Poll: Why has Rock and Metal been replaced by Rap and Pop?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Not enough Mastadon, in my opinion. More bands like this.

Also, Metal is a lot more popular in Mexico and Latin America than it is in the US; and in Europe too. Metal is just fading in the US.
    Last edited by Eggowaffles; 2011-07-11 at 06:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Metal is not dead, and it's never been more popular.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jreg View Post
    Except AC DC really isn't that good.
    Except that they have sold more albums then any top 40 artist in the last 20 years. Not to mention they continue to sell out shows after being together for over 40 years. In 40 years, where will any of these mainstream hacks be? Probably pushing a grocery cart down an alley and begging for change because they squandered their money on useless crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Maybe if you are a mentally challenged 13 year old white kid from the suburbs who thinks he is a thuggin gangster.

Music is shit now because people are retarded. Anyone who says they love listening to music yet only listen to simple minded mainstream crap clearly has no clue when it comes to music. Saying you are a fan of music means you listen to music that encompasses a story and takes some level of talent to write.
    I instantly combat your negative views of hip hop and rap with this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amS-GMSjsCw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jW4x...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcgvW...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ibeIqOv1ww
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RfNAkiihkw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fREYIBVep-8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pjHlizcXI8

Rap & Pop are easier to understand for your average idiotic teenager nowadays. Metal and rock often get too technical.

10+ Year Old Account
    It hasn't. There's such a stronger, more driven metal community than the rap/pop one. Metal albums are once again climbing the charts (even with the record industry in shambles). You will ALWAYS have more fun at a metal show. Numbers don't mean everything. The atmosphere, the scene, make up most of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Rap & Pop are easier to understand for your average idiotic teenager nowadays. Metal and rock often get too technical.
    im posting the bajebus out of this thread tonight. Yes i am very dumb teenager Im probably the dumbest teenager ever but some how managed to get 2 college credits for political science at 16 and one for european history crazy how dumb us teenagers really are! im incredibly stupid im so dumb i managed to write a 20 page report on the political views of John Locke and Thomas Hobbes and how they could have interpreted the Cromwell's protectorates. very stupid i am so dumb i cant eat food with a fork becuase i might poke my self in the eye i am so stupid

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    because this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoLUc6cqAOU. is so much better than this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amS-GMSjsCw
    please son if you are gonna hate on a type of music please know that rock and metal has the same level of shit in it as any other kind of music.
    No, because you can't compare mainstream rock which is generally actually pretty shit (The Reason, Rise Against, MCR and Kings of Leon for instance) to good rock, whether it's classic rock or other mainstream rock bands like the Foo Fighters or Dave Matthews Band, who have been more musically relevant and popular for 20 years. The funny thing is that no matter how much people hate on new rock, there will always be some good bands out there, especially if you delve into the indie scene these days. No mainstream pop star will outlive what rockers have done. The fact is that most rock artists are selling albums released 30 or more years ago, and even the newer rock bands can outsell pop artists without even trying. Wasted Light by Foo Fighters was one of the most anticipated rock albums in a long time, and it's actually one of their best works in several years. It's good because many of the songs have lasting appeal, lyrics that people want to sing along with and great beats while still maintaining all of the things that make Foo Fighters who they are.

And if anything, rock has a lower percentage of shit then metal, just a lot of modern rock and metal bands are very bland and generic sounding.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I think rock is basically( or loosely) based on rebellion. It is about stand up/with something( though it does not apply to all) And now days people really do not have that much to complain about. So now most songs are about banter.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfiredragon View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the voices in American Rock / Metal right now. I mean most of it is scream scream yell. Compare that to some of the rock comming out of Europe right now.
    And then you link a Nightwish video that's several years old and the original set up has split? o_O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No, because you can't compare mainstream rock which is generally actually pretty shit (The Reason, Rise Against, MCR and Kings of Leon for instance) to good rock, whether it's classic rock or other mainstream rock bands like the Foo Fighters or Dave Matthews Band, who have been more musically relevant and popular for 20 years. The funny thing is that no matter how much people hate on new rock, there will always be some good bands out there, especially if you delve into the indie scene these days. No mainstream pop star will outlive what rockers have done. The fact is that most rock artists are selling albums released 30 or more years ago, and even the newer rock bands can outsell pop artists without even trying. Wasted Light by Foo Fighters was one of the most anticipated rock albums in a long time, and it's actually one of their best works in several years. It's good because many of the songs have lasting appeal, lyrics that people want to sing along with and great beats while still maintaining all of the things that make Foo Fighters who they are.

And if anything, rock has a lower percentage of shit then metal, just a lot of modern rock and metal bands are very bland and generic sounding.
    I completely agree with you i was just proving metal and rock can be as bad as rap hip hop pop etc. i will say your arguement is very bullet proof until the fact that rap has only been around since the late 80s... not as long as the psychedelic furs or anyone still selling like rolling stones and ACDC. which if you wanna say mainstream as shit ACDC and The Rolling stones are so mainstream it isnt even funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Add the option of "the general population lost their taste in music", that's what I vote for.

