View Poll Results: Do you think the Acid in the eyes punishment is right?

Voters
784. This poll is closed
  • Yes

506 64.54%
  • No

278 35.46%
Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    Eye for an Eye, he'll get what he deserves.
    Eye for an eye is a punishment that is the SAME as the crime. The man poured a bucket full of acid on her face. He'll get drops of acid on his eyes (if he does, the woman doesn't want revenge no matter how much you do). Not that I agree with eye for an eye but this punishment isn't eye for an eye if it happens to begin with. How can people here argue in favor of eye for an eye when they don't even know what it means?

10+ Year Old Account
    The definition of Monster is man made, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Starskee View Post
    You're like the people who hate on Batman.
    batman doesnt kill/mutilate people

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Monsters aren't real, bud. Honest.
    Even really really really really bad people, like Hitler, were little babies at one time, and were someone's child.
    It's okay to hate someone like that. But to dehumanize them, call them a monster, so that we can feel better about killing/maiming/torturing them?
    That makes us the real monster.

---------- Post added 2011-05-14 at 07:59 PM ----------

I would agree with you if, as you said, mutilating, torturing, raping, molesting or murdering a person undid what they did.
    But it doesn't, and so what it really accomplishes is nothing.
    Those people are monsters. It isn't dehumanizing it is an accurate description of what they are. To say otherwise is beyond understanding, you're probably one of those people who blames the victims right?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    I would agree with you if, as you said, mutilating, torturing, raping, molesting or murdering a person undid what they did.

By that logic, the whole concept of punishing people at all becomes void.

Heres a question to you guys who support "eye for an eye"
    there have been times when people have been wrongly accused.
    if someone is been placed in prison for a time, but later found out they are innocent, they can be released, unfortunately you cannot give back their time they lost in prison but atleast they are still whole.

if someone in the past or the future is wrongly accused of a crime, had him blinded/killed or some other cruel punishment, but then later found out he/she is innocent, what do you do? you cant give back their eyes, or resurrect them.
    Last edited by EndAging; 2011-05-14 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spreading logic

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    By that logic, the whole concept of punishing people at all becomes void.
    Don't expect logic from such people, apparently all you need to do is give them a slap on the wrist and hope they won't kill again. Or better yet, lets spend billions letting these people eat better than some law abiding citizens do!

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    It isn't sympathy, it's the belief that nobody deserves to be in pain. People should face the consequences, including this man, but "an eye for an eye" would only make more suffering, when the punishment of a crime should try to lessen suffering. The victim herself has said that she just doesn't want other people to suffer in the way she did. If there's another way for this man to pay without suffering, yet stopped others from doing the same thing, I wouldn't hesitate to bet that she would be the first to agree with it.

Jail may be innefective, but in my opinion, that doesn't make "an eye for an eye" better. We should be looking for a solution that effectively punishes the criminal without causing more suffering, not falling back onto something that, in my opinion, makes us no better than the man who committed the crime.
    I don't know how that idea came to be. In most eastern countries, Justice is bringing balance. It has nothing to do with lessening sufferring. How the hell Justice lessens suffering?

Justice is a medium to bring order through balance. No more and no less. so that the victim can't accuse the law for favoring the criminal, while the criminal does not accuse the law of favoring the victim. if they do that, laws becomes unjust.

I dont think its a good punishment for anything. Even death seems to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by EndAging View Post
    just something to think about.
    Now you lost them. :P

Don't expect logic from such people, apparently all you need to do is give them a slap on the wrist and hope they won't kill again.
    Use straw man whenever your other arguments fail. Can't loose with that tactic, right?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2011-05-14 at 08:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

can't undo the past, but you can make people think about the future.

hmmm... maybe i shouldn't rape this woman because i don't want my dick chopped off.

hmmm... maybe i shouldn't throw acid in this woman's face because i don't want acid thrown in mine.

GOLDEN RULE: do unto others as you would have them do to you

EYE FOR AN EYE: have done unto you as you have done unto others

quite similar, yet the latter is always discounted as barbaric while the former is held high as the golden rule... how fucked
    Last edited by BigPimpin; 2011-05-14 at 08:08 PM. Reason: screwed the quote
    He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice. --Albert Einstein

No, and any ration human knows that. His actions were of the lowest kind, why should we stoop to his level?

But I guess we still live in a time of barbaric society.

10+ Year Old Account
    i say yes. today's society needs stricter rules. you kill someone, you dont get death penalty cause it aint much, but you get to go through your whole life suffering consequences, in this particular case being blind.

so yes, im all up for "an eye for an eye" cause that way people might actually think before they do something bad just cause they are bored or something....

Quote Originally Posted by EndAging View Post
    Heres a question to you guys who support "eye for an eye"
    there have been times when people have been wrongly accused.
    if someone is been placed in prison for a time, but later found out they are innocent, they can be released, unfortunately you cannot give back their time they lost in prison but atleast they are still whole.

if someone in the past or the future is wrongly accused of a crime, had him blinded/killed or some other cruel punishment, but then later found out he/she is innocent, what do you do? you cant give back their eyes, or resurrect them.
    just something to think about.
    Nobody here said do it immediately. They've even delayed carrying out his punishment. Nobody is saying go into a blind rage, blame someone because its convenient and punish them to make yourself feel better. If he is guilty, which he is, he deserves the punishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Those people are monsters. It isn't dehumanizing it is an accurate description of what they are. To say otherwise is beyond understanding, you're probably one of those people who blames the victims right?
    That's asinine. Even if someone kills another person, they are still a living, breathing human being, with all the rights that any other human being has. What they have done is inexcusable - but that doesn't change them into something less-than human.
    The moment society begins treating people as less-than human, is the moment we all have something to fear.

I have nothing but sympathy for the victims, and their families. However, I do not approve of vengeance, because it is one of the most base acts that a human can perform. We're supposed to have evolved past that sort of behaviour, for the most part.

Nothing fundamentally good can ever come of hurting another human being.
    Creating a second victim just makes matters worse.

it has nothing to do with me or my family so i really couldnt care less

Quote Originally Posted by BigPimpin View Post

hmmm... maybe i shouldn't rape this woman because i don't want my dick chopped off.

hmmm... maybe i shouldn't throw acid in this woman's face because i don't want acid thrown in mine.

quite similar, yet the latter is always discounted as barbaric while the former is held high as the golden rule... how fucked
    One "minor" flaw with your logic: mentally unstable people do not give a shit about the golden rule. When these people act in the heat of the moment/emotion ,they do not think about the future. But this has been pointed out many times before, I don't know what good it'll do this time. Someone else is bound to bring up the exact same argument as you did soon enough.

I hate the saying two wrongs don't make a right. So if someone throws acid in my eyes they should get away with it because '2 wrongs dont make a right herp derp'. Fuck that, i'm throwing acid in that dudes eyes!

10+ Year Old Account

How about, "Maybe I shouldn't rape this woman, because it is wrong", or "Maybe I shouldn't throw acid in this woman's face because it is wrong"?

You can go one step further by taking a simple look at America's death row.
    How many of those individuals do you think were NOT aware that their actions could put them there?
    How many of them do you think gave a shit?

So that deterrent isn't really all that effective, is it, considering the number of people who couldn't care less about it.

Using extreme and barbaric actions as a 'deterrent' is not only counter-productive, but it breeds in society the wrong message.
    "If you can get away with something, it's okay, even if it's wrong. Just don't get caught."

I prefer my method; the message "don't do something wrong because it is wrong".

You are quite right.