Page 1 of 2
LastLast

needing help from you lovely priests please

Ok, I have level 55 priest I haven't played since 2007. I specced discipline and will casually level him Nd enjoy some dungeons healing and a bit of Bg play.
    What I'm after is essentil mods, best way to arrange by bars, key bindings and how best to open up on a Target, how to defend myself and best way to heal. Thanx in advance, anything to get me started.

10+ Year Old Account
    whew. so much to cover.

Id suggest first getting Grid and Clique. After some customizing (which will take some time) you will get grid the way you want it. Grid basically is a wonderful substitute for blizzards UI and is characterized by a clean, not clunky, design.

Clique is easy enough to use, just go to your spell books and click on the Clique tab, and from there you can select spells to interact with your mouse. For instance, Penance could be Shift+Left Click and Prayer of Mending Shift+Right Click. You can do Ctrl and Alt modifiers as well. This will allow you to simply hover over anyones name in your group on Grid and cast a spell with the click of your mouse (plus the modifiers).

You'll probably do alot of smite healing in instances, so be sure to pick up all the talent points in evangelism, archangel, and atonement. This will allow you to heal while you dps, then regain the mana cost of your smites while boosting effective healing by 15% after consuming evangalism for the archangel buff.

I'd also get the bartender4 addon. when you log in, type /bar and a menu will appear. Unlock the bars and move them where you want. You can also resize them, etc.

That should get you on a good start.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    I agree 100% with ramennoodleking. Later, you will also want some addon to help you use things on cooldown. Personally, I use power auras with both icon and audio to let me know every time my important spells such as circle of healing, prayer of mending and lightwell come off cooldown. This isn't all that important at your current level, but it's priceless when you start raiding.

I also recommend getting recount or skada. The reason is that as you get to 85, unless you're good, you'll be blamed for every single death. Knowledge of all the information you can find in these addons will help you by letting you show exactly who died of what and who failed. For example, you can show that someone died to a mechanic even though you spam healed said person.

never heard of Clique but it sounds good, I'm writing myself a note to pick it up after work before raiding tonight (bartender too)

I use grid and decursive (although it sounds like you can do decurses with clique too) when you get to the higher levels there will often be a couple spells here or there that NEED to be dispelled. and there are even more that would help you and your team. but if you can set dispel/cure disease to your mouse with clique it might be a moot point to download decursive.

DBM is pretty standard for anyone who will end up raiding, Recount is nice if you like to analyze fights (see who's taking a lot of damage and isn't the tank, show's how much overhealing you're doing, and you can even check DPS meters to see who isn't pulling their weight.)

my alt is a prot pally so I use tidyplates to clean up the default nameplates, I find it easier to use friendly nameplates in BG's (Shift + v) and tidyplates makes it a lot nicer looking and clean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LimeSudz View Post
    never heard of Clique but it sounds good, I'm writing myself a note to pick it up after work before raiding tonight (bartender too)

I use grid and decursive (although it sounds like you can do decurses with clique too) when you get to the higher levels there will often be a couple spells here or there that NEED to be dispelled. and there are even more that would help you and your team. but if you can set dispel/cure disease to your mouse with clique it might be a moot point to download decursive.

DBM is pretty standard for anyone who will end up raiding, Recount is nice if you like to analyze fights (see who's taking a lot of damage and isn't the tank, show's how much overhealing you're doing, and you can even check DPS meters to see who isn't pulling their weight.)

my alt is a prot pally so I use tidyplates to clean up the default nameplates, I find it easier to use friendly nameplates in BG's (Shift + v) and tidyplates makes it a lot nicer looking and clean.
    The thing about clique is that it allows you to use spells as if you had turned them into mouseover macros without actually having to make...mouseover macros.

In essence, this saves time, especially if you are just starting out or are changing up the buttons you use to cast spells. But what is more, the lure of mouseover macros (and of by extension, Clique) is that you do not need to actually target the person you want to heal. So I can have my Focus target as the main tank, have the boss targetted, and still heal anyone i want in the raid without the need of switching targets. Clique and mouseover macros allow a much smoother approach to healing.

If that wasn't enough, it is also cool if you have a mouse such as the razer naga, you can program your mouse click to do one thing while hovering over someones name, and a whole different thing when not hovering over a persons name.

For instance: On my naga, I have my mouse key 1 bound to Flash Heal, with Shift, ctrl, and alt modifiers for Binding Heal, Greater Heal, and Heal, respectively. This will only activate, however, when i am mousing over someones name. If i leave my cursor just out in the field of play, I can then keybind my action bars to allow click 1 (plus any modifiers) to cast other spells, such as damaging spells. It's pretty neat.

Clique just makes it a heck of alot easier.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally I'd recommend mouseover macros over clique, priests have too many spells they need to bind to make clique a good option imo.

