Disc - Need some help

I just got my priest to 85 and I have healed a few regular dungeons. . I havent tried healing heriocs yet because I feel that my gear isnt good enough yet. I go oom a lot. I do a lot of smite healing if there isnt too much damage but otherwise I use PWS, Penace & Greater Heal. I also always keep PoM up.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

My priest's armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary

I do know I have a lot of dps gear but cloth spirit gear never seems to drop for me.
    Last edited by aqthedruid; 2011-05-24 at 12:46 PM.

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

if you go oom a lot, why dont you pick talents that help you manage your mana better?

* if you insist on having smites spec, you can drop SoS and pick train of thoughts instead, you can also drop inspiration and pick veiled shadows.

* glyph of flash heal - why? do you use flash heal a lot? if so, then hey you know why you go oom a lot! you shouldnt be using this spell. glyph of prayer of healing would be so much better.
    * glyph of desperation - why? especially instead glyph of prayer of mending (since you wrote you use PoM) seems a kinda weird choice.

* gear - only 1,2k spirit? thats very low. i see you mentioned being unlucky on spirit drops, but why didnt you reforge any single of your dps pieces to spirit?
    * you dont have any enchant and you have empty gem socket (mantles), i assume you dont want to invest too much in lvl 333 gear, however there are some cheap enchants available, you might want to consider getting them

Deleted
    PoM is pretty bad, it's only usefull for moving really.

Try to gem, enchant and reforge your gear, you lack spirit. Being OOM is quite normal in Cataclysm, on higher gear levels it ofcourse falls a bit back, but live with it as a healer.

So short version: Get your gear sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by babylon View Post
    if you go oom a lot, why dont you pick talents that help you manage your mana better?

* if you insist on having smites spec, you can drop SoS and pick train of thoughts instead, you can also drop inspiration and pick veiled shadows.

* glyph of flash heal - why? do you use flash heal a lot? if so, then hey you know why you go oom a lot! you shouldnt be using this spell. glyph of prayer of healing would be so much better.
    * glyph of desperation - why? especially instead glyph of prayer of mending (since you wrote you use PoM) seems a kinda weird choice.

* gear - only 1,2k spirit? thats very low. i see you mentioned being unlucky on spirit drops, but why didnt you reforge any single of your dps pieces to spirit?
    * you dont have any enchant and you have empty gem socket (mantles), i assume you dont want to invest too much in lvl 333 gear, however there are some cheap enchants available, you might want to consider getting them
    I never flash heal. I havent changed the glyphs once Cata came out. And yes I am waiting for better gear till I gem/enchant it. Right now I am only dpsing heriocs.

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

Deleted
    Are you using PW:S so you always keep Rapture up as soon as it is ready? Put the points in Strength of Soul in Train of Thought instead.

Deleted
    Reforge all your gear so it has spirit. 1250 spirit is very low. Don't forget you get the spirit converted to hit as shadow anyway, so it's not a huge loss either way.

Get cheap skate enchants.
    30int on back is 6x dust, which should be pretty cheap.
    50haste on gloves is 4x dust+1 lesser cele
    50haste on boots is 2x dust+1 greater cele
    +15stats on chest is 2x lesser cele.

That will take you a long way if you decide to try out healing.

Last advice is just to replace the desperation glyph with prayer of mending glyph and stay in inner will as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Reforge all your gear so it has spirit. 1250 spirit is very low. Don't forget you get the spirit converted to hit as shadow anyway, so it's not a huge loss either way.

Get cheap skate enchants.
    30int on back is 6x dust, which should be pretty cheap.
    50haste on gloves is 4x dust+1 lesser cele
    50haste on boots is 2x dust+1 greater cele
    +15stats on chest is 2x lesser cele.

That will take you a long way if you decide to try out healing.

Last advice is just to replace the desperation glyph with prayer of mending glyph and stay in inner will as much as possible.
    Will do thanks.

Deleted
    my advices :

*going oom (even with bad stuff) is almost due to an over use of Flash Heal. STOP IT! Flash heal is a WTFTTIDICSH button (What The Fuck The Tank Is Dying I Cannot Shield Him/Her) if you Have to do more than 2 FH by encounter, you have to improve your reactivity, anticipation skill and Gameplay.
    * Heal (the simple one) IS A GOOD SPELL TO CAST! stop thinking it's lame slow and useless. It's your FILLER heal. you can spend all your fight spamming it without going oom. it can proc DA it s rarely an overheal, it reduces the weakened soul debuff by 4 sec. It's a must have. if your sure you won't over heal have no hesitation to replace it by a greater heal.
    * weakened soul should ALWAYS be on your tank because if not GO SHIELD IT.
    * use your inner will instead your inner fire. basicaly shield costing 15% less mana.... Awesome.
    * never stay without casting. if you have nothing to do go Heal the tank. DA is great for that.
    * have a regard on the fact that PoM a shield target will be useless as long as the target will be shield.
    * Penitence is your emergency heal and should be used as often as possible.
    * PoH is great to heal At least 4 people don't do it for less.
    * macro inner focus with FH and PoH.
    * Never forget that a weakened souled target is an amazing prior target for a regular Heal (4sec debuff removed)

my template advice for heroic and preraid : http://wowtal.com/#k=veN3nvAm.ala.priest.qO0LgU
    variant for more flexibility : move one point from veiled shadows OR empowered healing TO desperate prayer.

