Poll: Why has Rock and Metal been replaced by Rap and Pop?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Metal is the only music worth listening to. Brain dead idiots who think its cool to listen to hip hop and rap and refuse to listen to metal because " metal is full of screaming and cant understand what they say". Bloody stereo typical morons. Hell half the rap music i have heard you cant understand a word they are saying either.

Seriously. If you like it, you like it. But I don't, and it's not because I think it's "full of screaming and cant understand what they say".
    Nor do I listen to hip hop 'because I think it's cool'; I'm capable of making my own decisions, and I think hip hop sounds better than metal.
    You're free to disagree, and that's your right. But that's how I feel about it, and to be quite honest, belittling someone based on a value assessment is stupid.
    It's like calling people "brain dead idiots" because they like blue instead of red.

That's not to say that I love hip hop, either. I just like it more than metal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathas View Post
    I am a Hardcore punk fan, but I like Hip hop. I like Reggae, i like ska. I like classical and soundtrack. Why do people have to be close minded with their individualistic tastes? Does it really matter? Music is music, none is scientifically better then the other, no matter people's say.
    I never said that I did indeed hate any genre, infact i like many different types of music - classical, rock, blues, metal, reggae, and old school rap. But I'm merely suggesting that one overtakes another due to what you would call 'fads' or a different generation

---------- Post added 2011-07-01 at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gd888 View Post
    Because people who listen to metal/rock are generally annoying douchebags who have no respect for anything else. they don't do their music justice.

can't wait until metal dies completely, it's just terrible music and I laugh when people try to stand up for it.
    1. That is your completely biased opinion
    2. That is a stereotype, not all rockers are douchebags you know?
    3. Does that mean all rappers are cocaine addicts?

Your opinion is your opinion but don't classify all rockers and people who listen to metal as intolerant and selfish people

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said that I did indeed hate any genre, infact i like many different types of music - classical, rock, blues, metal, reggae, and old school rap. But I'm merely suggesting that one overtakes another due to what you would call 'fads' or a different generation
    Oh I never did direct that specifically towards you, but the animosity still is alive with several people on thread. Regarding their music or others.

I don't know about rap at all but the entire point of pop is to appeal to the general population. No matter how much you hate pop songs you have to admit A LOT of pop songs are insanely catchy. I personally dislike popular music overall (lol hipster) but Cooler Than Me by Mike Posner just got to me. I love that song almost as much as Stairway to Heaven (BURN THE WITCH!)

As an avid listener of both hip hop and metal, I think you're missing the point. Walk up to a random person on the street and ask them what they thought of CunninLynguists' newest album. I GUARANTEE they will have no idea who you're talking about. It's sad, really:

Incredible lyricism about dreaming, amazing beat, great overall sound and the female vocals are beautiful. Count the number of times this gets radio time. The correct answer would be zero. Now go ahead and youtube anything by Lil Wayne -- you'll find stupid lyrics about how awesome he is, some stupid, monotonous beat and no talent whatsoever, yet you'll also find multiple millions of youtube views.

That's the point. It's not that Rap and Pop are somehow more approachable to the general public, it's that the shitty stuff in the genre sticks out like a sore thumb and for some fucking reason people actually like it. You could also say the same for the thousands of generic metalcore/deathcore bands out there that don't write anything original either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magellanmini View Post
    All opinions are biased. That's why they're opinions, and not facts.
    What a silly thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Magellanmini View Post
    2. That is a stereotype, not all rockers are douchebags you know?
    3. Does that mean all rappers are cocaine addicts?

Your opinion is your opinion but don't classify all rockers and people who listen to metal as intolerant and selfish people
    Cocaine is more of a rock drug, most rappers just smoke weed.

But yeah, I've never met a metalhead irl or on the internet who wasn't a complete piece of shit. probably some of the most arrogant and bullheaded people on the planet from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    its to gritty. people dont want to dress in ACDC shirts and wear long shorts with metal zipper and chains
    I don't want to dress like a thug, does that mean I should not listen to rap? Generalisations are bad, m'kay.

Tbh, rap is not really making waves at the moment. Rap had it's moments in the early 90s. What's produced today is some club inspired fast food music, if you can call it music. Consume, excrete, rinse and repeat. I dunno if it gets any better from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Howard View Post
    You're missing an option of "it's better."
    Thats your opinion not the OP....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    I don't want to dress like a thug, does that mean I should not listen to rap? Generalisations are bad, m'kay.

Tbh, rap is not really making waves at the moment. Rap had it's moments in the early 90s. What's produced today is some club inspired fast food music, if you can call it music. Consume, excrete, rinse and repeat. I dunno if it gets any better from here.
    I enjoy rap, i enjoy rock, i enjoy jazz. i where Penguin polo shirts with white khaki shorts to go to work. Rappers dont dress like thugs most of them have more money than you will make forever

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people who listen to metal/rock are generally annoying douchebags who have no respect for anything else. they don't do their music justice.

can't wait until metal dies completely, it's just terrible music and I laugh when people try to stand up for it.
    In my mind, you are ignorant and your opinion doesn't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stallker View Post
    In my mind, you are ignorant and your opinion doesn't matter.
    doesnt that make you ignorant and apathetic

10+ Year Old Account
    Cocaine is more of a rock drug, most rappers just smoke weed.

But yeah, I've never met a metalhead irl or on the internet who wasn't a complete piece of shit. probably some of the most arrogant and bullheaded people on the planet from what I've seen.
    Well, then you should look in the mirror more often.

Also, I wouldn't call today's music pop/rap I would consider it all pop.
    Last edited by Jedistene; 2011-07-01 at 10:01 PM.

I would contend that neither is more popular than the other beyond which particular genre is being foisted into the limelight by the record companies. There have been many times throughout history where this or that great song or band has emerged, and we know of them now and respect them, but went unrecognized in their own time. Our own biases also color our perceptions of what is "most popular" at any one time. You mention rock being very popular in the 80s, but New Edition was just as big as most of the major rock groups playing at the time; and now, while it appears that various pop or rock groups are leading the wave, groups like Tool, the Chilis, Modest Mouse, etc... can fill a stage at any time, anywhere. Gaga might be huge, but no bigger than Madonna was.

History is colored by the eye of the beholder, and great musicians can appear in all shades. Kanye, Leto, Maynard, Mos Def, Mayer, Flowers, Timbaland... the list of current artists in all genres who can blow minds with great lyrics is just as potent as the 80s... Stipe, Brown, Hetfield, Little Mikey, Gore...

P.S. Hot beat, Badpaladin... I went and found a copy as soon as I listened to it, thanks for the referral. The song reminds me of downtempo groups like Thievery Corp., sort of that chill out, deep thought music.
    Last edited by Lyricist; 2011-07-01 at 10:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    doesnt that make you ignorant and apathetic
    Nope. Genarally calling people douchebags because they are listening other kind of music that he doesn't like is ignorance my friend.

Pretty much for the same reason you don't enjoy Motown and Reggae to the same degree that your parents did, and the same reason they don't like country and folk songs like their parents did.

Quote Originally Posted by Stallker View Post
    Nope. Genarally calling people douchebags because they are listening other kind of music that he doesn't like is ignorance my friend.
    When did I say they're douchebags BECAUSE they listen to metal? I just said most metalheads are douchebags, doesn't mean metal turns you into a douchebag. It just seems to attract douchebags for some reason.

get over it.

The music industry nowadays is just awful
    The pop/electronic/dance/rap stuff is just crap, and its all the same

Because most of the metal today is shitty gutteral growling that you can't make a word out of, how can people even like that?
    Asdfgh