Best dps spec for rogue ?

Hey guys, just dinged 85 and I wonder what's the best dps spec for rogues atm, and what poisons to use and if you can please tell me rot to, thanks!
    It's not easy when it's hard.

Assassination and Combat are both viable, Sub has a complex rotation that is harder to maintain but can put out the same amount of deeps in theory.

I like assassination, its mindless. Instant on MH, Deadly on Offhand,(corrected after zhinkis posted below, he is right, I was confused and changed it) Slow dagger(1.8) in MH, fast dagger(1.4) in Offhand. Stealth in, open with garrote, rupture with the one combo point, if you get a relentless strikes proc(free combo point when using a finisher), slice and dice. Mutilate to 4-5 combo points, envenom, this will refresh SND(slice and dice), just keep rupture ticking on the target and keep using envenom with 4-5 combo points.
    Last edited by kabrai; 2011-06-11 at 05:41 PM.

Instant on MH and deadly on OH...
    Instant is on a ppm deadly i not therefore instant will procc the same amount of times on the MH as on the OH but deadly will procc more on a fast OH resulting in more instant proccs.

And also 5 cp envenoms <35% using backstab to gain cps.
    Last edited by Zhinkis; 2011-06-11 at 05:32 PM.

Combat can basically ignore Rupture and Revealing strikes in their rotations and pull almost the same dps rotation.
    So Combat rogues are the easiest, but can be complicated for more deeps.

Assassination Is awesome if you like poisons and bleeds. It can pull some hefty dps.

Sub is... viable, yes. But If you can pull off a Sub spec and dps over the other specs, you are pro as hell. It will be more viable when 4.2 hits I bet, with the buff to Hemo damage. We'll see then.
    I really hope they fix it, since it's a spec based on finishers and Backstab, which is rather unique.

TL;DR: Go Assassination if you like standing still more and rip people to shreds with daggers and poisons. Go Combat if you want to run around like a jerk, waving Swords/Maces/Fists. Go Sub if you are goddamn pro.
    Last edited by Necronium; 2011-06-12 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Failspelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

To be honest assassination, but it seem in Firelands, combat rogues pulling a lot of DPS imo on certain fights. It really depends on the fight.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both specs are viable as it is, depends on that current fight as it's been stated

Assassination has some complexities with watching timers.

Combat is mindless and easy

Sub is the most complex

It comes down to playstyle not which one is the best because all 3 specs are amazing. Rogues are something no one else can claim to be, sustained dps. All other DPS classes (mostly) are burst and rely on cooldowns/procs for that burst. Rogues just rip things up and stay that high on the meter for the whole fight.

Assassination guide stickied at the top by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzy View Post
    Assassination has some complexities with watching timers.

Combat is mindless and easy

Sub is the most complex

It comes down to playstyle not which one is the best because all 3 specs are amazing. Rogues are something no one else can claim to be, sustained dps. All other DPS classes (mostly) are burst and rely on cooldowns/procs for that burst. Rogues just rip things up and stay that high on the meter for the whole fight.

Assassination guide stickied at the top by the way.
    What? 1. Rogues, at least in heroic mode, are not topping on dps. This is due to a lot of target switching which kills rogues dps, especially assassination.

Tier 11 assassination is pretty much best. For upcoming firelands, expect combat to be the go 2 spec.

Overall, play the spec best suited for the fight.

Can't find myself ever going back to combat after switching to Mut regardless of who's infront. I loved combat back in ICC but then once i got the feel for Mut it felt just my Rogue like to me.

Random 2 cents in the convo lol

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    For all intents and purposes. In full 372 BiS gear. Combat > Assassination > Subtlety. All of the specs are theoretically within 700 dps of eachother at max potential dps.

In full 359 BiS gear. Assassination > combat > Subtlety. All of the spec are theoretically within 400 dps of eachother at max potential dps.

In pre raid 346 BiS gear. See above for 359 BiS gear.

