Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Four of my friends moved from WoW to Rift. Only one of them still plays WoW. However, there subscriptions are still active (from buying 6months). So WoW probably lost more subscribers than 600k, since some inactive account still have game time. I'm wondering how these numbers will decline, and what Blizzard will do about it. I know people are getting tired of the same stuff. This game is 6 years old, running on the same game engine, etc. so I don't know what they could do to freshen things up without creating WoW 2. I like what they did with all the questing zones, but in the end it is the same game with a new coat of paint. Still love it though

I hear alot of people on both sides of this spectrum here, but one question i have is when did any of this discussion ever arise on such great scales during vanilla or tbc? Topics like this only truly started to arise in mass amounts during wotlk, sure its okay to say to a certain population that "you're just elitists and you don't truly understand the game and are quitting for crybaby reasons" but that used to only be maybe pvpers that got sick and tired of class balance or mechanics, when did you ever see RAIDERS quitting the game because of a lack of content? or lack of challenge? not in tbc and vanilla thats for sure...

now truly i did give this game another chance with cataclysm, I lost every ounce of passion i had for this game after season 5 in wrath my personal reason being lack of challenge in the game overall, felt "dumb'd down" in all aspects, not to mention i HATED playing fury as a warrior, and making us go that spec in pvp or we fail?lulnothx. I would still log on casually throughout wotlk maybe once a week sometimes twice a week then periods of only once a month.(WTF was i paying 15 bucks a month for? God knows, woulda been put to better use wiping my ass with those bills) So catty comes out and i say fck it Blizzard knows their shit, they know wotlk was semi-fail, they'll learn from their mistakes, lets give this a chance... and catty was just a repeat of wotlk... if not even worse, everything that you had to work for in vanilla or tbc (gear,reps,raids,titles) ANYTHING felt just so damn tedious and not challenging in the slightest sense. I also think bringing specs to pvp that never really had a place in pvp and was meant maybe more so for raiding or other shit just slowly made the game dumb, but once again thats just opinion. A good amount of people will agree with me here when i say that the golden era of WoW is truly finished, and has been since wotlk.... feel free to disagree this is just opinion again.... Maybe "TITAN" will blow our minds away and bring back some good ol sick nastyyyy mmo sex. But if blizzard makes the mistake of installing features with the release of titan that make the game dumbed down and not challenging we'll see a repeat of wotlk and cata....

aannnyyyways i'm done, i think a band-aid for saving WoW or saving some of the population before it slowly starts to shed most of its subscribers would be the release of tbc and vanilla servers without all the shit that "Helps noobs" haha. PZ

---------- Post added 2011-05-11 at 05:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    I think most can see that the designers are not really in touch with their playerbase atm. Even if they know their game and play it more often does not mean they know anything what the playerbase is asking for. Thats the problem atm.

But maybe .. they are just totally IGNORING the playerbase ?

For example - its very intresting to see HUGE amount of time and effort beeing spent on one item that less than 0.5% of the playerbase will ever get (legendery staff). Yes.. these are the same devs that said to us few weeks ago that adding more custimisation like dye system and more barbershop features were not really worth the design time and money.... And these are also the same devs that removed class specific quests from the game on the bases it was not effective design for the whole playerbase. Yes.. really ...

Now those same devs are catering to smallest possible playerbase with specific quests and multiple item looks. This is ofc very intresting considering that 5% of the playerbase left Cata in first 4 months - and they are catering to 0.5 % with this item - ignoring those 99.5% that are asking for real custimasation beeing added to the game.
    Just wanted to quote some of this and discuss it, see i truly think that ideas like dye system, barbershop features, player housing, guild housing, REVAMPED PVP/combat system?!! All are more so what players want to see, not the same old shit that is recycled making players just do the same shit they've been doing since 2 expansions ago just aiming for the same shit (moar stats, bigger numbers) <---yet its not challenging to get any of that shit since wotlk, remember tbc and vanilla? YOU HAD FULL TIER 0 SET? FK YAH BRO SHIT OWNS...... even when mc was out, gear just felt like so much more... players felt more rewarded for accomplishing raids, world pvping, and doing tedious shit like even rep grinding.... JUST GO BACK TO HOW IT USED TO BE BLIZZARD GAWD DAMN IT....... *sob* *sob* waahhhhhhhhhhh. this is all just opinion once again, plz dont hurt me peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    It hadn't occurred to me, but yeah. When you put it like that, it does seem rather asinine. They have no excuse not to put in a dye system (at the very least) except for the truth--laziness, reluctance to devote development resources.