On a side note, A metal band called Amaranthe just released their first album a couple months ago, the whole first month that it was out this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y25snz83ms was the second most watched music related video on Youtube and the album was among the top 10 most purchased albums on iTunes for 2 months. Metal is far from dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Haldurion View Post
    And then you link a Nightwish video that's several years old and the original set up has split? o_O
    I agree with that statement, something along the lines of Amaranthe would have been more appropriate, a little bit of "screaming" but it's all reasonable and very understandable ^.^ And Elize Ryd has an absolutely beautiful voice.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2011-07-11 at 07:25 AM.

Rap and hip-hop tend to concentrate on three things: money, cars and women.
    It got boring in the 80s, but it still hasn't changed.
    The good rap and hip-hop is that which has something else to offer.
    I'm tired of hearing about "hoes, swag, hustle and Lamborghinis".
    You don't get "cred" from me for that, you leave an impression that you're still at the age of 12 and want to be cool.

But the problem is, this is the description of my taste, and does not count for anyone else.
    I listen to AC/DC, KISS, ZZ Top, Dimmu Borgir, Andrew W.K., and many find these bands/ artists bad.
    It's just taste, I guess. Nothing is bad taste, it's just taste.
    Saying that something is bad taste gives no real meaning as the term has no set value or standard. It is defined by each person.
    Each to his own, I guess.

But... A bit more related to the topic:
    I think that rock and its sub genres are less popular than hip-hop and rap because it's often more complex and has existed longer.
    Looped beats, simplistic melodies and a heavy emphasis on vocals defines rap and hip-hop, and it's easy to "digest".
    "The rebellious youth" often hunt for something to differentiate them from the rest, something new, and often a genre which doesn't appeal to the older generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo rock/metal is for concerts and festivals etc, while Pop/Mainstream music is generally party music. I still listen to rock more on my Ipod but it's not very good to dance to

There's pretty much no accounting for taste. It's all about how you come across something new. If someone stops by and tells someone to like or try something, whatever it is will not resonate the same way it would if they had found it themselves.

Blastit - I listened to your posting of Currensy's 'The day' and that was pretty good. I'm not all that into rap, I just don't search it out on my own is all, but if its something like that then ya.

People that hate rap are mostly exposed to it only by other people's radios, and likely its a top 40 or something and its a stupid short chorus that gets repeated and there's some obnoxious bass or something. If you don't like that then it's almost like you hear a completely different song in your head than the dude blastin it does.

I'd post a link to a metal band like Gojira or something, but I can't post links...

anyway, I like Gojira a lot, but to someone who isn't listening to the same song as me (because I like it, and for arguments sake they don't) it's gonna be a bunch of shite, loud metal, blaster drums, guitars *yawn*...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seldirion View Post
    Rap and hip-hop tend to concentrate on three things: money, cars and women.
    It got boring in the 80s, but it still hasn't changed.
    The good rap and hip-hop is that which has something else to offer.
    I'm tired of hearing about "hoes, swag, hustle and Lamborghinis".
    You don't get "cred" from me for that, you leave an impression that you're still at the age of 12 and want to be cool.

But the problem is, this is the description of my taste, and does not count for anyone else.
    I listen to AC/DC, KISS, ZZ Top, Dimmu Borgir, Andrew W.K., and many find these bands/ artists bad.
    It's just taste, I guess. Nothing is bad taste, it's just taste.
    Saying that something is bad taste gives no real meaning as the term has no set value or standard. It is defined by each person.
    Each to his own, I guess.

But... A bit more related to the topic:
    I think that rock and its sub genres are less popular than hip-hop and rap because it's often more complex and has existed longer.
    Looped beats, simplistic melodies and a heavy emphasis on vocals defines rap and hip-hop, and it's easy to "digest".
    "The rebellious youth" often hunt for something to differentiate them from the rest, something new, and often a genre which doesn't appeal to the older generation.
    Hah, Andrew W.K! I'm a complete deathmetal-metalhead (so not really his kind of music) but I think he is awesome. Partially because we look so much alike ^.^ Everyone always calls me Andrew W.K, usually turns into just Awk after a few weeks though lol.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2011-07-11 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    Not enough Mastadon, in my opinion. More bands like this.
    Maybe some Neurosis, the band that Mastadon (and pretty much every other metal band) got influenced by? Warning: the following video is approximately the length of 3 1/4 radio songs. Those with tiny attention spans and distaste for anything that doesn't hit you immediately, don't bother listening!

Aaaaaaand while we're at it, some good hip-hop to quell the sudden onslaught of "hurr hip hop for dum ppl hurr":

P.S. I'd love to find me a metal artist that's this good at painting a picture with lyrics. I dare anybody.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has it? I know of noone that listens to eighter Pop nor shipshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I don't get the "more civil" choice, since i tend to hear about rappers and hip-hop stars getting gunned down by gangbangers and such a lot more than anything to do with Metal/rock.

Also i think the reason rap and hiphop is so popular, is it revolves nearly primarily around Sex and drugs in the lyrics, and boy do we know how much kids these days love sex and drugs, AMIRITE!, so rap and hiphop seems "cool" to them

because metal is just ridiculous its just noise, you cant understand a word of their screaming and because goths dont wash themselves they smell like shiat? there are only a few blackmetal bands that are good like slipknot and 30sec. to the mars and dragoonforce