Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    For desert eat Dark Choc. It actually has health benefits especially in women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Entourage View Post
    Truth.

Also, I strongly suggest picking one day of the week where you can go off of your diet. That is the best way to stick to a diet, allow yourself something unhealthy once a week. That way you wont go crazy from quitting bad foods cold turkey. Pick one day a week, and have one thing that is off your diet, and keep every thing in moderation.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Entourage View Post
    If you are gonna eat chocolate (small quantities once in a while can be helpful), indeed eat dark one, BUT NEVER EVER AS A DESSERT!! desserts are to be avoided, completely. CHydrates at the end of the lunch (especially ones with a high glycemic index -like glucose-) stimulate the overproduction of insulin which translates in an increase of fat that gets storaged in your adipocytes. Moreover, in obese patiens this increases the risk of diabete.

Quote Originally Posted by Robula View Post
    The lack of exercise is not my you are obese. The likely cause is unless you have a particular illness is your diet. What you are eating and how much and often you are eating.

For me personally; I eat healthily, I rarely ever get takeaway/fastfood and I have a varied meal every night. I have two meals a day, one at lunch and one in the evening. During the weekends I sometimes only have the evening meal every day. I never force myself to finish my plate, when I'm full I know enough is enough.
    Spreading you calorie intake over the day is much better for you than having 1 or 2 meals, your body will burn calories at a much more sensible rate which ends up in loosing more weight and not having problems of periods of lethargy.

However, Robula does make an important point about stopping when you are full. Most people are brought up being taught that they should clear their plate, this instills in people the idea that leaving food on a plate is bad. Ideally you should only have enough food on the plate to fill you up but that can be hard to do. Leaving food on a plate is worse than overeating so just keep reminding yourself of that.

Eat a meal slowly, take your time between mouthfuls, it takes a while for you to register that you are full so eating too quickly will mean you eat too much. If you find that you don't feel full after a meal but then are uncomfortably full about half hour later you can eat a boiled egg half hour before your meal to kick-start the whole process and you should more accurately know when you are full. Over time you will just know when you have eaten enough and can cut the boiled egg out of your diet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I may look into getting a Gym Membership at my local gym.
    Hey there.

My BMI is 47.27, very very high. I started working out a month ago, 5 days a week. It's very hard in the start, but you really gotta make sure that you minimize your calorie intake, it gives you more energy. Make sure you eat a solid breakfast before you go, if you are just a slight bit hungry while working out, you won't get the most of it. Make sure to snack in between, healthy snacks. Fruit, müsli bars, vegetables ( I usually make a bowl with carrots and cucumbers ). Try to eat some nuts together with fat free yogurt in the morning, bananas are very good too. As mentioned above, it really starts with eating healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Hey everyone, at the moment.. I am obese. My BMI = 38.4. Obesity = 30 or higher.

Now, as it stands right now.. I barely have ANY energy. I assume this is because I DO NOT exercise .. At all.
    I want to change that, so.. Here I am.

My question, is it okay to start off small exercising? I tried doing 20 Jumping-Jacks and 5 Push-ups, after that.. I was already out of breath.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me
    Stop eating shit and start exercising, it's that easy in a nut shell. You can start by just doing 30min walks or so outside. Move to running and other kind of exercising later.

---------- Post added 2011-07-06 at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nørf View Post
    Hey there.

My BMI is 47.27, very very high. I started working out a month ago, 5 days a week. It's very hard in the start, but you really gotta make sure that you minimize your calorie intake, it gives you more energy. Make sure you eat a solid breakfast before you go, if you are just a slight bit hungry while working out, you won't get the most of it. Make sure to snack in between, healthy snacks. Fruit, müsli bars, vegetables ( I usually make a bowl with carrots and cucumbers ). Try to eat some nuts together with fat free yogurt in the morning, bananas are very good too. As mentioned above, it really starts with eating healthier.
    Low carb diet has worked for ton of people as well. I'd recommend that if you prefer meat to vegetables.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can only lose weight in a caloric deficit. That is burning more calories a day then you consume. Your BMR or basal metabolic rate is basically the amount of calories your body must intake to maintain its current weight, too lose weight it is ideal to be about 500 calories below your BMR. Don't go too far under or your body will go into starvation mode and prevent you from losing weight. Go to http://www.bmrcalculator.org/ and calculate your BMR, look at the chart too see how many calories you should be eating to maintain your weight at a certain level of exercise per week and reduce that number by 500 calories. At this rate if you are dedicated with both your exercise and diet you will be losing about 1 pound per week or more.