Also, for the love of Uther, can we please stop screwing around with class balance every patch? DKs are up, then they're down, then they're up again. Same for plenty of other specs. It gets old.
    Look at how long it took them to add character list sorting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    It hadn't occurred to me, but yeah. When you put it like that, it does seem rather asinine. They have no excuse not to put in a dye system (at the very least) except for the truth--laziness, reluctance to devote development resources.

Also, for the love of Uther, can we please stop screwing around with class balance every patch? DKs are up, then they're down, then they're up again. Same for plenty of other specs. It gets old.
    Yup. New player models, new hairstyles, armor dye, dance studio, tattoos, all these things help make the player feel more like an individual. None of them effect game play at all other than furthering the enjoyment of the player and people have been begging Blizzard for these things since about day one.... but nooooo, let's get some old as hell Instances tuned up to 85 instead.... Yeah, that's exciting...... or Archeology, instead of Path of the Titans because the B-Team doesn't know how to implement it. Not to mention that in Cata you have to quest in a completely linear questline in each zone and Alliance and Horde have nearly all the same quests, questing hubs and flight paths.... it's just a sad waste of an expac.

I think this is a pretty clear indication that wow has hit it peak and is now on the way down.
    While its possible that it just a temporary decrease and will continue to go up, i think that is unlikely.

Will be interesting to see how fast it drops, I tihnk the drop will be larger after the 6 months subscription lapse, maybe another drop when diablo 3 comes out.
    But after that it will just be a slow decline untill some point where it flattens out at maybe 1 mil players.

You know, if the loss of subscribers was a trend, I'd say the people who hate WoW have a point. Too bad it hasn't shown that.

Amazing how hateful ex-WoW players are compared to other gamers who have quit other mmos. Did WoW touch you in the naughty place?

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    You know, if the loss of subscribers was a trend, I'd say the people who hate WoW have a point. Too bad it hasn't shown that.

Amazing how hateful ex-WoW players are compared to other gamers who have quit other mmos. Did WoW touch you in the naughty place?
    Same reason why religious people, when they leave their church, are so hateful against all churches/religion more than people who have never been a part of a church or religion.

*NOTE* not meant to start a religious discussion, not allowed. Just showing the correlation of people who hate WoW more after they quit than people who hate it even though they've never played it.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by daburton View Post
    Wow and I thought I had it bad. I got that content when I shelled out the $40 bucks for the xpac.
    And? And I still playing, and exploring this content. Due to wow-progress, 0,64% guilds completed all raiding content.

Its lesser minority than ppl who read quest lines!

Let the 99,36% guild have fun from 4.0 raids, kk?

Deleted
    Blizzard is being stupid if they think delivering more expansions can prevent people from unsubscribing.

1st) I am unsub since December 2010 and I did it because I don't have the money anymore, I can't play with my friends because I can't afford 25 € to transfer and I don't really have the time.
    Offering free transfers, but limited to a CD, can actually bring back people to wow.

2nd) They don't need to release more expansions, forcing people to pay more money for extra content. Content can be delivered with 4-5 major patches per expantion and that model has worked fined since mid WotLK. From that point on we have been given more and more rehashes of already existing content and content that is pretty much rubbish (Yes I'm talking about Onyxia, ZA, ZG and ToC, respectively).

EDIT: About people leaving wow to go play RIFT:
    The real question people have to ask is what are the demographic details of the 600k unsubers? When is RIFT coming to China? See what I did here??
    Last edited by mmoc6427d98424; 2011-05-11 at 03:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Msrogue View Post
    Same reason why religious people, when they leave their church, are so hateful against all churches/religion more than people who have never been a part of a church or religion.

