World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (PC) Sales 3.64M
    World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (PC) 6.94 M
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC) 7.42M
    World of Warcraft (PC) 11.99 M

So looking at the sale numbers this means

4.57M Are still playing World of Warcraft
    0.48M Are still playing The Burning Crusade
    3.3M Are still playing Wrath of the Lich King

Also the numbers are for copies sold. So it does not count people that quit or were banned and in all fairness Cataclysm was not released in the eastern markets yet.

But The numbers do not add up do they?

Deleted
    I'm guessing that doesn't count blizzard store copies sold, neither does it include every single store selling the game in the world. That basically means it's numbers pulled out their ass.

Cata isn't out in China. They also pay for it differently

Deleted
    It doesn't count the copies sold on-line directly from Blizzards's page from what i know.

Deleted
    not all wow subscribers have the latest expansion.

that being said unless taking all sources of the expansions into account, numbers don't really matter

you should know that is 12M Paying costumers, it had some rules, they were published in their shareholders report.

go look it up. it is certainly not 12 million players that play wow at this moment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post

Oh look, it's this thread again!

15+ Year Old Account
    First of all Blizzard is not legally able to lie about the number of subscriptions, nor would they. They beat the next best thing by leaps and bounds, and them lying would only cause MAJOR backlash.

Second, Blizzard's subscription services takes into account certain things (and is internal data, not external), which VGCHartz does not.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Deleted
    From their site
    All sales estimates on VGChartz are arrived at via a number of proprietrary and ever-developing methods:

• Passively polling end users to find out what games they are currently purchasing and playing
    • Polling retail partners to find out what games and hardware they are selling
    • Using statistical trend fitting and historical data for similar games
    • Studying resell prices to determine consumer demand and inventory levels
    • Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel
    Its sophisticated guesswork, but still just estimated figures. Considering their total sales for Cataclysm are less than the 4.7 million copies sold in the first month announced by Blizzard, I'm a bit skeptical. Also I wonder if they're able to track the digital download sales properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane2 View Post
    From their site

Its sophisticated guesswork, but still just estimated figures. Considering their total sales for Cataclysm are less than the 4.7 million copies sold in the first month announced by Blizzard, I'm a bit skeptical. Also I wonder if they're able to track the digital download sales properly.
    Idk I did ask on the wow forums but it was deleted in about 2 mins witch is not surprising your not allowed to question the all might blizzard over there
    Last edited by bubblehearth; 2011-06-16 at 07:47 PM.

Deleted
    Random numbers are random. Don't believe everything some people tell you trying to bash WoW through a backdoor.

Deleted
    These threads are doomed from the start. Even if you posted the latest accounts of Activision-Blizzard the fan boys would scream blue murder and call you a liar :P All of this WoW is dying stuff is BS, Myself and most people on my realm/s know alot of people have stopped playing but it would still take years of decline to actually be true.

Hey, it's this thread again. The last one ended when people pointed out to the OP that Cataclysm was available for digital distribution for everyone and so counting the box sales is really, really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    These threads are doomed from the start. Even if you posted the latest accounts of Activision-Blizzard the fan boys would scream blue murder and call you a liar :P All of this WoW is dying stuff is BS, Myself and most people on my realm/s know alot of people have stopped playing but it would still take years of decline to actually be true.
    Ah, the wonderful "If anyone disagrees with me it's because they are a fan boy" argument.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

There is also a substantial amount of players who have many low level characters but have never made it to 60+ and have no need for TBC

Online sales were announced to have been a record high. Exact numbers for online sales have also never been released. Thus any solid numbers you see are for boxed copies only, which were a minimum of sales.

Deleted
    Wait, counting boxes on the age of digital download? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Hey, it's this thread again. The last one ended when people pointed out to the OP that Cataclysm was available for digital distribution for everyone and so counting the box sales is really, really stupid.

Ah, the wonderful "If anyone disagrees with me it's because they are a fan boy" argument.
    But

Hmmmm no digital distribution than

Quote Originally Posted by bubblehearth View Post
    But

Hmmmm no digital distribution than
    ...yes, there was.

Download trial.

Upgrade trial.

Profit.

And that's if you are assuming every player always buys every expansion.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, this thread again. You're using bad/incomplete data, WoW isn't dying- it's just getting older.
    Be reasonable. You might be right, you could be wrong, but either way most people won't change their minds if you keep shouting at them.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."