Also forget about BMI it's quite innaccurate, I'm a bodybuilder at 10% body fat so by no means "fat" and according to BMI i'm in the overweight category.

Also I forgot, you will want to have atleast 5-8 small meals spread evenly throughout the day, this way you are constantly disgesting and because of this your metabolic rate is always at its highest so you'll be burning as many calories as possible.
    Last edited by Abominator; 2011-07-06 at 11:11 AM.

Firstly those uncouth individuals who have put negative comments you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I know where you are coming from I too have a high BMI and have lost 30Kgs so far and it has been hard.

From my experience it wasn’t just a simple case of eating too much and being greedy I was comfort eating I went to counselling to help me understand why I comfort ate and deal with the emotional side of things, I was also suffering from server depression, it may be a good idea to first visit your GP and discuss any issues with them.

As for changing your diet I personally found it better for me to east small portions but often to keep my blood sugar at a constant level.
    Instead of having bottles of coke, crisp, chocolate, cookies swap these food for fruit, nuts, low calorie options, homemade popcorn none of the sugar coated rubbish, yogurts. You don’t need to cut every single thing out of your diet it’s all about moderation.

When it comes to exercise start off small if you try and do an hour of running, weight you will do more harm than good at the start as your body just isn’t use to doing that. The most important thing when it comes to exercise it find something you enjoy doing take it from me because if you enjoy doing it you will go back again and again. I hate gyms, weights, running its boring as hell but I love dancing so I start going to zumba classes as well as street dance classes. I also have an Xbox 360 and bought the zumba fitness game which is awesome for doing 30 mines at home.

I wish you all the best in achieving your weight loss goals, it’s not easy don’t beat yourself up if one day it all goes out the window happened to me at the weekend went to a BBQ had lots to drink and eat .

Deleted
    And moving away from the pc and actualy go do something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Stop eating shit and start exercising, it's that easy in a nut shell. You can start by just doing 30min walks or so outside. Move to running and other kind of exercising later.

---------- Post added 2011-07-06 at 02:01 PM ----------

Low carb diet has worked for ton of people as well. I'd recommend that if you prefer meat to vegetables.
    +1

Eat less carbs(pasta, potatoes, rice, bread) & sugar. Get the energy you need from fat. Use full-fat products and don't forget the vegetables!
    Last edited by mmoc7089bdf25d; 2011-07-06 at 11:20 AM.

Get used to the term "broscience" a lot. Most people go by here-say when it comes to weight loss, and there are a LOT of myths surrounding it.

Myth: Eating 6 meals a day is good for you.
    This is false. 1800 calories, is 1800 calories. Splitting it up into 6 different meals during the day isn't going to make anything burn any faster. It will only lighten the load in your stomach during training. The truth behind the myth is is that your body secretes a chemical called Ghrelin. It's duty is to tell your body when you're hungry and aids in digestion. Somebody thought, the more you have ghrelin in your system, the more calories you'll burn. Wrong. 1000 calories, is 1000 calories, no matter how often, or when you eat. (Even before bedtime. Many nutrionists have said that eating before bedtime is bad, but ONLY based on the fact that the average late eater intakes 250 more calories a day than an early eater.)

Myth: Diet Soda is so much healthier.
    Wrong. Studies have shown that habitual drinkers of diet soda, on average, have a 40% larger waistline than regular soda drinkers. Think about it. You're drinking something that is incredibly sweet, yet has zero calories. When the soda touches your tongue, your brain is going "LOTS OF CALORIES INCOMING!", and the diet never delivers. You WILL overeat because your body has pumped a lot of chemicals (like Ghrelin) into your system and it's wanting fuel to burn. Drink water, and only water. (I recommend 12 glasses a day minimum.)

Myth: Carbs are bad. Mkay!
    You NEED carbs. Believe it or not, you can't lose weight without them. They're the gasoline to your honda, and if you don't put any in your body, you're running on fumes, and you feel like shit. So how do you lose weight with carbs? You limit them. Don't cut them out entirely. Remember, there's two different types of carbs: Simple and Complex. Simple carbs are your white breads, your table sugars, high fructose corn syrups, sugary cereals. Complex carbs are your whole grains, vegetables (make sure to steam them, not fry them. Anything deep fried in oil is loaded with calories and monounsaturated fat.) Stick to your complex carbs, in a small amount.