*NOTE* not meant to start a religious discussion, not allowed. Just showing the correlation of people who hate WoW more after they quit than people who hate it even though they've never played it.
    Just my personal thoughts, my opinion is that it has more to do with a bad taste being left in their mouth. I played a different MMORPG before joining WoW and quit through a kind of twisted mutual apathy - the developers had totally given up on the section of the game that I enjoyed most and I became tired of trying to prop it up for them. I'm not getting paid to fix their problems, so I just stopped logging in over time. Every time I've gone on a break from WoW, it's because the developers have changed the way in which something functions, abruptly interrupting my playstyle often to force me into a role I didn't want to take. When this happens, I get the feeling that they're trying to say to me "We don't want you to play that way, you have to play this way." (which is just about the worst thing you can communicate to a very stubborn person).

I don't want to totally quit WoW, but I don't feel like playing nearly as much, any more. I play casually, without a guild (bad track record, not interested in any guild, in any game, ever again), and since Cataclysm I feel like I'm being punished for choosing not to associate myself with (some nice, but) generally the kind of people I wouldn't look at, much less speak to outside the game. It's like all your siblings getting gifts one day but because you chose to walk home from school instead of catching the bus, you miss out. Their ride was easier, more comfortable and quicker, and they were still given more than you were. Nobody likes favouritism.

I think the issue is... instead of trying to balance the classes they are just making everything the same... so that kinda makes the game boring.

I left in January or so, and haven't looked back.

That daily blink seemed like it was personal for the writer.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. I quit too, but im already considering going back. Not coz i enjoy the game, but because im addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondame View Post
    I'm proud to of been 1 of the subscribers who recently has left WoW. That being said, I'm also someone who had been playing since closed beta. The game has changed over the years, but unfortunately the game development team members have as well. Will WoW die? Doubtful. WoW could fall down to 400k subscribers.. and thats the number the estimated for "success" back when it released. So no, WoW will never die.

But WoW did die in my heart. Yeah I still like it, but its not the awesome thing to write home to mom about, much less to anyone else. The game has begun to lack over the years for me personally. Its roller coaster of easy vs hard content and debates. WOLK honestly was the turning point for me. Everyone talks about ho LK was easy... if thats your only complaint then you have serious problems.

LK lacked in the epicness that I wanted from killing one of the most famous and well known characters. But LK was a step up from the rest of the xpac. Going into Naxx in WOLK in crap gear and being able to full clear in the first week... thats just one of the many things that well... sucked.

The game also now quickly caters to people. Like take for instance the guild exp right now.... it's only been screwed with more then anything else lately. Up and down.. up and down. Now its just down for guild exp. What happened to hard work gets rewards? Sure for me.. cause my guild sucked (ONE on firetree) at cooperation. It was like a daily job. 120 million guild exp for me.. while the closest person had 60 million. Really was discouraging. But again.. rewarded for the work you put in.. IE: insane title. Though eventually with guild exp you would get the rewards.

Now its becoming to easy for that. People complain "tired of repeated" dailies. I miss the days when no dailies existed. But call me old fashioned. I just don't like giving free rides to people who put in little to no effort. I guess thats why WoW currency i so easy to get anymore..

Anyways... rambling. Waiting for D3, titan MMO, SWTOR, or even the next SC Expac. Many other half way decent, time consuming games out there. But when it comes to wow.. I just don't feel it anymore. The fire for it is gone. That and the customer service when you have an issue... well its pretty bad. That and when they do listen to forums or the consumer base.. its the less then 80 IQ they listen to.. not the actual player for has/had a passion for this game.

Agreed to the many statements that if WoW lost that many subs by March, then by now its probably doubled as to the problems as a whole of Cata for the gaming community. I am not about to flame more but just trying to be optimistic on a game that I gave so many years to could make a comeback. I guess in my mind even with my account cancelled, they have until D3 or possibly SWTOR to make it right and draw me back. For now Starcraft and piddly shooter games are tying up my interests.