I am definitly NOT a full stuff heal : still half my items blue quality... but I rarely below 13K hps in raid 10. (i kicked some ass on nefarian and chogall by respecting those simple rules...) test it before complain^^
    Last edited by mmocef1a8dafc5; 2011-05-24 at 12:50 PM.

TBH from what iv played of disc in raids and heroics, evanjelacalism and attonement arent realyl worth the points.
    If you put the points into train of thaught and vieled shadows (1 min off your fiend) you will find it a much better benefit.
    basically i can keep a should on the MT, PoM him and then greater heal to proc agies (whilst using the greater heal you reduce the CD on your weakened soul and on your inner focus. Useing inner focus on CD will help with mana control and giving it a shorter CD is even better.
    i would reccomend the mending glyph (major) and for your prime i would change the flash to barrior (its a nice bonus from the glyph)
    With regards to spirit, i have very little spirit on my gear (i think my mana return is around 2000 MP5 which is significently lower than other healers) i go for int on gear, However i do have Core of ripeness. and tsunami which proberbly makes up for that xD
    i was basically taught to prio int, mastery, crit and it works fine for me that way. i dont generally run oom (cleared 11 bosses as my offspec disc in raids).
    obviously replace the hit on your gear asap (wasted stat) :P
    with the healing breakdown, i never use heal. its a waste of time. your much better using greater heal for the extra bonuses you get. also bigger agies (which means you can stop healing for a time also) i also never use flash heal (ok maybe in an ultimate oh shit moment) but for the mana cost its just a burner

Quote Originally Posted by Oasy View Post
    my advices :

*going oom (even with bad stuff) is almost due to an over use of Flash Heal. STOP IT! Flash heal is a WTFTTIDICSH button (What The Fuck The Tank Is Dying I Cannot Shield Him/Her) if you Have to do more than 2 FH by encounter, you have to improve your reactivity, anticipation skill and Gameplay.
    * Heal (the simple one) IS A GOOD SPELL TO CAST! stop thinking it's lame slow and useless. It's your FILLER heal. you can spend all your fight spamming it without going oom. it can proc DA it s rarely an overheal, it reduces the weakened soul debuff by 4 sec. It's a must have. if your sure you won't over heal have no hesitation to replace it by a greater heal.
    * weakened soul should ALWAYS be on your tank because if not GO SHIELD IT.
    * use your inner will instead your inner fire. basicaly shield costing 15% less mana.... Awesome.
    * never stay without casting. if you have nothing to do go Heal the tank. DA is great for that.
    * have a regard on the fact that PoM a shield target will be useless as long as the target will be shield.
    * Penitence is your emergency heal and should be used as often as possible.
    * PoH is great to heal At least 4 people don't do it for less.
    * macro inner focus with FH and PoH.
    * Never forget that a weakened souled target is an amazing prior target for a regular Heal (4sec debuff removed)
    I never use flash heal if you read the first post.

I do a lot of smite healing if there isnt too much damage but otherwise I use PWS, Penace & Greater Heal. I also always keep PoM up.

Deleted
    keeping the best shield uptime on some targetted player (tanks exemple given...) requires some practice. a 2 or 3 sec time with a tank with no weakened soul is a huge loss of heal ...

---------- Post added 2011-05-24 at 02:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aqthedruid View Post
    I never use flash heal if you read the first post.

I do a lot of smite healing if there isnt too much damage but otherwise I use PWS, Penace & Greater Heal. I also always keep PoM up.
    Allright I never told you were doing all wrong ^^ Imho the attonement spec is not easy at all especially with a low gear stuff. replace smite by heal and you will see how good is it to reduce weakened soul by 4sec instead of a 8k damage. and a random 9K heal.

I did edit my last post to propose you an exemple of template you should try.
    Last edited by mmocef1a8dafc5; 2011-05-24 at 12:58 PM.

Besides what others have mentioned, in my opinion i would say you should go with a SoS spec and drop the Smite spec for now until you have better gear, i feel the Smite healing spec scales more with gear than an SoS spec, also generally Disc already scales with gear harshly when compared to Holy or Resto Druids. Just an idea until u can get some better items.