Myth: All you need is cardio.
    I HATE this myth. Everybody says all you need to do is walk everywhere and you'll lose weight. Yes, that's true when you start out, but when your body gets used to walking everywhere, and you plateau after 2 weeks, that's when you give up. You NEED to lift heavy weights as well. Building muscle not only increases fatloss, it decreases the time it takes for you to lose the fat as well. You do need cardio, but there's different kind of cardio. Low Interval Intensity Training (LIIT) and High Interval Intensity Trainingare the ones you want to focus on. I recommend starting out your workout with 10 minutes of LIIT on an elliptical or biking machine, moving onto 30 minutes of weight lifting (Low Repetition (1 to 5), Low Set (2 to 3), High Weight, waiting 1 minute in between your sets, and 3 minutes in between exercises.) After your weight lifting, it's time to move onto 30 minutes of HIIT training. This can be anything from sprints, to snakes, etc. The focus of HIIT training is to go 100% and not pussyfoot it.

Sleep and You
    Sleep is without a doubt, THE most important (and in my opinion, overlooked) factor in weight loss. Your circadian rhythm controls your body's chemistry. (Most people only attribute it to sleep and weight cycles, I also group in eating cycles with it as well.) You need a full Eight to Nine hours of sleep every night. You should be going to bed at the same time every night and waking up at the same time every day (sometimes this is not possible with job schedules, but at least make it a full 8 to 9 hours, even if it means fore-going a raid.) Eat at the same times throughout the day (your body will accommodate by releasing the pre-digestive chemicals a few minutes before.) This, and drinking 12 glasses of water throughout the day are probably the two biggest boosters of metabolism there is.

Should I take supplements?
    Yes, you should, but not "weight loss" supplements. There is no magic pill that makes you lose weight. Most of them are just caffeine pills that are "designed to boost your metabolism through the use of thermogenics." (I do have a personal trainer friend that recommends something called 'Oxy Pro'." But I have no knowledge of it's effects, but it seems to work for many people, so you might want to look at that.) So what should you take? A multivitamin and fish oil is all I recommend in pill form. Fish oil is good for vascular health, memory, and is even shown to aid in weight loss.

Protein Shakes?
    Protein shakes are optional. I find that if you get sick while training, that replacing your pre-workout meal with a protein shake gives you a good amount of protein without weighing down your stomach. Get one that's low in sugar. I like Syntha-6.

Some sites you can go to in order to find out more about dieting and weight loss:

www dot bodybuilding dot com (go to the forums, it's a treasure trove)

www dot leangains dot com (This guy is one of the most knowledgeable personal trainers I know)

Deleted
    well first things, i didnt read all of those posts here,
    second DONT give a damn what those BMI things says, they are misleading
    Want to check if ur weights is ok? Look into a damn Mirror, its foolproof.

So ok u are overweighted, in fact so am i.

So what to do?
    Its easy, but its not.
    Well for people like me it is hard to overcome myself and do some sports.
    What sports is best to loose weight? Well cardio is the best, Cardio mans Endurace sports, like Bicycle, Jogging, Crosstrainer, Swimming, the more the better. Swimming would be the best in my opinion, because almost all Muscles are used and even overweighted people can do it serveral the week without having problems.

Well if thats not enought, there are othe means to train, like BWE (Body Weight Exercises), just google it, u can train without any equipment, and there are plenty plans in the internet,
    Just train 2-3 days the week, and do some Cardio.

Well training is just the beginning, the problem is what to eat.
    Some say, No meat, Some say NO Bread , i say, give a shit
    You need a Calorine deficit.
    What does that mean? Well maybe u seen some calculators wich tell u how many calorine per day you need, Well those are mostly unaccurate, BUT if you use many calculators and take the average you should have a value to work with.

So u got the value what now?
    Now u take away 5-10% , or about 500 Kcal, this is what u have to eat from now on.
    The normal value gives u what your body need to live, to breath, tho move, and to think
    Take away too much and your body goes into a state where it thinks that ur in a famine.
    So its starts to desperatly storing fat. Yes its actually STORING fat, so the opposite what u want. While storing fat it uses up unneded muscles, are there none it uses the fat, Well its a way to lower weight but once u start eating normal WOHOOO double the weights coming back ..no good.
    Thats why only 5-10%, or no more than 500 kcal. Your body has enough to live and uses up unneded fat, still its not possible to get more muscles.
    Once a week its a good idea to eat a bit more, like telling the body thats everything is ok, and to tell yourself that there is more than counting every bit of calorine.