In actual practice. Assassination will indeed outperform Combat in purely single target situations or add fights in which you cannot cleave. Combat when played correctly, will always outperform Assassination in fights which you have a large % of uptime on your blade flurry. And subtlety will always underperform compared to the other 2 specs, do to the impracticality of the spec and it's straightforward yet complicated in practice type of priority system.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftstryder View Post
    Can't find myself ever going back to combat after switching to Mut regardless of who's infront. I loved combat back in ICC but then once i got the feel for Mut it felt just my Rogue like to me.

Random 2 cents in the convo lol
    If you think that then your guild will lost a lot of DPS. When my guild was testing on PTR, we had assassination vs. combat and guess who won? Assassination pulled 31k DPS while combat pulled 51k. As its stated, it really depends on the fight and what is most valuable DPS to the guild.

Combat because it actually has good cds. Assassination you just stand there pooling energy to 50 with two of the most boring cool downs known to man. If you can use your revealing strikes correctly you can do significantly more dmg. Problem is doing it right....fortunately I have a year of feral dps in my skill set so I have gotten quite good at it.

Go with what spec you enjoy the most. I love KS so I'm combat.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Assassination is better than combat on all fights except; Magmaw and Halfus.

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    Combat because it actually has good cds. Assassination you just stand there pooling energy to 50 with two of the most boring cool downs known to man. If you can use your revealing strikes correctly you can do significantly more dmg. Problem is doing it right....fortunately I have a year of feral dps in my skill set so I have gotten quite good at it.

Go with what spec you enjoy the most. I love KS so I'm combat.
    Good cd's? Killing spree which can get you killed and is horrible dmg makes up about 3% of your dmg. Or Adrenaline Rush which will make you energy cap so you can't even get max dps from it and will only get worse with more haste in the next tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxis86 View Post
    For all intents and purposes. In full 372 BiS gear. Combat > Assassination > Subtlety. All of the specs are theoretically within 700 dps of eachother at max potential dps.
    It is about that range but its still Assassination > combat > Subtlety in 372 sims and holds that in practice on non cleave as you said.
    the 4.2 sims show Assassination > Subtlety > combat but all still very close.
    Sub's rotation isn't really that bad and it dmg loss on target swaps is the lowest of all the specs and it will probably start to out scale the other 2 at some point unless more changes are made. All and all the specs are about the same single target dps in right hands.
    Last edited by Wow; 2011-06-12 at 02:41 PM.

It depends on your situation/playstyle really. In average-level raiding, you can get by with any of the 3 specs, but when you get into higher end raiding, you will be speccing for the encounter on progress (Combat on Magmaw, Mutilate on Council, Sub on Nefarian, Combat on Cho'gall etc.) anyway.

Subtlety, as people have said, is capable of similar damage but is harder. I don't think any competent Rogue would have trouble with the rotation (I, an average-at-best Rogue managed it), but it's rarely optimal. There are a couple of fights where it makes good use of fight mechanics, though.

@wow, Subtlety's target switching is arguably the best of the 3 specs, actually, with Mutilate having the worst target switching. Subtlety can simply Redirect-Rupture and then Shadow Dance for insane burst in situations like Cho'gall Adherents. In situations where you will be target switching more than Redirect allows, slap on your Hemo glyph and go to town without Rupture - Fights like Omnotron Heroic (I don't know about normal, can't remember how long between adds), Cho'gall heroic and Sinestra come to mind.

Combat is near equal, if not better than Subtlety when Redirect is available, but in any situation where Redirect isn't available or burst on an add is needed (which is most situations in heroic encounters), Subtlety has the advantage.

Deleted
    Assassination--Mutilate. I have heard rumours about Assassination apparently it cracks out a formidable amount of DPS as for me i go combat do about 11k, im not to hot on PvE and im not fully geared for Hit etc and my item level is still in the 340's. My most comfortable spec is Sub. Im pared with Frost Mage in PvP i usually hit around 400k damage in an arena match.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogueslol View Post
    If you think that then your guild will lost a lot of DPS. When my guild was testing on PTR, we had assassination vs. combat and guess who won? Assassination pulled 31k DPS while combat pulled 51k. As its stated, it really depends on the fight and what is most valuable DPS to the guild.
    Meh I aint going for world firsts lol doesn't phase me too much. Aslong as im pulling my own weight in the chosen spec then good enough for me.