Poll: Is the Nintendo 3DS worth buying?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Although I agree with everyone you say, the only reason why i ain't buying it yet is because of no zelda, mario, metal gear solid, kid icarus, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaba View Post
    You are indeed mistaken: http://www.gamespot.com/3ds/action/t...pten%3Ball%3B9

And if you're on the fence about getting one, just wait it out. As mentioned, there will likely be another version released in the not so distant future. Also, the game line-up will be a lot more solid once some other games come out (MGS3, Kid Icarus, Star Fox 64 port, Kingdom Hearts game of some sort...etc).
    Problem with waiting on the fence with getting one (as a new version will come), well thats always going to be true isn't it?

I can't remmber the dates for the early DS models, but I know in EU the DSi was April 2009, the XL was March 2010, and the the 3ds the other week,

"he who hesitates is lost"

Although I do agree with the future game lineup been stronger, quite afew Stores are giving a very high price back on trade in in the UK, so you can buy, try, see if you like for 2 weeks or so and only lose 20£

japan is already selling back N3DS in mass because there simply isnt enough games yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockie View Post
    I may be mistaken but Ocarina of time is and will only be for N64??
    It's coming out for 3DS had about 2-3 versions for the cube(a limited edition for preordering Windwaker that came with Master Quest as will the 3DS and another one that had Zelda 1 MM and OoT as well as Zelda 2 that you could get with either a new cube or a Nintendo power subscription) and then a Virtual Console release for the Wii. I own all of them and have the 3DS version on preorder.

So yes there are many versions of the game.

---------- Post added 2011-03-30 at 02:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    I know Ocarina of time is coming out for the 3ds, same for skyward sword and paper mario. I am pissed off though that like the wii and n64, it didn't get an introduction nintendo game that you know would good. The gamecube didn't have much introduction games but did have Luigi's Mansion, which I had a ton of fun with as well.
    And smash brothers at least soon afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    So, you'll buy a more powerful console but not a more powerful handheld?
    The PSP is still more powerful than the 3DS, and the PSP 2 is supposed to come out soon. The 3DS is the same thing as the DS, other than slightly better hardware is gimmicky 3D. To get the 3D to even work, you gotta hold completely still in 1 angle. Nobody is going to do that.

I'll wait until Nintendo does the next big leap, which the 3DS is not.

when i went to cancel my 3DS pre order last week the guy working at gamestop said i shouldnt because japan was only shipping to the U.S what was pre ordered, then after EU, then japan again to fill their own stuff. so basically u wont get one if u want one for a while if u didnt pre order it so i just decided to take it. i got street fighter and ive never really been a fan so w/e, i just play face raiders and its fun for a while. i shot charlie sheen and selena gomez's faces for 45 min one night cuz i was bored :P. i cant wait for ocarina of time and RE revelations, shit even mercenaries.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say once OOT and MGS 3 are out for it it'll be worth it.

But honestly, I know Nintendo is gonna release like 50 versions of it so I don't want to get it right away either. I DO want to get it, just ... not right now

Deleted
    Cant see the atraction myself

add to the fact you have a 3d game but a lot will use a 2d foreground prolonged use will just end up with headaches add to that the eu and us both recomend children under 10 are not exposed to 3d media will give this new fad a miss for my kids

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    To get the 3D to even work, you gotta hold completely still in 1 angle. Nobody is going to do that.
    From what I tried on the minigames thats NOT true. The 3D works just fine from the minigames witch infact requires you to move the screen all the time around (shooting mini games)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    The PSP is still more powerful than the 3DS, and the PSP 2 is supposed to come out soon. The 3DS is the same thing as the DS, other than slightly better hardware is gimmicky 3D. To get the 3D to even work, you gotta hold completely still in 1 angle. Nobody is going to do that.

I'll wait until Nintendo does the next big leap, which the 3DS is not.
    People said the motion sensing was a gimmick when Wii (or Nintendo Revolution as it was called) was in development and look now, Sony and Microsoft copied it years later. Same thing will happen with glasses free 3D, it's not a gimmick, it's the future
    - This is Nintendo, it is very obvious they are going to release another version of it in the near future since they released 3 extra versions of the Nintendo 3DS
    They have said they wont do this

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't bought one, and honestly haven't kept up very well with the launch titles available other than watching the one video for the press conference where Reginator talked about the system / listed titles (Nintendogs+Cats, Street Fighter[ something] , etc). I also cannot attest to battery life being an issue (or not an issue). However, as I speak from experience here...

