Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iorcedurmother View Post
    Record companies stopped going after individual people for downloading music illegally in like 2008.
    The industry no longer has the wealth to do so! Imagine that? Hahahah!

10+ Year Old Account
    Same company contacted me for illegally downloading several movies. Just stop and they will leave you alone no big deal slap on wrist and either hide your IP or don't do it again.
    Quitting WoW is harder than you think.

Too much effort involved for the company to pursue thousands of teenagers for downloading illegally, it isn't worth the hassle. Also it's a business, bad reports on copyright = less customers. The worse thing they can possibly do is terminate your service, woopty-doo.

Oh and it's just a threat, in which they'll tell the artist that they're doing something about it. (When quite clearly they aren't)

Also just a small tip, use paid file hosting websites rather than torrents, it's faster and also you can just blame the website for hosting an illegal file.

She'll be fine. Honestly, she's 16 for starters (though I suppose the blame/responsibility would be on the parents), its music, and only a little and for her own personal use, not to make money etc etc...and chances are it's too crappy to even be classified as music. They won't do anything, way too much effort for an album that may hav cost 12 dollars at bestbuy. As others have said, its nothing to worry about. Had she been downloading plans to make a homemade bomb out of sticks, goat cheese, and graphite from alquedaterroristnetwork.com it may be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    The industry no longer has the wealth to do so! Imagine that? Hahahah!
    well, they made money doing it, but it just really pissed people off because it was like kids and mothers getting sued for ridiculous amounts so they stopped. They just use different tactics now. Even that one woman who refused to settle and got hit with a huge suit eventually got the case overturned after appealing the court's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    it's too crappy to even be classified as music.
    This is true too lol

oh unless you live in canada, im pretty sure canada has insane laws about this shit now adays.

Deleted
    man up and say that you are the one we are talking about. why do people always come here with this "ok, there is a friend of mine" bullshit.

i mean who in the world would tell a friend "ok, im gonna help you with this one. just gonna check the opinions of my mates at mmo-champion." ?
    when you offer help, you should really help. not asking a random internet community for advice.

speaking of music and copyright laws, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdwN6rRU0Xk

Quote Originally Posted by Groom View Post
    man up and say that you are the one we are talking about. why do people always come here with this "ok, there is a friend of mine" bullshit.

i mean who in the world would tell a friend "ok, im gonna help you with this one. just gonna check the opinions of my mates at mmo-champion." ?
    when you offer help, you should really help. not asking a random internet community for advice.
    If I mess up, I will tell you that I mess up. Believe it or not, some people in this world like to help others. I'm not doing this for her to pat myself on the back, or get laid (partially because it would be statutory rape). I'm doing it because I like to help people, honestly, her and I barely qualify as friends, saying we're friend would be stretching the truth. Just no matter how much hatred I have towards someone, I will almost always have more compassion. Yes I'm kind of a doormat, but I would rather be stepped on than step on others.
    Last edited by Slammin Shaman; 2011-04-18 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Forgot a word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iorcedurmother View Post
    well, they made money doing it, but it just really pissed people off because it was like kids and mothers getting sued for ridiculous amounts so they stopped. They just use different tactics now. Even that one woman who refused to settle and got hit with a huge suit eventually got the case overturned after appealing the court's decision.
    The record industry is going down the tubes as quickly as Apple is selling anything with its logo stamped on it.
    If there are still cases of "strong-arm" tactics, then it's out of desperation and not financial gains.

---------- Post added 2011-04-18 at 04:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Groom View Post

It seems like he has a crush on a girl. Take it easy.

Download Peerblock
    Turn on Peerblock
    ????
    Profit

Seriously... get Peerblock.

It seems like he has a crush on a girl. Take it easy.
    You should read my last post then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammin Shaman View Post
    You should read my last post then.

Conceded.

Sorry for not providing helpful information myself, but I do hope everything turns out ok. At a glance it doesn't seem like anything wrong could happen to be honest.

To the people flaming, just die, please.

Deleted
    Wow...really? you americans get letters from your ISP for downloading movies/music?

I download about 100-300gb of movies/music/tv shows each month and I've never ever had a warning and I have been downloading music since the days when limewire/kazaa etc were the norm

Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    well im no legal expert but if they have proof it was her and that she did it then i dont think theres much she can do. but isnt it not illegal if u dont try to make a profit off it or something? like movies?
    Downloading music is illegal and you can be sued for it.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by infuz3d View Post
    IDK if it can work like roms, but have her go and buy the CD she downloaded, then she could possible defend herself by saying she wanted a copy of it on her harddrive since discs aren't durable.
    Downloading isn't what gets people in trouble, it's the uploading. For music it's usually because the person put the songs up on facebook or something where other people can listen. Torrents are bad because as you download, you upload so for the basic computer person you still have a chance of getting in trouble. Buying the CD's won't help as you are not getting in trouble for illegally obtaining the songs, you are getting in trouble for giving them out to other people.

OP- I haven't had any run ins with this but I would guess if you haven't found anything else out try and contact your ISP and apologize for it and tell them you will stop. I've been caught torrenting a movie and got my service cut off until I spoke to someone letting them know I will delete the files and stop downloading. I'm sure they understand how easy it could be to download/upload a file and let her off with a warning.

It's a CD, not Murder One.
    I think you're underestimating peoples stupidity. 'DIS GUY ON DA INTERNET SAID I'LL BE FINE SO I'M GONNA DOWNLOAD ALL THE TIME NOW' and I've met tons of people who actually believe everyone on the internet is a genius in whatever field they're commenting on, if it is serious trouble I would definitely not rely on strangers on the internet who might be borderline retarded talking out their ass and would actually ask someone who knows what they're talking about.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2011-04-18 at 05:03 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    And that's why you get verizon since they don't give a shit what you download!

Anyway, I had charter a couple years ago and I downloaded juno and they sent me a letter. They didn't do shit, but I switched to verizon and have been happy since.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2011-04-18 at 05:10 AM.