Deleted

How is my priest doing?

I reached level 85 on my priest very recently and have been doing heroics to get him geared up and ready to raid. I have been playing disc in the heroics and as my gear has gotten better I've noticed healing is much easier and enjoyable, and mana is less of a worry.

Should I stay as disc, or switch over to holy? And what would you guys say is better for 10 man raiding? I have a holy spec but didn't really enjoy it in the one heroic I did.. maybe it's just because I wasn't used to it. Should I give it another chance?

Here a link to my armory just so you can have a look at where I'm at gear wise etc. Obviously not all enchanted yet since a lot of it is 333s.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rious/advanced

For reforging I'm basically favouring spirit, mastery, crit in that order, but would haste be more valuble, and if I were to go holy would I have to reforge in a different way?

I have read lots of stuff from all across the internet but wanted to just post a few final questions here to set myself straight. I know its a lot of questions but I will be greatful for input.

5 empty glyph slots
    8 unenchanted items
    2 empty sockets in 1 item
    first thing i noticed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgrazr View Post
    5 empty glyph slots
    8 unenchanted items
    first thing i noticed
    Well first of all thanks for reading my post. /sarcasm.

As I said, I can't be bothered to enchant 333 and below gear. As for glyphs, extrmely low pop server has made penance etc hard to come by. But sorting it.

Care to give any gameplay advice which is sort of why I am here?

Disc can be fairly strong in 10s, so don't feel that you have to switch to holy in order to be effective. Disc can be a lot of fun, actually, and is the reason why I decided to roll a second priest.

That said, I've found that playing disc effectively requires a lot more skill than it did pre-Cataclysm. Be sure to do some reading and to figure out the various tricks for playing it effectively. Even with good gear, it is easy to go oom without careful mana management.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgrazr View Post
    5 empty glyph slots
    8 unenchanted items
    first thing i noticed
    I read your post and that is what I noticed.
    Other than that....

You dont have train of thought or ispiration... so basically your useing more mana and not reducing damage and.

You said you cant find pennance glyph.....well what about power word barrier? Fortitude?(useful for midfight buffing) Shadowfiend?

For reforgeing you should make sure each item has some spirit on it, then go for haste and mastery

For your holy you dont have divine touch, renew is a key spell in holy, from keeping it rolling on tanks with your chakra if needed and useing it to top off players who don't need a full greater heal. Aswell as you shouldn't need spirit of redemption, if you died then you either messed up bad or it should be a wipe.
    When I play holy if I'm dieing, I'm the last one alive.

You should really have renew of spirit of redemption glyph but thats my personal choice, and prayer of mending glyph(another key spell)

And your haste should be about 12.5% as holy raid buffed for extra renew tick. crit really is kinda crap

For 10 man it is really dependent on group setup and your playstyle which spec is better. Holy is really strong with some gear, and it can be fun watching mass healing numbers on aoe fights.
    Last edited by Talimarr; 2011-05-05 at 04:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talimarr View Post
    Other than that....

You dont have train of thought or ispiration... so basically your useing more mana and not reducing damage and.

You said you cant find pennance glyph.....well what about power word barrier? Fortitude?(useful for midfight buffing) Shadowfiend?

For reforgeing you should make sure each item has some spirit on it, then go for haste and mastery

For your holy you dont have divine touch, renew is a key spell in holy, from keeping it rolling on tanks with your chakra if needed and useing it to top off players who don't need a full greater heal. Aswell as you shouldn't need spirit of redemption, if you died then you either messed up bad or it should be a wipe.

You should really have renew of spirit of redemption glyph but thats my personal choice, and prayer of mending glyph(another key spell)

And your haste should be about 12.5% as holy raid buffed for extra renew tick. crit really is kinda crap
    the 12.5% plateau is not a do or die thing. It's not necessary, can be nice to have for 10 mans, for sure, and going over it vs going mastery is largely play style.

Crit is worse than kinda crap as holy - avoid it at all costs. Holy stat prio (according to most people) int>spi>haste to 12.5 raid buffed>haste=mastery>>>>>>crit

I personally went int>spi>haste to 7.5 self buffed (12.5 raid) > mastery > haste>>>>>>>>>>>>crit

I tried both and preferred holy's play style. Both are very playable and have their uses, their strengths, and their weaknesses. I can't offer too much advice on disc, but if you are looking for some basic holy advice, that is where I can truthfully help you.

For those of you doubting mastery, with only heroic gear and vp epics, I get to 12.5 haste with 5% buff, and if spam healing a tank I can usually roll EoL for an extra 3k hps. Just FFT

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    the 12.5% plateau is not a do or die thing. It's not necessary, can be nice to have for 10 mans, for sure, and going over it vs going mastery is largely play style.