It is worth noting that any game system, when brand new, is undiscovered territory for most developers. They need time to test how the machine reacts to programming, and push the limits of the engine - which is something that generally happens as more games are made / more coding is done and people figure out what it can and or cannot handle. This was true (albeit not a portable example) for the Playstation 2. The PS2, in it's infancy, had some decent games, but nothing pushed the envelope / screamed WHOA! Yet, closer to middle, and especially nearing the end of its lifecycle before the PS3 launch, some INCREDIBLE games were made for it. Examples? God of War 1 and 2... Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas ... etc etc

So, even if the launch titles leave you feeling underwhelmed, rest assured that, as with any other console (portable or home), the selection and abilities of the games will only increase the more that programmers get to toy with what lies beneath the hood.

I have to further interject that battery life would hardly seem to be an issue of worry for a Nintendo handheld. Matter-of-factly, as history shows, many competing systems (Atari's Lynx, the Sega Game Gear, etc) utterly FAILED to topple Nintendo in the portable market. Their systems offered bigger displays, color instead of black-n-white games, etc ... but all had sucky battery life compared to the Game Boy system(s). Combine the battery life being better with awesome titles (Tetris, ftw) and affordability, Nintendo rocked the portable scene. Granted, they eventually needed to go with a color system (Game Boy Color) and have a mega-title/franchise (Pokemon) to reverse the downslide in sales they were having, but they turned it around MIGHTILY in the process.

So, sit back, relax, have a soda. Better things are sure to come, imo.

#FlightIsImportant

Ofcourse better to come, no doubt. This is technology were talking about. Just thinking on what progress has been made since my old gameboy...

At this time I almost belive we have invented anything. But in 10 years I'll be thinking back on my beloved PC with I7 quad with 4 GB DDR3 as an ancient thing.... the world never stops making us spend :<

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Nintendo should just make a Nintendo 64 v2 and forget all else.... The Wii got old VERY quick, atleast for anything that isn't a wii sports kinda game.

---------- Post added 2011-03-30 at 09:36 AM ----------

I know Ocarina of time is coming out for the 3ds, same for skyward sword and paper mario. I am pissed off though that like the wii and n64, it didn't get an introduction nintendo game that you know would good. The gamecube didn't have much introduction games but did have Luigi's Mansion, which I had a ton of fun with as well.
    The CG had Wind Waker, which is probably the most fun Zelda game ever (Note: NOTE the BEST, but the most fun), and Smash Bro's Melee.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The CG had Wind Waker, which is probably the most fun Zelda game ever (Note: NOTE the BEST, but the most fun), and Smash Bro's Melee.
    Wind Waker was released about one year after the GC?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sagan-man View Post
    Wind Waker was released about one year after the GC?
    Oh I missed the "introduction" bit... Meh, probably woulnd't have realised it anyway, the GC I bought came with both WW, OoC and OoC Masterquest... Heh

Deleted
    I will wait for some of the heavy and nice titles to come out,and then MAYBE i will buy it if they dont release any new version of it that is...

ive had most nintendo consoles from gameboys and nes(not virtual boy) to gamecube but really..how many damn mario, zelda, metroid games can you play before getting bored? Especially with almost all the new games being aimed at people with the attention span of a plant. yay i can pay another 1-200 to play mario again... no.
    my daughter has a dsi and the games even bore her after half an hour.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    but really..how many damn mario, zelda, metroid games can you play before getting bored?
    Personally, endless amounts, if the gameplay is up to snuff
    Well there are no great games released yet so no surprise

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    ive had most nintendo consoles from gameboys and nes(not virtual boy) to gamecube but really..how many damn mario, zelda, metroid games can you play before getting bored? Especially with almost all the new games being aimed at people with the attention span of a plant. yay i can pay another 1-200 to play mario again... no.
    You can never have too much Zelda or Mario... Granted I wasn't a fan of Twilight Princess or Mario Galaxy (Haven't tried Galaxy 2)

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a weird thing to say coming from a WoW fan site. I mean, WoW is like the epitome (am I using that right? I don't know, but I'm gonna throw it in there.) of repetition. If you like WoW you like repetition.

Anyways, I'll never get tired of Link, Mario, Samus, Sonic, or any of the Nintendo characters. I loved all the old games and I love the new games just as equally. (Sonic is the abused adopted orphan of Nintendo now I think.)