Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dark Intent: What are the new haste goals?

I was wondering if anyone has calculated the new haste goals for a shadow priest DOTs getting extra ticks now that dark intent has been nerfed for us?

Before you got 2 extra ticks out of all 3 DOTs when you had dark intent on you and 2140+ haste, ad a 3rd tick when you got to 2283 haste for devouring plague. Does anyone know what haste levels we would need to reach to get extra ticks now?

Deleted
    Check under "Core Mechanics: What Does This Mean?"
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-(by-Newnoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    Check under "Core Mechanics: What Does This Mean?"
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-(by-Newnoise)
    Those are the old haste numbers before dark intent was nerfed from 3% spell haste to 1%...I'm wondering what thenew haste goals would be for those extra DOT ticks now that we are only getting 1% haste from DI.

The stacking damage bonus was nerf'ed not the the haste you get from the spell being cast on you in the first place.

Dark Intent: The friendly target of this ability now receives 1% (stacking 3 times to 3%) periodic spell damage and healing bonus instead of 3% (stacking 3 times to 9%). The casting Warlock still receives 3% (stacking 3 times to 9%).
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...alari-features

Dark Intent

Deleted
    DI will still grant 3 % haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    The stacking damage bonus was nerf'ed not the the haste you get from the spell being cast on you in the first place.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...alari-features

Dark Intent
    Ah...so I misunderstood how it was being changed....my haste will still be the same, but the damage I do from DI will be reduced slightly?

Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    Ah...so I misunderstood how it was being changed....my haste will still be the same, but the damage I do from DI will be reduced slightly?
    Yep yep

So how do we counter this nerf? Do we seek damage elsewhere, like reforginf for a little more mastery so our shadow orbs do more damage? What are everyones thoughts about making up the damage loss?

there's no such thing as avoiding a nerf

Eh... I don't think there is anything for us to do. Int and Haste will continue to be the most important stats for us. If you always got DI (and continue to get it) you will see a slight drop. Say you had been doing 20k dps with it, taking away 6% damage you would still be doing 18,800. It's just a pill we have to swallow.

People are overstating this nerf as it is, assuming SPriests will still be getting DI, you should only see your DPS drop by 3-4% depending on how much of your damage are dots/flay.

But coming as someone who runs with more SPriests than Locks, I'm all for this nerf so the damage difference between having and not having it so extreme.

Well, then I guess my question is...

To get 2 extra ticks from all 3 of our DOT's with dark intent, we need 2140 haste. To get a 3rd tick from DP we need to get to 2283 haste. So, is it more helpful to reforge for other stats once you get to either 2140 or 2283 haste? DP is always my 5th most damaging spell, so would it be more useful to reforge for either crit or mastery and just stay at 2140 haste in favor of either of those 2 stats? Since DP is so low on my damaging spells list, it seems like the 143 haste I put into getting a 3rd tick from it might be better suited elsewhere. What are your thoughts?

I'm at 2436 haste....thats 296 haste that I can reforge in favor of another stat and still get an extra 2 ticks from all 3 of my DOTs, but I'm not sure if that would boost my DPS or not, or which stat to reforge fo since crit and mastery are so close in priority ranking.
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2011-04-26 at 05:22 PM.

Everyone is already over-estimating the loss of damage. You're losing 6% damage on your periodic dot damage, not your direct spells. Unless I'm mistaken, MF won't be effected so you'll likely see a 2-3% damage loss, if it's even that high. I wish I had actual EJ numbers to back this claim up, but DI was never responsible for a solid 9% damage increase on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicient View Post
    Everyone is already over-estimating the loss of damage. You're losing 6% damage on your periodic dot damage, not your direct spells. Unless I'm mistaken, MF won't be effected so you'll likely see a 2-3% damage loss, if it's even that high. I wish I had actual EJ numbers to back this claim up, but DI was never responsible for a solid 9% damage increase on anyone.
    Mind Flay is reflected in Dark Intent, but Mind Blast is not.

To everyone else:
    And considering haste is your top DPS stat, (other than intellect), as it makes your DoTs scale linearly with DPS (not just on ticks), there are no haste goals. Even if Dark Intent nerfed the amount of haste you're getting, that wouldn't change. Only get "more".
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2011-04-26 at 05:35 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Mind Flay is reflected in Dark Intent, but Mind Blast is not.

To everyone else:
    And considering haste is your top DPS stat, (other than intellect), as it makes your DoTs scale linearly with DPS (not just on ticks), there are no haste goals. Even if Dark Intent nerfed the amount of haste you're getting, that wouldn't change. Only get "more".
    I do agree with you, and the OP was corrected thinking that the DI nerf changed the haste instead of the periodic damage. I think the misconception I was trying to clear up was the old DI stacking to 9% increased damage equated to 9% increase in damage. This is false, and the nerf to DI isn't a 6% damage nerf to your class.

The only time you need to worry about the haste plateau for dots is if your letting your dots fall off. So you can get an extra dot tick on the none refreshed dot. If your a good shadow priest your dots will never fall off the boss and therefore haste will always benefit your dots even between the extra tick plateaus. So while being between the plateau for a non-refreshed dot your wasting haste because you don't get the tick, you will eventually get the extra tick if you keep refreshing it.
    Last edited by Plusrick; 2011-04-26 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicient View Post
    Blah I was completely discounting the periodic part of the buff. (I even went back and looked at the ability I had linked ><).

However, whomever said it is only 3-4% dps loss... well maybe if you are talking overall dps. The only spells of ours not affected by this are MB, Mind Spike, sw: Death, and the imp dp instant damage. Anywho, my point wasn't that this is a huge deal. I don't think it is

Agreed. The only thing that's happening is that Shadow Priests that are guaranteed this buff will see about a 4% drop in their damage done. That's about it. You can't "gear around" it. Haste plateaus only make sense on a spreadsheet, they don't transfer to in-game mechanics. Mastery does not become a better stat, and haste doesn't get worse.

So I should still go for as much haste as possible , even though the current gear available to me wont let me get a 3rd tick from SW: P or VT?

Absolutely yes. You don't gear for ticks.