Every week you should look at your weight, if its gone up, you problaby have eaten too much, or too less, if its the same, you need to eat a bit less. Remember the more spors you do, the more your body actually needs.

To the question WHAT to eat, well everyone says something else, Look in the internet, there a many fitness forums, look for some, read the stickies, and ask them what to do.
    it is really helpfull.

Quote Originally Posted by aftermidnight View Post
    If you're too lazy to even google and 'need' the information to come to you; you're beyond help.
    Ugh.

Mod Warning: Post more constructively.
    Don't be a douche dude..

Deleted
    First of all, good luck, you already took a big step, asking for help/advice on something, that a lot of people dont like to talk about.

Second, you will find that there are a million different kinds of diets and "experts" will disagree on which one is better, so its hard to say which one will work best for you, as some people have said, carbs in general should be reduced, but not cut out entirely, you also need some fat, but you want to avoid saturated fats.

Thrid, find out how much energy you need per day, there are calculators online where you enter your height, weight and activity level, then its a matter of counting callories and getting a bit below what you need, but dont drop too far below, aim for maybe -100 cal.

Fibers are your friends, they are very low in energy ( 8 kJ/g) and they keep you full for longer.

If end up going for a set daily diet, then I would advice you to have one day a week where you can eat whatever you want, without going overboard of course, otherwise you will end up getting tired of eating and thats no good.

Take care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey all! I am sort of in the same position as OP in terms of needing to lose some weight. I've been working out and trying to eat right for a couple of weeks now. Heres what I do

Everyday I work out for an hour. I do 10 minutes on a treadmill going 2.5mph then I do weights, i.e dumbbells, and a weight machine which has like a pull down bar, and a lot of other things on it, then i simply repeat the treadmill part and then the weights part again. Then my hour is usually up. Hopefully this works, anyone got any ideas on how I can improve?

Quote Originally Posted by marukale View Post
    Spreading you calorie intake over the day is much better for you than having 1 or 2 meals, your body will burn calories at a much more sensible rate which ends up in loosing more weight and not having problems of periods of lethargy.

However, Robula does make an important point about stopping when you are full. Most people are brought up being taught that they should clear their plate, this instills in people the idea that leaving food on a plate is bad. Ideally you should only have enough food on the plate to fill you up but that can be hard to do. Leaving food on a plate is worse than overeating so just keep reminding yourself of that.

Eat a meal slowly, take your time between mouthfuls, it takes a while for you to register that you are full so eating too quickly will mean you eat too much. If you find that you don't feel full after a meal but then are uncomfortably full about half hour later you can eat a boiled egg half hour before your meal to kick-start the whole process and you should more accurately know when you are full. Over time you will just know when you have eaten enough and can cut the boiled egg out of your diet.
    '

So, watch maby a "how I met your mother" (something interesting or fun) episode or something while eating to extent the time your eating, and slowing down the eating proces to make your body able to know when its full..

Besides, a laughing extends your life

---------- Post added 2011-07-06 at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nørf View Post
    Hey there.

Actualy bananas ain't that great. They contain alot of fruitsugar, which transforms into carbs at about 11g/100g. On the other side it has vitamin B, which is good for you, but you can get that from other places.
    Last edited by Thoroth; 2011-07-06 at 11:51 AM.

If overweight, the best you can do to start is cardio. Walk everyday for a reasonable amount of time, and if able, run in the morning, doesn't matter if its a treadmill. Biking swimming, hiking, all that type of stuff will help you exercise for longer and helps you burn that fat away.

the problem with veggies is they can get pricy. sure they are cheap but if u were to compare how full u become after eating say 2 or 3 bowls of salad compared to like pasta or cereal?> its not even close. plus u need fresh veggies. not salad packs or bags. anything thats pre-packed has no nutritional value in it. therefore it wont decompose in the fridge either.
    ur best off jus walking plus drinking lots of water, no sugar in your diet. no pop and mainly some exercise.

Christ, I'm like 215 pounds when I should be under like 190 or 180 but even I can run mile in under 10mins.
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."

Hi I lost about 80 pounds in 6 months doing the simple following:

Cabbage soup diet. (look it up I lost about 10 pounds the first week)

After that my weight loss slowed down. I started jumping rope for an hour each day. Eating HEALTHY. This includes drinking nothing but water and eating salads with steamed chicken. Not very satisfying I know but if you want results you can't afford to eat anything delicious

If you can't skip rope walk. Lots and lots of walking.

CHEERS