Poll: Can rap be considered a musical genre/category?

Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

[Music] Can rap/rapping be considered a musical genre?

Can rap/rapping be considered music?

I have seen the recent post on the "I'm gay" album name. There seems to be quite the difference of opinions on whether rap can be considered music. I am a fan of many musical genres and consider rap to be one of them. What are your opinions

I'm not really asking if you enjoy it or not (although ones opinion is appreciated). I'm ONLY asking if it can be considered to be a category of music. I dislike most country music, but I still consider it a category/genre of music.
    Last edited by fartbox; 2011-04-20 at 06:29 AM. Reason: clarification of question
    seldom does the passion of your pretense create an actuality in this reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Many rappers (not all) are at least talented in writing the lyrics and composing a decent beat for the music.

Many other rappers have the lyrics written for them, someone else composes the music, and they just autotune someone who talks fast.

It is similar with other genres.

No. It's noise.

Rap is like any other Genre is has its mainstream trash with a small amount of that mainstream being good. Jay-Z Tupac, Biggie, but rap is also a newer genre, its very young compared to other genres. The difference is that many underground artist in other genres become successful and more mainstream. In rap its a small following with the rest of the mainstream trash grabbing the sales and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokok View Post
    No. It's noise.
    80 yearolds represent !

No. It's noise.
    That's what people said about rock n roll in the 50s, metal in the 80s, grunge in the 90s, etc.

At the time of this post: Yes = 33.33% | No = 66.67%
    Close the post, the facts have been presented.

Deleted
    Well, I never liked Rap or Hip-Hop. But, somehow the world sees it as a musical Genre. I admit some rappers are/were good. One man not to talk about 2 Pac.

But, thinking about it. It is mainly a person rhyming some stuff. I am not gonna have a long discussion here about how good or not good the lyrics are. But, it is just rhyming some random stuff.

While other music genres let's take pop for an example (I do not like pop and I don't listen to it). But, the singer is actually singing.
    Rock (Can't say anything wrong here I guess you all get the point)
    Metal (In all its genres is just musical to the core)
    Whatever other genre with a singer in it and ACTUALLY singing is a musical genre. Sorry I don't have anything against Rap/Hip Hop I just don't like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a huge fan of rap, but I do enjoy it.

You can't tell me guys like Run DMC, LL Cool J, P Diddy, Tupac and some others aren't talented and their art doesn't count as music. It's just noise? Nonsense.

The same no talent argument can be said for half of mainstream music in all genres.

I can pound out power chords on a guitar and scream into a mic. I could sing on-pitch enough that I could be auto-tuned to sound great. I can't rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikatrap View Post
    That's what people said about rock n roll in the 50s, metal in the 80s, grunge in the 90s, etc.
    Except rap still sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarix View Post
    Except rap still sucks.
    If anyone here can listen to a live version of "Let me Clear my Throat", or "Tricky" and not move any part of their body I'll be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarix View Post
    Except rap still sucks.
    I heard your opinions are now all irrefutable fact.

only because you listen to the trash on the radios. Listen to some Ghostface, Slaughter House, Saigon, J. Cole, Wu-tang, Kendrick Lamar, older Jay-Z, Big-L, NWA. Rap doesn't suck it just has a bad representer in the mainstream. These are real rappers in the sense of the word, Rhythm and Poetry. The mainstream trash that is Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, Lil wayne etc...

I'm not really asking if you enjoy it or not (although ones opinion is appreciated). I'm ONLY asking if it can be considered to be a category of music. I dislike most country music, but I still consider it a category/genre of music.
    seldom does the passion of your pretense create an actuality in this reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikatrap View Post
    I heard your opinions are now all irrefutable fact.
    Whoever told you that seems like a pretty smart guy.

There are several songs that I absolutely love, this being one of them. The sad thing is that the majority of rap is about bullshit like money, drugs, girls, etc. etc. etc. instead of real stuff.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

Deleted
    No. It's noise.
    LOL you either live in a basement or you're 80.

Last edited by mmoc338fdc3aa9; 2011-04-20 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
    If anyone here can listen to a live version of "Let me Clear my Throat", or "Tricky" and not move any part of their body I'll be impressed.
    Well count me in as some one that impressed you. Really in my ears all cRap is some one that is just talking over a beat, (usually someone else's music sampled in). The beat is the music, not the rapping.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be curious to the ages of everyone saying "no". If the only rap song I ever heard was "Super man dat ho" or "Laffy Taffy", I might vote no also.

Quote Originally Posted by Stygianis View Post
    Well, I never liked Rap or Hip-Hop. But, somehow the world sees it as a musical Genre. I admit some rappers are/were good. One man not to talk about 2 Pac.

But, thinking about it. It is mainly a person rhyming some stuff. I am not gonna have a long discussion here about how good or not good the lyrics are. But, it is just rhyming some random stuff.

While other music genres let's take pop for an example (I do not like pop and I don't listen to it). But, the singer is actually singing.
    Rock (Can't say anything wrong here I guess you all get the point)
    Metal (In all its genres is just musical to the core)
    Whatever other genre with a singer in it and ACTUALLY singing is a musical genre. Sorry I don't have anything against Rap/Hip Hop I just don't like it.
    Singing doesn't make it music. Classical for the most part has no singer, is that not music?

This is a very dumb thing to say, rappers at least good ones need to rhyme words together and create a story, singers just have to say what they want in tune and build around it. Rappers either hear a beat and create a flow that fits it.

mu·sic/ˈmyo͞ozik/Noun
    1. The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
    2. The vocal or instrumental sound produced in this way.

Thats the definition of music and im pretty sure rap fits into this no matter how musically biased you are. I listen to all kinds of music from Pop-Rock to Metal and Rap. They all provide a different feeling and experience. just cause it isn't something you like doesn't make it any less music.