I'm personally a big fan of Vuhdo, but really any of the raid frame addons others have mentioned will work just fine

Deleted
    Get Vuhdo, has pretty much everything you would ever need to heal optimal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    I'm personally a big fan of Vuhdo, but really any of the raid frame addons others have mentioned will work just fine
    Vuhdo is a lot better than grid. I use it with clique for about 4 spells bound to my mouse and then the rest are mouseover keybind macros. Works great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    Personally I'd recommend mouseover macros over clique, priests have too many spells they need to bind to make clique a good option imo.
    Never tried clique, but I do use mouseover-macros, which work great.
    Quote Originally Posted by tehmark View Post
    Vuhdo is a lot better than grid. I use it with clique for about 4 spells bound to my mouse and then the rest are mouseover keybind macros. Works great.
    Vuhdo isn't a lot better. I tried it once and the only feature I actually liked was the arrow that points to out of range people. I found Vuhdo to be more annoying to customize and for some reason it insisted I click-healed instead of using my mouseovermacro's.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=mouseover] <Spell Name>

Learn to love that macro. I have every single spell of mine as a macro of that sort for mouseover healing (which when using a Razer Naga is super fun)

Also as for addons I do use clique as well and I use the Heal version of the TukUI (Odin's Remake). It's beautiful and super easy to config to your liking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people try and turn this into a custon UI pising contest? Grid, Vuhdo, hell even Blizzard's UI can get the job done. I personally think Vuhdo isn't as crisp and clean as grid (or at least the way I have my grid customized). It's my opinion. Doesn't mean it's better.

And mouseover macros are all fine and dandy, but clique (imo) is alot easier to use, especially when first starting out. Either works effectively, although with clique you can clean up your bars alot more since there is no need to have the spells you have bound to clique on your bars.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    You need a ton of plugins to make grid even comparable to vuhdo though.

15+ Year Old Account
    And then you realize that even if you bind mouse1, mouse2 and mouse3 unmodified and combined with ctrl, alt and shift you still won't fit all the 14 friendly target spells you use as a holy priest. Something being easier isn't a valid argument for doing something in a non-optimal way if you still need to learn doing it the better way eventually. Create good habits from the start.

If you feel that bar space is an issue you can just use a bar managing addon (which almost everyone does anyway) and put non-CD spells on hidden bars.

ive used grid before its nice, i rolled a gnome priest at cata and now i use healbot for 10 man raiding and i love it, all my spells are bound to my mouse for commands for mouseover of healbot and then different spells when not moused over.

Vuhdo, imo, as it offers everything Grid, Clique and Healbot offer without as much drudgey customization having to be done.

I have used all of them, a fan of all of them, but Vuhdo simplifies things the most. Also, Vuhdo doesn't need any new boss mechanics entered into it after a patch, before an update, as it auto-detects these, uses icons (or not if you wish) and bar colors (or not if you wish) the first time you encounter the new boss.

Anyhow, just my feelings as far as addons, I can actually play my priest (main) top-notch using just Vuhdo and CleanUI for minimal resource hogging while raiding or BG's or anything.

GL with your priest!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Deleted
    And then you realize that even if you bind mouse1, mouse2 and mouse3 unmodified and combined with ctrl, alt and shift you still won't fit all the 14 friendly target spells you use as a holy priest. Something being easier isn't a valid argument for doing something in a non-optimal way if you still need to learn doing it the better way eventually. Create good habits from the start.

If you feel that bar space is an issue you can just use a bar managing addon (which almost everyone does anyway) and put non-CD spells on hidden bars.
    3 modifers (ctlr+alt+shift), plus no modifer and scroll up/down gives you 20 abilities and thats just on a bad 3 button mouse (most use five button mouse these days). And then there's the double modifier solutions. Heck if you include that you could do another 20 mouse-over abilities with just mouse and modifiers
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-03-16 at 11:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Or you could go to walmart and buy a 5 button mouse for $20 bucks, and be just fine. At any rate, I heal with grid and clique, and I heal damn well. Vuhdo does offer more, but alot of it is fluff. Shit you don't need. If you like Vuhdo, yay! Keep using it. Nothing wrong with it. People need to quit pretending they have the ultimate set up and realize there are viable alternatives that will literally make no difference in your reaction speed, ability to dispel, react efficiently, or heal people
    Last edited by ramennoodleking; 2011-03-17 at 12:09 AM.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

After using Grid for years, and switching to VuhDo the past two months, I have to say VuhDo. It might be even harder to customize than Grid, but it's a lot more flexible by design.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pressing one button is always going to be better than pressing two.
    That's also why mouseovers/clique is better in the first place. Less input needed.

Healing with modifiers+mouseclick with clique is really no better than healing with a
    standard target on the frame by clicking with the mouse then press a button because
    they both require a key press and a mouse click.
    Last edited by Siri; 2011-03-17 at 12:56 AM.