If I could pick my happiest time playing wow it was when the ICC opened. So much to do in the game and it was fun. Since that time my guild split up and put a focus on 10mans for those that were left and it was like saying goodbye to friends in the game. I stopped raiding and fell into the 'casual' raider as my guild started focusing on Hardmodes. The thing that really ruined it for me was not only the heroics but the raids no longer being fun....and 10mans....bring back the 25 mans!

Funny how when the content of the game changes so goes the guilds in WoW.....

sp true

Quote Originally Posted by ZyngaFail View Post
    When you are at the point of quitting, you log in only to stare at your toon for 20 seconds and then log out.
    This is exactly what I found myself doing over the last couple of months- now I barely log in. I have 10 85s- one of each class- which I figured would give me new stuff to do even though i was doing the same content- even that's become boring. I was a hardcore raider before cata- haven't done any raiding since the relase. The raid model sucks. Even the hard core raid guilds on my server have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerakal View Post
    Well what do they expect, everyone's beaten the current content,
    lol no. Few people are raiding, and of those that are, only a minority have cleared even normal mode raids.

Morhaime has to know the reason subs are declining so much is not because people blew through the content too quickly, although I'm sure they're also losing people whose guilds fall apart while working on HM raids.

I have to suspect the number of subs lost in the high value markets (NA, EU) is more than 600K, with China adding accounts so the total number doesn't look as bad. They'd have given the NA/EU numbers otherwise.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Being an old WoW player (started pre-TBC) I miss the old "systems" even if it meant hard work.

The idea of making WoW into game for casuals was a mistake. The daylie grinds, the achievement system feels like only a trick to keep people occupied in game, since everything time consuming such as travelling and spend hours in actually hard 5 man heroics is gone. I also feel the dungeon finder made it too easy to just jump into a group of people you never met, and you miss out on all those runs with friends. Besides, when in a random group, situations tends to become very nasty if someone in group is underperforming etc... It was very nice to put a group together yourself, made you many new friends outside guild to

Mounts were actually a treasure to get as with pets! Now the game is just flooded with them, and people are spending a lot of real money to get the 150 pets ach, wich I feel is demoralizing to.

Class homogenisation and boss mechanics being based on this is also boring. Took away a lot of flavor, and neither did it make "bring the player, not the class" very viable either.

Today, to spend a lot of time in game is wasted, it feels like there is nothing meaningful to do besides raids. It won't do you more good than to just log on, put yourself in a dungeon que. Boring, simply.

I also think that the change of making raids having 2 difficulties is not encouraging either. Why should everyone have the chance to kill all bosses? And for me, it takes away a lot of fun to first kill normal, then start over again on heroic, doing the same bosses for another 5 months or more. It was a lot more of an adventure seeing the top guilds kill bosses you could not reach, making you want it even more. Back then there were true legendary status on those good guilds

My personal oppinions, I respect and understand if you don't feel the same

I know the thought behind all this might have been good.. But ended up being un-exciting and a lot of times just simply boring.

This is for Blizzard: You have to get better at caring/communicating with the player base. I see so many frustrated players now, for example, in the Priest community about the complete lack of Spirit Cloth drop in Firelands raids, class mechanics, PvP, everything...

It's quite important to get feedback as a player, especially when this game is so much more than a game for many.
    Last edited by nobodysbaby; 2011-08-04 at 03:12 PM.

I remember the days of going into UBRS with a random group of people and it being fun trying to get the bosses to drop the items I wanted. Even if they were just blue items. Then there was Molten Core. I remember getting my first Tier 1 piece ... The Nightslayer helm. It was amazing! I remember the people from the server were freaking out because it was one of the first EPIC purple pieces seen in game. Today, epic gear isn't very special. It's just part of the game and can be attained with little to no effort.

Do you remember helping your buddy try to get High Warlord? (sorry Alliance, I was Horde). Do you remember doing group PvP for something OTHER than personal achievements? For fun? Battlegrounds today are but a glimpse of what it once was. Sure, class imbalance made it crazy, but it was still fun running around AB trying to get as much honor as possible! I remember a time when I was killed by equal or better skilled players, regardless of gear. Today, it's not like that. Roll the right class, slam your face on the keyboard with some resilience gear and win.

