Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gothicshark, there is no reason to post your life story, just stay on topic. Everyone else, dont flame people. If you see someone who you think is a troll or something, report it. Do not call them out. Stay on topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    How on earth did you get to that conclusion? Let me get this straight, I agree with you saying that everyone should think for themselves, but I disagree with...all the rest of what you said because...well, no one (and especially not me) said that they believe in neither the theories nor the solutions to them. So you basically jumped an anti "conspiracy theory" bandwagon, while educating me about thinking for myself. Do you see the hypocritical point that you tend to go to?
    With the amount of people posting dumb things in this thread, I am Sorry If I came off hostile to you for thinking you where another Tin Foil wearing Anti-America Conspiracy Nutter.

After all most of the posts so far have been 3 or four trying to explain the law, and how the Old guy and his wife where clearly disturbing the peace, amongst other things and the city officials where doing a thankless job while being yelled at. If I was a Cop I would have arrested him, the Delaware police seem to be fairly mild mannered IMO.

Of course then people are saying the Lady was being B**chy which I disagree, she was calm collected and tried to keep the peace, clearly she was a Police captain or other Important Legal person since she was refereed to as 'officer' and the Uniformed Police where looking to her for direction. Since she was in Jeans and a Hoody I would think it was her day off and she came out to help keep the peace.

---------- Post added 2011-03-28 at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    Gothicshark, there is no reason to post your life story, just stay on topic. Everyone else, dont flame people. If you see someone who you think is a troll or something, report it. Do not call them out. Stay on topic.
    I was replying to a post and I have been On topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I guess I should Also remind people of why the City did what it did.

I will respond with the State law of Delaware:

http://delcode.delaware.gov/title17/c005/index.shtml

§ 525. Maintenance of clear zones within rights-of-way.

(a) The Department is authorized to maintain clear zones within the rights-of-way under its jurisdiction. In maintaining these clear zones, the Department shall have the immediate authority to remove artificial obstructions placed therein, including, but not limited to, nonofficial signs, poles, mailboxes not placed in conformance with Departmental regulation, or other hazards to safe passage. In removing artificial obstructions, the Department shall attempt to determine the owner of the obstruction and provide written notice and an opportunity for the owner to recover the obstruction after its removal. The Department shall also have the immediate authority to remove or trim vegetation growing within these rights-of-way.

(b) As used in this chapter, the term "clear zone" has the following meanings:

(1) For all roads except those described in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for a distance of 10 feet perpendicular to the pavement edge.

(2) For all interior streets within residential subdivisions, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for the shorter distance of either:

a. Seven feet perpendicular to the pavement edge, or

b. If there is a sidewalk adjacent to the street, the sidewalk edge further from the street.

(3) The total area within the median strips between traveled ways or on any channelization islands, except as permitted by § 1108(d) of this title.

(c) The owner of any obstruction removed pursuant to this section shall be liable for a civil fine of $25 for each item so removed, payable to the Department. Justices of the Peace shall have original jurisdiction for any court proceedings relating to this fine. No owner of any such obstruction shall be entitled to the return of any removed obstruction without proof of payment of all outstanding fines.

(d) Recovery by the owner of any artificial obstruction removed by the Department under this section shall be subject to the payment of a $15 recovery fee per obstruction. If the owner does not pay the fee and recover the obstruction within 30 days of its removal, the Department shall dispose of the obstruction in the exercise of its reasonable discretion. The Department may also take such legal steps as it deems necessary and proper to collect these recovery fees, including but not limited to a debt action in the courts of this State.
    The law is clear on this.

Honestly, they are just doing their job. The rules there are the same in any neighborhood in America. You should be thankful that most cities turn a blind eye to it until they get complaints.

That being said, the way the situation was handled could have been better. I see no violation of first amendment rights though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by volescue View Post
    Honestly, they are just doing their job. The rules there are the same in any neighborhood in America. You should be thankful that most cities turn a blind eye to it until they get complaints.

