Holy confusion, Batman

Ok, stupid title, but hopefully I got someone's attention. I'm an 85 holy priest.

I am a bit confused about how my healing has seemed to go down hill. If you notice, my gems are pretty much in order, my gear is pretty much BiS in either pre-raid or for regular raid content, my haste is a little low, but a few gear pieces should fix that. Currently, my healing just blows. I am the lowest out of three healers (resto shaman, holy pally, and myself holy priest) with usually like 7k hps. When we first started raiding I could do 10k hps easy, and topped meters, now I'm lucky if I compete.

I do raid lead, however, that doesn't require that much effort that my heals should drop off that much.

There is no healing rotation, but I can give you an overview of what I do. I use Prayer of Mending and Circle of Healing on just about every cooldown (Prayer of Mending more than CoH) I put lightwell up for my melee and they generally use it. On fights where there is more tank healing that needs to be done, I put myself in heal chakra, and vice versa for the raid healing aspect of some fights. I don't use renew nearly as much as I should, and I'm working on that. I use PoH when appropriate and most effective. I don't use greater heal nearly as much as I think I should. My mana is usually always fine, and if it isn't I use a potion of concentration, my mana cooldowns, or ask for mana tide, it usually is a non-issue.

One weird thing I have noticed, in almost any other raid (Pugging BH) I'm the top healer by far. I'm not sure if it's my raid comp or some heal combo I just haven't learned to efficiently use. I'm just really confused how much my healing has dropped off compared to what it used to be, where I used to carry groups.

Also, I know my mastery trinket should be changed to an int trinket of some sort, but my Int is Very low in comparison to the other healers in my group. That may be another problem, but I'm ilvl 353 so it shouldn't make that big of a difference.

Any help on this matter is much appreciated.

A

P.S. On here I apparently can't post a link of my armory because I haven't had enough posts? Anywho I'm Auròra on Lightbringer

I think your other healers got better so you have less to heal :P

That and cleaner kills mean less damage to heal. Aside from that I can't really offer anything.

e

I wouldn't point at your gear. I did notice a few things, however.
    The first thing is that you have the +30 int ench on your cloak where a +50 is easily available for a slightly higher cost.
    Secondly, you say you raid with a resto shamy, that means you will always have his 5% haste buff. This means you could stay on 7.5% haste non-buffed and still get that extra renew tick when raiding. Reforging to mastery will also increase your healing.
    About your spec: I would personally not go for. My personal preference would be to drop resperate prayer for rapid renewal and to drop State in favor of SoR and Twin Disciplines.
    State of Mind was better before where chakra didn't last as long. Now you can easily do without if you remember to switch in time.

1 last thing you didn't mention and what i do try to do is to keep HW:Serenity on cooldown as a way of refreshing renew on a tank. The CD for HW:Serenity is shorter then renew' duration so that works very nicely.

Edit:Looking at my own armory (Kuyam on kazzak-eu) i see that it shows my haste without Darkness. For you this means you are currently on 16% raidbuffed haste, which, as said, can be a bit much. Try reforging a bit of that to mastery.

p.s. also try to look at your overhealing done and compare that to the others. It might be that you are just a bit late and the other healers beat you to healing your targets.
    Last edited by kuyam; 2011-04-13 at 06:56 AM. Reason: edit+ps

Deleted
    Not enough reforge. +65 haste instead of +50 int on bracers. You don't have the craft legs and your current legs have crap enchant aswell.

I would reforge all crit into HST > MST and all MST into haste if possible. If you don't have mana problems that is, else MST would most likely be the better option.
    Your trinkets give very little throughput, I'd try and get Core of Ripeness and DMC:Tsunami to get double +321int.

You have more spirit than I do with 4t11 activated so you shouldn't have any mana problems what so ever,
    • Full reforge for throughput(all pieces should have HST and MST, reforge spirit into HST>MST if needed)
    • Gem to full +40 int
    • Enchant(mostly bracers to +50int) and tailorer int-procc in cloak
    • Respec 2/2 SoM -> 2/2 Blessed Resilience, 2/2 Tome of Light -> +1 Twin Disciplines & 1/2 Veiled Shadows OR 1/1 Spirit of Redemption
    • Reglyph Glyph of Mass Dispell -> Glyph of Prayer of Mending (+60% heal on first bounce), Glyph of Guardian Spirit -> Glyph of Lightwell (+50% charges)

By doing this I can keep up with our two experienced healers (holy paladin and resto druid) and still manage my mana.
    You can check my armory to see what I did to increase my throughput.