I miss Vanilla, I miss BC. I miss World of Warcraft. Until the game can get back to what made it so much fun then, I will spend my money and my free time doing other things and exploring other options. WoW is an amazing game with a wonderful story. But today, the game lacks in so many areas, it's just not fun to play anymore for me. The whole homogenization mindset has really hurt the game in its entirety. Hopefully someone will step in and take the reigns to take the game back to where it once was ... for me anyway.

---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 11:05 AM ----------

Do you remember being part of the AQ event? Do you remember how cool it was to see the gates open and go into AQ20 and AQ40? How about how accomplished you and your guild felt when you downed a boss in Naxx in Vanilla? Remember the world bosses and how fun they were? How much fun the dragons were to kill and/or grief the other faction when they tried to kill one of these world Dragons?

Better yet, how did you feel when you were sitting there at your computer waiting for midnight to come so you could play the Burning Crusade? Did you say "HOLY SHIT!" like I did when you first entered Outland? Or how special it was to kill Lady Vashj and/or Kael'Thas? Did you not feel what I felt when I entered the Black Temple for the first time? Wasn't that a good time?

I miss those days ladies and gentlemen ... I think that WoW has gone down a different path that makes it a much different game that it once was. A game that I just bring myself to play today. And that's sad, because I absolutely love the Warcraft story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alki View Post
    I remember the days of going into UBRS with a random group of people and it being fun trying to get the bosses to drop the items I wanted. Even if they were just blue items. Then there was Molten Core. I remember getting my first Tier 1 piece ... The Nightslayer helm. It was amazing! I remember the people from the server were freaking out because it was one of the first EPIC purple pieces seen in game. Today, epic gear isn't very special. It's just part of the game and can be attained with little to no effort.

Do you remember helping your buddy try to get High Warlord? (sorry Alliance, I was Horde). Do you remember doing group PvP for something OTHER than personal achievements? For fun? Battlegrounds today are but a glimpse of what it once was. Sure, class imbalance made it crazy, but it was still fun running around AB trying to get as much honor as possible! I remember a time when I was killed by equal or better skilled players, regardless of gear. Today, it's not like that. Roll the right class, slam your face on the keyboard with some resilience gear and win.

I miss Vanilla, I miss BC. I miss World of Warcraft. Until the game can get back to what made it so much fun then, I will spend my money and my free time doing other things and exploring other options. WoW is an amazing game with a wonderful story. But today, the game lacks in so many areas, it's just not fun to play anymore for me. The whole homogenization mindset has really hurt the game in its entirety. Hopefully someone will step in and take the reigns to take the game back to where it once was ... for me anyway.

---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 11:05 AM ----------

Do you remember being part of the AQ event? Do you remember how cool it was to see the gates open and go into AQ20 and AQ40? How about how accomplished you and your guild felt when you downed a boss in Naxx in Vanilla? Remember the world bosses and how fun they were? How much fun the dragons were to kill and/or grief the other faction when they tried to kill one of these world Dragons?

Better yet, how did you feel when you were sitting there at your computer waiting for midnight to come so you could play the Burning Crusade? Did you say "HOLY SHIT!" like I did when you first entered Outland? Or how special it was to kill Lady Vashj and/or Kael'Thas? Did you not feel what I felt when I entered the Black Temple for the first time? Wasn't that a good time?

I miss those days ladies and gentlemen ... I think that WoW has gone down a different path that makes it a much different game that it once was. A game that I just bring myself to play today. And that's sad, because I absolutely love the Warcraft story.
    Yeah, I remember all those days too, getting an epic piece of gear felt so good. The nostalgia is gone for me though. I think it was super cool at the time because it was really really new. Now all people want is welfare epics and someone to hold their hand through every raid. It's lame to see but that's really what wow has come to. In my opinion I just see all the old casual players moving on and the elitist pve players sticking it out till the very end.