Crit is worse than kinda crap as holy - avoid it at all costs. Holy stat prio (according to most people) int>spi>haste to 12.5 raid buffed>haste=mastery>>>>>>crit

I personally went int>spi>haste to 7.5 self buffed (12.5 raid) > mastery > haste>>>>>>>>>>>>crit

I tried both and preferred holy's play style. Both are very playable and have their uses, their strengths, and their weaknesses. I can't offer too much advice on disc, but if you are looking for some basic holy advice, that is where I can truthfully help you.

For those of you doubting mastery, with only heroic gear and vp epics, I get to 12.5 haste with 5% buff, and if spam healing a tank I can usually roll EoL for an extra 3k hps. Just FFT
    12.5% raid buffed is super easy to hit, even in gear that isnt great.

And yeah crit is bad for holy , a little better for disc but not enough to give up mastery or haste

15+ Year Old Account
    12.5% raid buffed is super easy to hit, even in gear that isnt great.

And yeah crit is bad for holy , a little better for disc but not enough to give up mastery or haste
    I never indicated it was hard to hit. It's not a game breaking plateau like 2005 for resto druids, for instance. Yes, it is a somewhat relevant number, but in no ways a requirement. I do tend to reforge around it, myself, because I mostly do 5-man heroics, and being able to just toss a renew on someone and know they will be good is a nice benefit.

Deleted
    Thanks everyone for responses, some useful replies here thanks for that.

I would like this just clearing up a bit for me:

I was somehow under the impression I shouldnt be using renew at all, because of the mana it takes. Or is it just used in holy?

Also, the talents train of thought and inspiration were mentioned. Would you definately reccomend taking them? This is just the basic spec I'v got from manaflask and various other places. If I were to take these 2 talents, where should I take 4 points from? Veiled Shadows and Surge of Light seem the only places I can see myself dropping points from. What are your thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Fentality View Post
    Thanks everyone for responses, some useful replies here thanks for that.

I would like this just clearing up a bit for me:

I was somehow under the impression I shouldnt be using renew at all, because of the mana it takes. Or is it just used in holy?

Also, the talents train of thought and inspiration were mentioned. Would you definately reccomend taking them? This is just the basic spec I'v got from manaflask and various other places. If I were to take these 2 talents, where should I take 4 points from? Veiled Shadows and Surge of Light seem the only places I can see myself dropping points from. What are your thoughts on this?
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhzro...MZ0b:cVqqozzMV

Inner sanctum is nice, but not needed, as is surge of light.

Desperate prayer is a useful spell but with all the tools you have as disc you can get on without it. If I can predict I am going to take a big chunk of damage I just shield myself. If to much damage is going out then I pop barrier/PI and heal accordingly. I've gone since cata release without useing desperate prayer as disc.
    Train of thought is very useful on the otherhand, if you are a clique healer then just bind the button to an easy hit button and hit it any time its off cooldown and your going to greater heal (I think the ProcWatch addon would put an icon up)
    Or if you don't you can simply macro it to Gheal. Example: You get to use Inner focus 6 times in a 5 minute fight, say your greater heal is 8500 mana.
    6x8500=51000.

Inspiration is an essential talent. Even though you don't forge crit you still will crit a lot. Say your tank takes.....20 hits for 30k each 600000 damage
    If you had the inspiration buff on him 540000 damage
    60000 damage less or 2 greater heals/17000 mana

(These are just no sleep examples so you elitists out there stfu with exact numbers)Discipline is all about reducing the damage people take through buffs and bubble usage, not just flat out healing.

For renew I was talking about your holy spec since you were considering holy, I find holy fun personally and use it during raids (unless I am a tank healer)
    I've never used renew when playing disc, if someone needs small ammount of healing then it comes from pennance or PoH normally.
    Last edited by Talimarr; 2011-05-05 at 02:27 PM.

Other than that....

