10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.

[Weightloss] LCHF + VLCD ...

A question to those who think they know their stuff about weightloss
    I'm currently at about 260 pounds (ugh), 6'3", heavy frame (not just flab ;p), male

This is my lil experiment during the summer;

Carbs restricted down to perhaps 20-30g per day
    Wake up, eat a couple of boiled eggs (reduces hunger, yay.) with mayonnaise (nomnom)
    Eat another egg separately during the day, 3 hours after breakfast, then yet another 3 hours later. (4 daily)
    End the day with a protein-rich "dinner" at around 18-19pm, chicken or the like
    Complement with one daily vitamin pill (pills has some negative sound to it in these discussions)
    40g pure protein shake after a low-intense workout (say 1 - 1,5 hour cycling or a mix of pushups, dumbles, situps... the usual)
    I'd estimate daily calorie intake to 1400~ (assuming I have one shake every two days) which is nigh extreme

Been a bit worried if it's pure idiocy for me to follow this due to some metabolic/biologic reason I don't know of. If you've read about low-carb diets you might know of ketosis, when the liver starts to convert fats to glucose for energy as there's no carbs to speak off. (as far as I've read, ketosis also causes the body to conserve established muscle-mass, or so I hope.)
    Been wondering if this diet is actually some muscle-tearing stupidity or if it's actually quite effective (fat burning, muscle conserving). I have however seen substantial changes on the scale (been doing this for 5-6 weeks now, -25 pounds and I can't say I've noticed any muscle loss, but it's hard to tell), but I sometimes wonder if I'm completely misinformed and is losing a lot of muscle-mass as well, since my calorie intake is low.

Any wisdom to share?
    Ps. the -500kcal/day deficit method is nothing for me, so don't bother ;p
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2011-07-06 at 09:16 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of them until now, not too big on crash diets.

Types of food are no help, since size/servings will vary in calories/macros. I tried by best to add it up myself, & I came around to 600-700 calories, & around 100 grams of protein. Even if you're eating 1400 calories like you say you are, I bet that's under your BMR(basic metabolic rate), which is what your body burns while doing nothing. Have you heard of a psmf diet? It's basically the same thing, eating at around 1xxx-15xx calories, high protein, low fats/carbs(like your diets, except w/ high fats) for about 5-8 weeks.

You can possibly get away with your "experiment" with minimal muscle loss if you keep your intensity high & lift heavy, also seeing that you probably have a good chunk of fat to lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shikomei_TFC View Post
    Never heard of them until now, not too big on crash diets.

Types of food are no help, since size/servings will vary in calories/macros. I tried by best to add it up myself, & I came around to 600-700 calories, & around 100 grams of protein. Even if you're eating 1400 calories like you say you are, I bet that's under your BMR(basic metabolic rate), which is what your body burns while doing nothing. Have you heard of a psmf diet? It's basically the same thing, eating at around 1xxx-15xx calories, high protein, low fats/carbs(like your diets, except w/ high fats) for about 5-8 weeks.

You can possibly get away with your "experiment" with minimal muscle loss if you keep your intensity high & lift heavy, also seeing that you probably have a good chunk of fat to lose.
    Hm? I'd hardly call LCHF (Low Carbs High Fat) a crash diet ("crash diet" is used for those without any real nutritional knowledge who try to cut kcal back so much they'll see huge results on the scale the first week, mostly due to water weight and partially empited bowels, then give up the following week as the only changes on the scale are actual mass, and they might lose motivation) VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) is somewhat closer.
    Mmm, the protein shake contains about 800kcal per serving (say 40g)
    I'd assume my average kcal intake for 48 hours would be around 1700-2000 + 1 shake (800)

My BMR is around 2900, assuming no real activity during the day

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, people tend to say short diets(anywhere from 4-8 weeks) to be a crash diet. You'll most likely go back to your old ways of eating, & regain everything you lost. Ah ok, so it's a weight gainer shake? Gotcha. I'm jealous, my bmr is around ~1900 lol. With my maintenance somewhere around 2500-2700

Hmm, I honestly don't know what you'd look like afterwards. Seeing that you're dipping ~1k cals below your bmr. Will you be keeping a log? Or before & after pics? I'll eventually be running a psmf diet down the road. Consuming anywhere around from 1200-1500 calories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shikomei_TFC View Post
    Hmm, people tend to say short diets(anywhere from 4-8 weeks) to be a crash diet. You'll most likely go back to your old ways of eating, & regain everything you lost. Ah ok, so it's a weight gainer shake? Gotcha. I'm jealous, my bmr is around ~1900 lol. With my maintenance somewhere around 2500-2700

Hmm, I honestly don't know what you'd look like afterwards. Seeing that you're dipping ~1k cals below your bmr. Will you be keeping a log? Or before & after pics? I'll eventually be running a psmf diet down the road. Consuming anywhere around from 1200-1500 calories.
    Would you really consider a 1-2 month diet to be a crash (and burn) diet? ;p
    I'm trying to keep track of my weekly weight loss but it's hard to track, I mean, the only way to get reliable readings is to never ever eat or drink more or less than I usually do. One well-timed bathroom break and I could see another few hectograms off 8)
    And yes, it's a mass-building shake (aren't they all?), 0 carbs of course

Question remains wether this diet o mine is directly muscle tearing or of it's working as I intend it to, to burn fat deposits before being too harsh on the muscles

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I at least do, because I've tried a couple of these short term diets in the past. Eventually crashed & went back to my old eating ways lol. Honestly, easiest way is just to keep track, is record your calories/macros, & weigh yourself at the same time every weigh in. I do every morning after going to the bathroom.

As long as you're getting enough protein, which it looks like you are, & lift heavy with intensity. It'll be mostly fat loss, & minimal muscle loss. Sorry I can't be too much of help, I've never been able to stick to one of these in the past. But seriously, look into PSMF. Sounds exactly like what you're trying to do.