Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mastery Holy Priest- How much do you have?

Reworded my post and question in hopes of achieving a better answer.
    As a holy priest, how much mastery do you have?
    Last edited by Zurii; 2011-05-20 at 10:33 PM.

Sorry for not having the answer you're looking for, but I'm pretty sure you won't find a base number everyone can agree on. From everything I've read or seen advised, the only numerical advice anyone gives (beyond "stack as much of <stat you want>") is gearing for one extra tick on HoTs (12.5% Haste raid buffed) and going everything Mastery afterwards.

I predict a few responses confirming that approach here as well.

Deleted
    There is no answer for the average priest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Druids are more cut and dry, stack haste to 917 and reforge the rest to mastery.

Priests are not built the same. You would get closer to the answer you seek by letting us know what your raid healing team includes. Druid, Sham, Pally...this will help others guide you, without knowing what buffs and spells will be used in your raid, you will end up with generic answers.

I try to have a nice balance of both Haste and Mastery, my current haste is about 9.96% which is where I'm keeping it and Mastery is sitting at 14.16. I seem to do really well with these numbers

Deleted
    Updated answer:
    as seen in my armory I have 1600 HST, 600 MST.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 1079 haste = 8.43%, keep in mind that I'm a goblin, and have 3/3 in darkness. So after that and raid buffed I'm sitting at around 18+%

Mastery is at 1504 for a rating of 16.39

15+ Year Old Account
    Unlike disc priests, you have a choice. You can stack mastery, you can stack haste, or you can keep a balance between the two. It all depends on your play style.

I tend to prefer haste over mastery given the choice, but I won't shy away from mastery items if they come along and are an upgrade over my current gear. (I also have a few non-spirit item with both stats for my healing gear for brute throughput).

I could include the numbers but it's rather pointless. It comes down to preference and playstyle. I tend to have better reflexes than most healers in my guild, my extra haste plays to that strength even more. When shit hits the fan i'm usually the first to land the quick heals, the other healers arrive a 1-1,5s later to top them off while I moved on to top up the next victims into the green zone. I like the option of blowing through my manabar in 20seconds at the end of a fight on soft enrage.

But again, that's just me. It's perfectly valid to stack mastery instead for some very solid ' bang for your buck ' type of healing, or balance the two (which i've begun to do a bit more myself lately as any additional haste kinda lost it's purpose)

In my raids.. we have a resto shammy, myself (holy priest), and Healadin.. should I focus on mastery or haste? right now I think I am around 930ish haste...

Quote Originally Posted by drakken2015 View Post
    In my raids.. we have a resto shammy, myself (holy priest), and Healadin.. should I focus on mastery or haste? right now I think I am around 930ish haste...
    Whatever seems to benefit you more. For instance, just try this:

Reforge all you can to Mastery and do a raid, and look at your HPS, and even more importantly, your Overheal.
    Then reforge everything to Haste, and do the same.

The outcome should tell you what is better. For my raid, it was haste (I also tend to raid with a Resto Shaman and a Holy Paladin most of the time).

Deleted
    For 10man I love HST, the HPS you can pull is nuts (19-20k spikes when needed).

I am a priest that uses both disc AND holy, so I try to keep a balance of both stats. I would much rather stay Holy, but my mage friend loves PI lol.

As a holy priest alot of ppl still argue haste however currently you will never see enough haste to really benefit from. Your best bet is see how your other healers play like Restoshaman A hits groups 1-2 and Resto druid hits group 2-3 so if you hit 4-5 you will snipe heals and get larger numbers. Currently im at 19.31 mastery rating or (2027) mastery. Considering in raid your Int(spellpower) will be your biggest throughput having larger hots after each heal is great allowing u to hit 1-2 prayers on a group and move on. Renew is rarely RARELY used currently as it doesnt heal enough and is too expensive (holy doesnt use innerwill) so even hitting the 12.5% mark is kind of pointless. Even on a fight like heroic alakir where you could argue haste being the best for lightning strikes your mastery will excel because your likely healing your own 3 man party and 2 other 3 man parties so any residual is going to factor higher than a mildly faster cast.

In all there is no amazing magic mastery to aim for personally i get as much as i can. Now im playing disc so even more so as it is indefinitely the best possible stat beyond sp.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Renew is rarely RARELY used currently as it doesnt heal enough and is too expensive (holy doesnt use innerwill) so even hitting the 12.5% mark is kind of pointless.
    ...Wut? No.