Did people stop clicking Lightwell? lol, I know my guild doesn't really use it on farm stuff

Edit: Also, why would you skip out on Twin Disciples?! It's a pure throughput talent. You do NOT need State of Mind..
    Last edited by Mazi; 2011-04-13 at 01:31 PM.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

I guess I should have specified a bit more on some things.

I do use Holy word: Serenity on every cooldown as long as I am in my heal chakra. I also play a holy pally so I enjoy the little mana efficient holy shock they have given priests. I do only raid 10 man content. So, from what I've read Haste is the way to go and Mastery is the way to go in 25 mans.

I Did respec and reforge and reglyph some of the silly little mishaps here and there, but I don't for see that being a deciding differences in my throughput. There will be some, but it won't be substantial.

Yes, my healer team has gotten a lot better lately and I have had to heal a lot less. I know this is a part of the problem.

Also, I did realize that my trinkets are poppie when it comes to through put.

My two questions are: My mastery is high and somehow my echo of light is my top 3rd heal on recount. (It's usually CoH > PoH > Echo of Light.) I'm assuming this is bad and I should renew ALOT more, however, I still feel that mastery is pretty important with the mastery being able to succeed that well in healing. Two, what SHOULD my top 3 heals be? Renew>PoH>CoH (?) I believe that would help me out alot more than knowing that there is a bum enchant on my legs that are blue (which I already knew.)

Anywho, thanks again for the help. It's nice to know there are some explanations for the mishaps.

Deleted
    No, renew should NOT be your top heal as you are not blanketing the raid. My top4 is usually PoH/PoM/CoH/EoL, not sure about the exact order but those 4. I only use renew on tanks while refreshing it, rarely use it on other members of the raid due to the rather low throughput.

Mastery is important but I would never stack pure mastery in a 10 man raid.

If you pull 7k hps in an average fight you obviously have throughput issues. Why ask for advice if the ones given doesn't matter?
    If you are a tailorer and don't have the epic leg enchant that costs you 6 gold you seriously have slacking issues aswell. So you mean my previous post wouldn't help your throughput substantially? Then the only other solution is full 372 and l2p.
    Last edited by mmoc12f026c685; 2011-04-14 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    No, renew should NOT be your top heal as you are not blanketing the raid. My top4 is usually PoH/PoM/CoH/EoL, not sure about the exact order but those 4. I only use renew on tanks while refreshing it, rarely use it on other members of the raid due to the rather low throughput.

If you pull 7k hps in an average fight you obviously have throughput issues. Why ask for advice if the ones given doesn't matter?
    If you are a tailorer and don't have the epic leg enchant that costs you 6 gold you seriously have slacking issues aswell. So you mean my previous post wouldn't help your throughput substantially? Then the only other solution is full 372 and l2p.
    Couldv brought it a bit more easy :P still i agree, advice has been given. i myself raid 10 man aswell, and i dont find low healing a problem at all untill it starts to matter, aslong as we kill the boss with 10/10 alive (or we couldnt save him/her due to stupid actions) armory Dawnsinger on EU Vek'nilash if you want to see what im raiding with (although im prolly in shadow gear (os ftw)) just keep on going, and start worrying when it starts to matter.

10+ Year Old Account

Shhh, quiet now.

Please continue to use renew. It shouldn't be your top spell, but it should be anywhere from 3-5 on your list.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    Please continue to use renew. It shouldn't be your top spell, but it should be anywhere from 3-5 on your list.
    This. Renew is useful in several ways, I will make a lot of use of it on heavy movement fights, in situations where I have plenty of time to top people off, in cases where I can expect incoming damage in the near future, or as a way to help level out damage to make PoH/CoH more effective. For me, it's usually around 3 or 4. I do, of course, run 25s, so healing assignments are usually a lot more well defined than in 10s, so I can make good use of the ticks without worry of someone else topping them off and it overhealing, but even in 10s if you only use it on the tanks, you're likely under-utilizing a useful spell.