For 10 man it is really dependent on group setup and your playstyle which spec is better. Holy is really strong with some gear, and it can be fun watching mass healing numbers on aoe fights.
    Im inclined to agree heavily except honestly your not Renewing often in raids as it kills your mastery hot w/ each tick. Stick to a PoM CoH on CD and PoH/FH as needed obviously using Heal when option arises. Personally im at 8% haste so i do hit the 12.5% mark easily in a raid but i rarely find Renew benefitting me. If your playing disc Crit is decent but not demanded, however it is good to know if your tank healing Inner fire>Inner will for disc if your holy Innerfire only. Disc Power torrent>Heartsong and for Holy Heartsong is strong obviously however if u Poweraura your Torrent procs you can use your ghoul during a proc for better regen.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hakè/advanced

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Im inclined to agree heavily except honestly your not Renewing often in raids as it kills your mastery hot w/ each tick. Stick to a PoM CoH on CD and PoH/FH as needed obviously using Heal when option arises. Personally im at 8% haste so i do hit the 12.5% mark easily in a raid but i rarely find Renew benefitting me. If your playing disc Crit is decent but not demanded, however it is good to know if your tank healing Inner fire>Inner will for disc if your holy Innerfire only. Disc Power torrent>Heartsong and for Holy Heartsong is strong obviously however if u Poweraura your Torrent procs you can use your ghoul during a proc for better regen.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hakè/advanced
    PLEASE stop saying renew overwrites EoL because it DOESN'T! 12.5% HST is not only for renew, why do you have a hard time grasping this? HST does not lose value before nor after the first tick gain on renew, not for renew nor any spell. Please stop teaching priests wanting to learn your skewed way of healing with overused FH, PoH/CoH healing 99% in 5mans, not using renew, not even mentioning GH.

And it's fiend, not ghoul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither is better or worse in ten mans, they each have their own niche in gameplay. Disc is best for mitigation or tank healing, while holy excels at raid healing. I would go holy on a fight such as Atramedes for Body and Soul, and Disc is very nice for fights like Cho'gall which are heavy on tank damage. and stay disc in five-mans because, at least in my experience, holy is weaker in those dungeons.
    Stelmaria | Phantasien

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

^agree except id keep a holy spec regardless Disc on Chimmy isnt so fun in 10m

Deleted
    I find disc 10m chim pretty good - pw:b is awesome on feud phases.

Ill agree on the raid CD being amazing but ur overall healing is slower than that of a holy priest. However even in H10 i go w/ a Naked Feud to a Raid CD feud to a Hymn/Tranq feud and u should be in p2

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    PLEASE stop saying renew overwrites EoL because it DOESN'T! 12.5% HST is not only for renew, why do you have a hard time grasping this? HST does not lose value before nor after the first tick gain on renew, not for renew nor any spell. Please stop teaching priests wanting to learn your skewed way of healing with overused FH, PoH/CoH healing 99% in 5mans, not using renew, not even mentioning GH.

And it's fiend, not ghoul.
    Please for the love of god read your talent tree. 1st and for most i said that I can Flash spam w/ my current Spirit/mp5 in a 5m w/o being oom. I did not and would not recommend that for a fresh or semi geared 85 priest. Your healing is apparently bad because you dont listen to people at all. I have tried haste you cast more thats all you heal less but cast more crazy efficient right...wrong. 12.5% haste is the 1st additional TICK of renew thats why raid buffed it is your target AGAIN RESEARCH YOUR CLASS OR DONT SPEAK. [Divine Touch] your Renew will instantly heal for 10% of the periodic effect, guess what it OVERWRITES EoL sorry your wrong again.

Directly from Ensidia Holy guide for T1 content

Reforging

Since there is hitcap or expertise cap to worry about as a healer I will just keep this simple.

Spirit > Mastery > Haste > Crit. This is the stat order to follow when considering reforging and infact any upgrades where the iLvL is the same.

A couple of examples:

If the item has no Spirit but has Crit and Mastery then you reforge the Crit to Spirit.
    If the item has Haste and Spirit, reforge the Haste to Mastery.
    If the item has Mastery and Spirit, do nothing.

I'm going to bring up Renew since there seems to be a lot of guides recommending it. I almost never use renew, only on some fights where you are moving a huge amount and can't cast. Good examples of this might be Alakir Phase 1 & 3 or Ascendant Council Phase 2. Neither of these examples justify actually speccing and gemming for it though because it is useless in the other phases. The biggest reason for Renew being poor is that it gets no gain from our Mastery except for Empowered Renew which is a tiny amount anyway. If I am standing still I will never cast Renew and this is the majority of raid time. Renew is also very mana heavy so without Shard of Woe it is going to send you oom quickly even with the recent reduction.
    Seriously 2/13 heroic 10m post nerf shadowpriest stop pretending you have a clue.

Now to the OP your doing fine on your gear/gem choices for a disc priest and should continue to do so. Obviously being a fresh 85 your gonna need some time to get gear and a feel for your spec/class. I hope your enjoying your priest and the playstyle you have chosen. =) Have fun in ZA til you get your mace off last boss its very nice for disc.
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2011-05-08 at 07:49 PM.