Inner Will is invaluable during progression/learning HM encounters, and even when downing them (which is the goal, right?) We recently killed HM Maloriak, and I ranked on healing. #1 spell = Renew, followed closely by CoH and my Echo. They won't let me post a link yet, but my priest is Aerix on Boulderfist, and our parse is on World of Logs from 5/19 if you're interested in seeing exactly what was cast and what other healers looked like.
    Obviously, you won't cast renew when there's frost tombs or the rare OH CRAP moment, but this fight requires TONS of movement and tons of AoE damage... and it isn't completely atypical as far as heroics go. (Atramedes is an obvious exception.. he was so easy we wondered if we were actually in hard mode, so.. inner fire for shorter fights)
    I was in Inner Will the entire time as well as the AoE Chakra, which, if you recall, adds 15% more healing to renew as well as all the other goodies you should be using on a regular basis (CoH, PoH, PoM). I received the heroic Jar from him, which may allow me to switch to Inner Fire more frequently, but if there's any chance of ooming when a heroic boss is at 2-10%... fail. This particular encounter runs around 9-10 minutes long. 15% more healing + 15% less mana cost + all the talents you have to take in Holy that affect Renew... If you're a holy priest and you're not casting Renew on at least a fairly regular basis with 12.5%+ haste, you're failing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lakimsa View Post
    ...Wut? No. [...]
    Milkshake86 bases his "HST sucks" from Sinestra25. Which ofcourse is not a valid argument and doesn't apply to anyone, anywhere in this context. He obviously have no experience from 10mans, otherwise he wouldn't constantly be saying that HST is shit and renew is NEVER EVER used. Same with Inner Will so I'm starting to doubt he actually plays a priest if he claims that Inner Will is never used as holy.

#35 on H.Halfus10 as holy with HST > MST should prove it's more than viable.

15+ Year Old Account
    I prefer to sit at 7.5% haste and stack mastery - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ndaru/advanced

currently at 18.1 mastery - and I don't have a single raid drop - mostly ZA/ZG gear, 2pc t11.

Viability is the argument efficiency and healing possible per cast...your argument of haste be viable is stupid we know its viable it isnt nearly as efficient as Mastery

The math is basically Haste=More Cast's per minute and Mastery is More heals per cast. so lets say we get 25 casts w/ 0 haste and they heal for 10k each for 250,000 healing now lets say we get a ton of haste and get a 2 seceond cast instead of 2.4 youd get about 300,000 healing in 60 seconds.

50,000 difference in amount of healing, not bad right. Now lets do the mastery math K, lets go w/ base mastery at 24% first 2405 healing over 6 seconds on every 10k heal! Thats nice not bad at all now in 60 seconds thats 62,500 additional healing. so around 25% haste will get you 300,000 healing and around BASE mastery will get you 312,500 healing. Now factor in Haste+base mastery you have 362,500 very nice.

Gearing Mastery> haste math!!!!! 50% additional is easy to attain currently at like 49% and im not in full bis or even close really. So right away 48% of 250k would be ? 120,000 ish Leading to 370k healing per minute.

Keep in mind this doesnt account for critical strikes procs or the variation of numbers or overhealing and assumes 100% uptime on healing over 1minute. Now it doesnt seem like much at 7,500 extra healing but that is MORE healing. Haste = More casts clearly from 25-30 possible casts is clearly more casting, clearly more Mana usage aswell. Factor in healing downtime because of mastery as small as it may be and amount of casts possible per minute you SHOULD be spending less mana.
    Efficiency goes to mastery aswell as possible healing per minute. So in the end it comes down to how you heal and how your raid takes dmg, but still in terms of other stuff
    Also your 4/13 heroic thats not bad but your overall knowledge is heavily limited to the easiest of heroic encounters.
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2011-05-22 at 10:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Viability is the argument efficiency and healing possible per cast...your argument of haste be viable is stupid we know its viable it isnt nearly as efficient as Mastery

Also your 4/13 heroic thats not bad but your overall knowledge is heavily limited to the easiest of heroic encounters.
    You have yet to prove that MST is more efficient than HST overall in both 10 and 25. You have yet to provide anything more than your opinion and your example of Sinestra25 which is a gimmick fight due to the buff. Saying things like "we know" and "is stupid" is not relevant to the discussion and should be left out.

Lets start easy, some basic maths comparing HST to MST
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post11494673