Thread: Backstab Addon?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Backstab Addon?

My roommate is a pvp rogue, but says he's always had issues with being behind a target for those abilities that require you to be. He is constantly wanting an addon that somehow augments his target to show an arrow or something as to which direction they are facing, as to easily backstab.

Does anyone know of an addon out there that helps with this or does this type of prospective, positioning thing?
    Last edited by Irisel; 2011-05-05 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typoz

Yes, DroodFocus has a built-in, huge ass Arrow that tells you which direction to go, to be behind your target. I'm pretty sure it also makes a noise if you try an ability from the front, that requires you to be behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    I think he just needs to get used to it. First time I played Rogue I hated Backstab but now it's no problem at all. It's still annoying vs. people with a size reduction buff, though.
    He's played his rogue for over two years now. I think he just would really like the aid of an addon showing what direction the enemy is facing.

Deleted
    Lol how can he not be able to look at his target and determine which direction he is facing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tmzko View Post
    Lol how can he not be able to look at his target and determine which direction he is facing?
    Obviously he can, but I think there are times were is it near impossible to determine. Such as when the target is tiny, or when he's in a huge group, cluster fuck. The only option in those times are to just spam it until you get behind the enemy.

It would be useless in pvp anyway. The server often determines a players back to not be where it appears client side.

Deleted
    I had this problem too. when going agianst a healer or a warrior who is forever spinning around stopping you from getting behind them, just takes some time and zoom in, wait for the stun then strain your eyes at the screen

Turn with your mouse to close your gap fast, technically you need to make only 180 degrees to make a successful backstab(maximum). So, if the target is small just strafe and use the mouse to close that angle faster, after you pin point the back of your target (successful backstab) you should be able to do your stuff without too much problem even if it spins around(small target, many players, doesn't matter from this point on), your eyes should have the target focused (and with proper training it should not take too much of your field of view either).

I always get the feeling that people who post this problem dont understand the strafe controls properly.

Hold in Right mouse button only and always while in combat - that is the trick.

Run around in circles till u see a big number (20k+) and in yellow flash on ur screen. Then stop running
    Last edited by Bobbojonno; 2011-05-06 at 11:51 AM.
    Night Elf till I die
    Everything else is second best

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbojonno View Post
    I always get the feeling that people who post this problem dont understand the strafe controls properly.

Run around in circles till u see a big number (20k+) and in yellow flash on ur screen. Then stop running
    I'm gonna agree with this, its easy to get back behind the mob if you play like this. You have a 180 degrees angle to backstab so it shouldn't take long to get back behind it.

Yeah thats exactly it, you just need to spam it while you circle strafe. If they are circle strafing as well you can actually land backstabs from what looks like right in front of them which is why an addon showing the way their model appears to be facing according to your client is worthless.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not sure if you actually READ the post, but I am not the rogue with this issue, so you're right, I don't understand your strafe suggestion or whatever.

I was just trying to help out my roommate who every so obtain complains that it's hard for him to find enemys' backs.

Maybe he just needs to deal with it, but he seems to really want one, so I'm trying to accommodate.

15+ Year Old Account
    I gave up bothering to find the enemies backs now, I just run circles (randomly, through them, around them etc so they can't predict your movements) whilst spamming backstab, and it works. No addon will reliably show you the enemies back anyway especially in the case of fighting other melee (as they will always be dancing around you too)

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    I'm not sure if you actually READ the post, but I am not the rogue with this issue, so you're right, I don't understand your strafe suggestion or whatever.

I was just trying to help out my roommate who every so obtain complains that it's hard for him to find enemys' backs.

Maybe he just needs to deal with it, but he seems to really want one, so I'm trying to accommodate.
    Ive actually READ the post and given you a suggestion of how to help your friend. Use it, dont use, whatever. And its my pleasure btw.
    Night Elf till I die
    Everything else is second best

Ah and there was me thinking there was a new add-on that told you in 2" high letters when to BS a mob that's <35% health...

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    My roommate is a pvp rogue, but says he's always had issues with being behind a target for those abilities that require you to be. He is constantly wanting an addon that somehow augments his target to show an arrow or something as to which direction they are facing, as to easily backstab.

Does anyone know of an addon out there that helps with this or does this type of prospective, positioning thing?

15+ Year Old Account
    sorry to sound like a dick but after two years of playing an he still struggles with backstab positoing mybe he should think of rolling another class.

again i mean no offence
    Chaotic Serenity - US Frostmourne Alliance 13/13 Mythic

15+ Year Old Account
    Such an addon would be useless against anyone other than a complete noob. Good players change their facing constantly against a sub rogue because they know it screws up your backstabbing. In reality tho if you sit right on top of your target and spam backstab it's pretty damn hard to not land them consistently even if they are trying their best to stop you.

Tell him to stop keyboard turning.

To get position on your opponent you need to be continually moving and circle strafing so that you are increasing your chance that one of your spammed attacks hits your opponents back. Due to latency you can never trust that what is showing on your client is what is actually happening on the server.

Personally I don't have any problems with using my Mk.1 eyeball to see a mobs health, but I'd imagine there are some out there who still need a prompt when to BS....

Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    You could just make a Power Aura for that.

He has a 180 degree plane that he can be within to hit people. As in as long as you're at least beside someone you can melee. Just run on top of them and turn from side to side if they're backpeddling. Or do what I do and run in circles around them because they're ignoring you while you're backstabbing the shit out of them in a bg for some reason.