Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Books] Sci-fi/fantasy book suggestions

Hello every1! i recently decided to use my ability to read for pleasure. i recently read dean koontz prodigal son, this is the first book ive read in over 6 years! I was interested in finding other books to read in my leisure time. you guys have any suggestions of books that are around that reading level and are skim around that genre?

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 06:27 PM ----------

can a moderator move this to the appropriate topic, i didnt mean to post it here in this topic

Deleted
    Check out the Dragonlance books.

10+ Year Old Account
    for fantasy read HP Lovecraft stories.
    for Sci-Fi read HG Wells novels.

Best stories ever written in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much anything written by Robert Heinlein, but Stranger in a Strange Land and Time Enough for Love being two of my favorites.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

The Legend of Huma...Great start off book for the Dragonlance Collection

Any of the Drizz't Do'Urden series written by R.A. Salvatore for Forgotten Realms....
    Hands down best action/fight sequence writer I have found!
    He also wrote the adaptation of Starwars Episode II novel...another must read

Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin

The first book of the series has been turned in to an HBO show called Game of Thrones. Absolutely fantastic book series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from the ones already mentioned, I suggest you take a look at some of Robin Hobb's work. I can't put the finger on it, but SOMETHING in those books keeps me coming back...
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Way of the Peaceful Warrior and Journeys of Socrates by Dan Millman are good metaphysical books.

As far as fantasy, I would have to go with Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. I have read every single one of her books, best fantasy writer ever imo.

Deleted
    The Discworld
    The Wheel of Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    Check out the Dragonlance books.
    THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ More times than you can even imagine do I recommend these books.

The proper order to read these is as follows:

Dragonlance Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning
    Dragonlance Legends (Twins Trilogy): Time of the Twins, War of the Twins, Test of the Twins
    Dragonlance Lost Chronicles: Dragons of Dwarven Depths, Dragons of Highlord Skies, Dragons of the Hourglass Mage
    Dragonlance: The Second Generation, Dragons of Summer Flame
    Dragonlance The War of Souls: Dragons of a Fallen Sun, Dragons of a Lost Star, Dragons of a Vanished Moon

I'm currently in the process of acquiring that last trilogy, but have read all of the others listed. There's plenty more novels (and by plenty, I mean over 120 novels) in the Dragonlance Series, and I haven't figured out the precise order for those I'm not ready to read, but that's what I've got. These are some of the best books I've ever read, if not THE best, so check them out.

-Don

The Ender saga (as well as the parallel story, in the Ender's Shadow saga). I personally enjoyed all of Orson Scott Card's works.
    The Lord of the Rings, of course (difficult to start, though).

If you do Dragonlance, avoid most of the books not written by Hickman/Weis. They're just...blah.

Another great series is Raymond Feist's books. Riftwar, Demonwar, Serpentwar, etc cycles. Starts at the Riftwar cycle, many books and one very good overarching story. A really great read and I really recommend them.
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    The Ender saga (as well as the parallel story, in the Ender's Shadow saga). I personally enjoyed all of Orson Scott Card's works.
    The Lord of the Rings, of course (difficult to start, though).
    This, x100. The series (starting with Ender's Game) is among the best executed sci-fi stories ever written.

Further suggestions...

I know he's not standard sci-fi, but Kurt Vonnegut is great. I'd start with Slaughterhouse-5.

If you never have, the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams is a must read.

Check out Neil Gaiman as well. Start with Neverwhere, probably.

Fantasy: "A Song of Ice and Fire"
    Sci-Fi -"Dune" or "House of Leaves" (HoL isn't really that scifi, but its the craziest fucking book ive ever read)

Deleted
    Everything written by Ursula Leguin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayedra View Post
    Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin

The first book of the series has been turned in to an HBO show called Game of Thrones. Absolutely fantastic book series.

This ^

The books are brilliant,for me they are by far the best fantasy books out there.

The T.V series A Game of Thrones is based on the first novel and is also a must watch

10+ Year Old Account
    Check out Terry Brooks. Great author of a two different series, actually 3, but he joined two together.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

Quote Originally Posted by Sithiwa View Post
    The T.V series A Game of Thrones is based on the first novel and is also a must watch
    Are they not making a second season for the second book?

15+ Year Old Account
    I liked Starcraft Ghost: Nova
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

-The first 3 books of Song of Fire and Ice are good.The 4. is trash(I like Samwell and Arya but I couldnt care less about all the other trash characters in that boring book...the lack of Jon Snow and Tyrion is depressing).

-Wheel of Time series from Robert Jordan

-The Farseer and the Tawny Man trilogy from Robin Hobb

-Raymond E. Feist books are all good but start with the Empire trilogy,it is awesome

--I can recommend the first 10-12 Drizzt books from R. A. Salvatore too but later it gets boring because Drizzt becomes the Chuck Norris of the Forgotten Realms

-Michael Moorcock:all the Corum books
    -The Knight of the Swords
    -The Queen of the Swords
    -The King of the Swords
    -The Bull and the Spear
    -The Oak and the Ram
    -The Sword and the Stallion

-Tolkien:The lord of the rings 1-3,The Hobbit,

-Robert Weinberg(Vampire the Masquerade)
    Bloodwar
    Unholy Allies
    The Unbeholden

Scifi:

-L. Ron Hubbard:Battlefield Earth(the books are a lot better than that trash movie with Jon Travolta)

-Robin Cook:Invasion

- Frank Herbert:
    Dune
    Dune Messiah
    Children Of Dune
    God Emperor Of Dune
    Heretics Of Dune
    Chapterhouse: Dune
    Last edited by exstarcraftfan; 2011-06-26 at 11:10 PM.