Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Best Tanks in Cata

Hey all! I played since the last few months of Vanilla all the way through to almost the end of WotLK and took a break from the game. Now i want to come back and would like to play a tank and dont know which is the best/most viable (i PvE not PvP). Thanks in advance!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior, definitely.

Deleted
    Death Knight, you can even solo much of woltk content so yeah.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by logit3ch View Post
    Death Knight, you can even solo much of woltk content so yeah.
    That's not a valid reason. You don't solo raid bosses and the fact that DKs can self heal is not a positive in their favor in a raid because they HAVE to be able to do that since they take so much more damage than other tanks.

I'd say DKs are easily and far away the worst tanks in game atm. They have no purpose. They have no useful utility outside of brez and druid brez is infinitely superior.

I've played 3/4 (Death Knight, Druid, Paladin) - and I like my Death Knight the most, by far. So many CDs and so much self-healing that you almost don't need a healer, almost =P.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    That's not a valid reason. You don't solo raid bosses and the fact that DKs can self heal is not a positive in their favor in a raid because they HAVE to be able to do that since they take so much more damage than other tanks.

I'd say DKs are easily and far away the worst tanks in game atm. They have no purpose. They have no useful utility outside of brez and druid brez is infinitely superior.
    I'm getting a vanilla vibe from you. Still haven't accepted that warriors must not be the best tanks?

Also, explain how druid brez is "infinitely superior" to DK brez. If anything, the druid tank will be hard pressed to use his brez since he'll have to change to caster form to cast it, which won't be popular while being beat on by a badass raid boss.
    Last edited by Beace; 2011-04-27 at 08:33 PM.

Just IMO, but I'd say warrior > pally >DK > feral atm, overall. Obviously there are some cases where one might shine above the rest, but if I had my pick I'd run with warrior and pally.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    I'm getting a vanilla vibe from you. Still haven't accepted that warriors must not be the best tanks?

Also, explain how druid brez is "infinitely superior" to DK brez. If anything, the druid tank will be hard pressed to use his brez since he'll have to change to caster form to cast it, which won't be popular while being beat on by a badass raid boss.
    Why would the druid be tanking? I never said that. the druid rez is infinitely superior because you don't have to wait to cast it and it brings the player back with full health assuming you are properly glyphed.

And no, warriors are the best because they take the least damage and have the best utility.

Warriors are by far the best. They're so good, they even got a new spell that gives everyone 20% bonus HP. Because we're THAT good.

I have a paladin tank, and now I'm currently leveling a warrior to tank with. I think its more my play style but I enjoy the fuck out of charge and who doesn't want to carry a gun?

Deleted
    I have a warrior, feral druid, a DK and a paladin tank.
    Paladin is by far the best and the most fun to play tank in Cata so far and warrior is by far the most boring imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post

Vanilla vibe? From a healer stand point Warriors take 40% less damage then DKs. Followed by prots/Ferals (no idea since 4.1) I always hate healing Paper tanks (aka DKs)

Warrior seems quite cozy atm. Though I have only really tanked alongside Paladins.

A dk can be best or worst based entirely on gearing and cd usage. Overall most balanced would probably be pally (maybe not since wog nerf?) warriors have no real control but have sustained damage. and i haven't seen a druid tank.... anything but a 5 man this whole xpac so i have no idea on them

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Susej View Post
    Vanilla vibe? From a healer stand point Warriors take 40% less damage then DKs. Followed by prots/Ferals (no idea since 4.1) I always hate healing Paper tanks (aka DKs)
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume you've been healing DK's that don't know how to manage their cooldowns, which is key to the class.

The basic design of paladins is objectively the best possible tank, because they are built around the most consistent and predictable damage input. Specific ability buffs/nerfs and scaling factors might upset the balance between tanking classes from tier-to-tier as far as what is considered the most powerful, but as far as fundamental design, the paladin damage input model is the most sound with respect to being easily healable.

Wow, there are certainly a lot of opinions :P however, i think i am going to have to go with warrior... only class i have yet to experience high end content with! as well as i can have some PvP fun with my cousin who is leveling a druid healer with me
    Last edited by Catasylah; 2011-04-27 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Susej View Post
    Yes, I was speaking from the perspective of a healer there. I currently have a warrior and DK tank but I don't really feel like I can adequately say what my damage intake is on either because I'm typically focused on something else, like interrupting a spell or using a cooldown or holding threat. It's a lot easier on a healer to be able to tell what kind of damage intake a tank is currently experiencing.

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maes View Post
    A dk can be best or worst based entirely on gearing and cd usage. Overall most balanced would probably be pally (maybe not since wog nerf?) warriors have no real control but have sustained damage. and i haven't seen a druid tank.... anything but a 5 man this whole xpac so i have no idea on them
    Warriors have the most control. By far. That's why they are so good. We are staggeringly better than other tanks for fights like Heroic Halfus, Cho'gall, and Nefarian, to provide a few examples. In the case of Al'Akir, all other tanks (except for druids) are so inferior that it's almost comical.

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CLaxxess View Post
    I have a warrior, feral druid, a DK and a paladin tank.
    Paladin is by far the best and the most fun to play tank in Cata so far and warrior is by far the most boring imo.
    Wow. I have a prot paladin and I cannot stand to even touch him. Fun? There's nothing fun about the paladin class. When I retired my prot paladin as my main in WotLK and made warrior my main, my fun went up TREMENDOUSLY.

All of the following is my opinion:

Best tank is a tank that fits your playstyle at the moment.

Warrior has the most buttons to push IMO, and the mobility is fun. They also have great mitigation right now, and were given self-healing capabilities.

Paladin is pretty steady, and the self heal Word of Glory is great. 20 seconds cooldown on it sadly, but they have good utility even without it.

Feral is great at mitigating boss damage, but I feel falls behind on multiple mobs. Their mastery is being changed, so that perceived weakness might change as well.

DK seem to have a very easy time with AOE threat and self healing out the butt. It can be a very helpful tank to have around for sure. They tend to take more damage by design due to their self-healing, which can lead to spikey damage.

Any tank can be good if you know how to play. Then again, any tank could be god awful if you don't know how to play. Pick a tanking class that is most appealing to you..