That being said, the way the situation was handled could have been better. I see no violation of first amendment rights though.
    I think the actual "violation of first amendment rights" was when she told him to stfu, go inside or be arrested. In the end, i believe states have their right to enforce zoning laws, and if you don't like them you may not want to sign the purchasing contract for the property at all. However the attitude of the woman was quite normal for government employees, cocky master of the universe who forgets who she works for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see why you're all getting worked up. It's a basketball hoop. -.-
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    With the amount of people posting dumb things in this thread, I am Sorry If I came off hostile to you for thinking you where another Tin Foil wearing Anti-America Conspiracy Nutter.
    I'm not Anti-anything, and if I feel like judging someone, I do it based on their actions, regardless of where they come from or race or things like that..... a.k.a np.....I am , quite frankly, used to it. I mentioned that video just to be food for thought. What others believe about it, it's not my concern.

Regarding the video, as far as my understanding goes... the "violation" would be the fact that they actually took the pole (which..to an extent can be called stealing) even after they said they would not (which...to an extent can be called lying, coming from an official representative too). In other words, it was the way the law was enforced which was the "violation", not the enforcing in itself. Being blatantly rude is, in most cases, uncalled for.

Just giving my last 2 cents.
    Last edited by Orly; 2011-03-29 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I really don't see why you're all getting worked up. It's a basketball hoop. -.-
    Okay. Now reverse the question, and direct it at the city officials.

Still makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Viros View Post
    Okay. Now reverse the question, and direct it at the city officials.

Still makes sense.
    Except that if someone were to be injured in any way with regards to said hoop, the city would be liable for damages because they didn't properly keep their easement free of objects as the law requires.

rofl this is pretty much the #1 reason why i will never visit or live in america
    enjoy your 'freedom'

15+ Year Old Account
    Hope they don't get away with that! :O

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

I don't see what the problem is. The old fool ran his mouth at people just doing their job, so he didn't get his precious 60 year old basketball hoop at his doorstep. I know I wouldn't act like a dickwad when I was just told they'd place it on my driveway as a "Courtesy".

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Hope they don't get away with that! :O
    And they would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for those darn kids at mmo-champ!

scooby doo ftw

Deleted
    There really needs to be a new American revolution. One that ends up serving the people who live in it, rather than those few who wield wealth and power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, freedom means having no rules at all.

And our 1st Amendment protects the right to put up basketball hoops on public streets.

Really? This is what some people think?!?!?!

No wonder society is going down the shitter.

That's all I have to say about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside your window... sit up straighter, that's bad for your posture!
    I'm not sure about down there in the States, but if that woman is an Officer, isn't she by law required to be in Uniform while acting On Duty?
    "Is it a crime to know the truth? Is it sin to reach for those things which you fear?" - Schwarzvald

Quote Originally Posted by Dairios View Post
    I'm not sure about down there in the States, but if that woman is an Officer, isn't she by law required to be in Uniform while acting On Duty?
    The guy in the uniform was a police officer, the woman was a worker for the department of transportation, she's probably an engineer, certainly not a police officer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside your window... sit up straighter, that's bad for your posture!
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
    The guy in the uniform was a police officer, the woman was a worker for the department of transportation, she's probably an engineer, certainly not a police officer.
    Aah, my mistake then. Is late and I'm tired.
    "Is it a crime to know the truth? Is it sin to reach for those things which you fear?" - Schwarzvald

Quote Originally Posted by XenuMC View Post
    America, land of the free. Do they still keep saying that to you people over there?
    They shout it like a broken record.
    We as Americans don't believe our own government but we are either too fat/stupid/lazy/scared to do anything about it.
    But yeah the majority of this country does not have the wealth required to travel the world and see just how much better it could be so we are content with mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by Chodokal View Post
    I sure am lets go on twitter and assemble an army of our own.
    Hey it worked for England recently
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    That said, I'm going to bed. Having a conversation in this context with someone with an avatar alluding to heroine use is just odd.