How to restore previous settings

Good evening guys,

My younger brother is absolutely clueless about computers, he's 13. I visited him earlier today and he committed the irreparable: he installed Frostwire and downloaded stuff off it. You know what that means. Anyway, I noticed he gets a BSOD at the OS login screen. I know that I can simply login into safe mode, run a Malwarebyte's, Avast!, all good...but yea some stuff just won't go and I don't have that amount of computer knowledge. Also, re-installing OS is not an option as the CD is lost and well, it's not exactly a high-end computer so I don't think I'd be willing to buy another. I definitely don't want to pirate a copy either, since it's just wrong.

Anyway I just want to know how to put his computer back how it was say, a week ago. The damage have been caused roughly 2 days ago, and nothing important is on the computer. Any tips on how to do it? I've seen it before, and I remember doing it for myself a long time ago, I just need refreshers.

Thanks,
    Chicken

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Anyway I just want to know how to put his computer back how it was say, a week ago.
    Thanks,
    Chicken
    Assuming your on Win 7 or Vista. Keep hitting F8 in start up. select "Repair your computer" You should boot into recovery mode. Log in and select system restore.

If your on XP and can log into XP in safe mode open up a run box and type /rstrui.exe or select it from the start> programs> accessories> system tools> system restore menu.
    Last edited by mmocabc193a07b; 2011-05-05 at 11:04 PM.

Hey Chickensoup,

Sounds like you wish to use the system restore function in Windows. Check out here for an easy to follow, step-by-step guide.

I know it's not the best guide in the world, but I was unable to find any better!

Quick guide is:

1. Press F8 upon boot to enter safemode.
    2. When in windows click Start.
    3. Type system restore in the Search box, and then press ENTER.
    4. Keep pressing next and then choose the date closest to 2 weeks ago.
    5. System will reboot and problem should be solved.

Better yet. Go wake your brother up and force him to do it!

Hope that helps!

Also, I should add that it is legal to download torrents such as Windows XP or Windows 7 if you are actually going to use a legitimate CD key.
    Last edited by Jaqera; 2011-05-05 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqera View Post
    Hey Chickensoup,

Sounds like you wish to use the system restore function in Windows. Check out here for an easy to follow, step-by-step guide.

I know it's not the best guide in the world, but I was unable to find any better!

Quick guide is:

1. Press F8 upon boot to enter safemode.
    2. When in windows click Start.
    3. Type system restore in the Search box, and then press ENTER.
    4. Keep pressing next and then choose the date closest to 2 weeks ago.
    5. System will reboot and problem should be solved.

Better yet. Go wake your brother up and force him to do it!

Hope that helps!

Also, I should add that it is legal to download torrents such as Windows XP or Windows 7 if you are actually going to use a legitimate CD key.
    Frostwire and programs are still there, but it seems to be working. I'll just reboot, do a clean sweep, uninstall everything and problem should be good. Thanks!