You also have to take into consideration that your raiders might be taking less damage/failing which means less to heal. The encounters also get shorter. If you're not doing anything differently and you're killing bosses there isn't much to worry about on farm stuff.

Are you having issues with new bosses you're trying to learn?

Renew is a great tool, you should use it. It should be 3rd or 4th on your healing depending on the encounter.

You will probably do more healing overall if you just drop Chakra: Serenity. If all of your healing is from PoH/CoH/Renew/EoL why are you spending time in useless Serenity? Sanc buffs all of your main heals by 15% and reduces the cooldown on CoH, one of our most powerful spells. The insta cast heal really isn't worth it unless you're full-time tank healing.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Well, I did take a lot of what some people said in to consideration, and at no point did I dismiss any critiques, but I won't argue over something so silly.

I've gotten the information I've needed so thanks to all that replied.

Deleted
    Sorry about my overreaction. Sounded like you ignored my advice but I guess I was wrong. Hopefully what was said in this thread will help you push your HPS a bit higher (remember that HPS doesn't mean shit if everyone survives the fight, unless you slack of course and your other healers get a heart attack).

@Wablakin, I understand how you got your feelings toward Renew as at the beginning of Cata, pretty much the only time it was efficient was when used in conjunction with Senernity state, but you might give it another look. On heroic Atramedes it is my top heal. I pre-hot one group for modulation, start precasting PoH on another group right before it hits, and drop a Renew on any people that are still low while we are moving. Where it shines though is during high movement times like the air phase of Atramedes (which is why it takes over the number one spot), and during phase two of Council when you are running a lot. It was my number two heal for Heroic Maloriak last night due to people in random groups taking more sludge damage than others. I just drop into Inner Will right before these events and put Renew on as many people that need it and let it do it's work. It's quite amazing actually, so please give it another look.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariahna View Post
    @Wablakin, I understand how you got your feelings toward Renew as at the beginning of Cata, pretty much the only time it was efficient was when used in conjunction with Senernity state, but you might give it another look. On heroic Atramedes it is my top heal. I pre-hot one group for modulation, start precasting PoH on another group right before it hits, and drop a Renew on any people that are still low while we are moving. Where it shines though is during high movement times like the air phase of Atramedes (which is why it takes over the number one spot), and during phase two of Council when you are running a lot. It was my number two heal for Heroic Maloriak last night due to people in random groups taking more sludge damage than others. I just drop into Inner Will right before these events and put Renew on as many people that need it and let it do it's work. It's quite amazing actually, so please give it another look.
    As we are about to progress Maloriak (green phase on 3rd try) and Atramedes I will keep renew in mind. I noticed the spread in damage for sludge pools and actually used renew quite a lot when we came to the green phase.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at my logs, I see that renew is the majority of any overhealing I do, as other healers see that damage and heal or can't resist topping off. Bottom line, so long as your raid is successful, who cares where you fall on the meters?
    EXAMPLE: When my guild first started raiding on Magmaw, I was pulling close to 11k HPS on wipes. Once we got fight down, that dropped to about 8k because i could heal less (due to less avoidable damage).

TL;DR Meters for healing are just about worthless. If your other healers are not overburdened (i.e. overtaxed by shortcomings on your part) then I wouldn't sweat it. Group success is always > Individual numbers

Do you use PoM on cd? I thought you were only supposed to do that when you know almost all of the spell would bounce.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflictid View Post
    Do you use PoM on cd? I thought you were only supposed to do that when you know almost all of the spell would bounce.
    You use Pom regardless of whether all the jumps have occurred if and only if there is nothing else to userhe GCD on. If you could case a PoH, CoH, or Renee with more effectiveness you do that instead.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflictid View Post
    I try to. Even on fights like Chimaeron where the chance of it to bounce 5 times (outside of feud) is very RNG(i.e. minimal). But sometimes it shines so much you wish it wouldn't have any CD like P2 Al'akir, Halfus, Nef P2, Maloriak(black/red phase) and a few others. Nothing beats Al'akir P2 however, watching it disappear instant