    Well, if it's the RP side of the game you're worried about, one of the articles in Game Informer talks about how Bethesda essentially built an entire language for the dragons from the ground up for the game's Shout abilities, which puts together words from the dragon language to create phrases that the player uses in a Shout. They're pretty heavily concerned with the lore side of the game; the Dwemer ruins and lore will also be making a return in Skyrim from the looks of it, and Dwemer ruins were some of the coolest part of Morrowind IMO.

Well, if it's the RP side of the game you're worried about, one of the articles in Game Informer talks about how Bethesda essentially built an entire language for the dragons from the ground up for the game's Shout abilities, which puts together words from the dragon language to create phrases that the player uses in a Shout. They're pretty heavily concerned with the lore side of the game; the Dwemer ruins and lore will also be making a return in Skyrim from the looks of it, and Dwemer ruins were some of the coolest part of Morrowind IMO.
    OMG, really!?!? Dwemer are coming back!? jizzjizzjizzjizzjizzjizzjizzjizzjizz

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are dwarves always extinct to begin with!? Why can't the short people catch a break?

Now mind you they created a whole language for the Oblivion runes, but it wasn't really voiced. And honestly, aside from these shouts, I'm hoping Bethesda sticks to the "unvoiced" hero, I like voicing my own hero and reading their lines damnit! I like feeling like I'm weaving the story of my hero, not playing through another hero's history.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Why are dwarves always extinct to begin with!? Why can't the short people catch a break?

Now mind you they created a whole language for the Oblivion runes, but it wasn't really voiced. And honestly, aside from these shouts, I'm hoping Bethesda sticks to the "unvoiced" hero, I like voicing my own hero and reading their lines damnit! I like feeling like I'm weaving the story of my hero, not playing through another hero's history.
    I hope so to. Though seeing how heavily you can mod Elder Scrolls game's I'm sure there would be 20 mods out the week after release to remove the voice over.

The biggest issue for me in Oblivion was the voice overs. Not that they did a bad job on the voices, but it felt like conversation/dialogue lacked, because they did do voice overs. It was bit disappointing when you met a Imperial Legion Forester out in the middle of the forest, and all he had to talk about was rumors, and the Gray Fox. Honestly, you just helped me fight off a bunch of bandits and you want to talk about a haunted house in Anvil?

I would like to see relevant topics depending where they are, or at least more conversation options.

That was my biggest issue. Then you had plenty minor issues.

Deleted
    Why are dwarves always extinct to begin with!?
    Because they are not dwarves at all :<

Quote Originally Posted by Yooya View Post
    I hope so to. Though seeing how heavily you can mod Elder Scrolls game's I'm sure there would be 20 mods out the week after release to remove the voice over.

The biggest issue for me in Oblivion was the voice overs. Not that they did a bad job on the voices, but it felt like conversation/dialogue lacked, because they did do voice overs. It was bit disappointing when you met a Imperial Legion Forester out in the middle of the forest, and all he had to talk about was rumors, and the Gray Fox. Honestly, you just helped me fight off a bunch of bandits and you want to talk about a haunted house in Anvil?

I would like to see relevant topics depending where they are, or at least more conversation options.

That was my biggest issue. Then you had plenty minor issues.
    The conversations between NPCs were ridiculous. A husband and wife walk up to each other in their own house and stiffly say "hello there, nice to see you, how are you?" Awk.
    Beta Club Brosquad