Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Okay, imagine this: Government votes to give everyone who is unemployed a job to sit around doing nothing for $10/day.
    I am talking about lower end jobs remaining in America and thus providing employment. What does government giving people jobs to do nothing have to do with this? Why would I imagine something so irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Also, I meant that 5% unemployment is the optimal. That 5% is the result of structural unemployment - basicly people who are changing jobs, or lost theirs because their profession has become useless thanks to technology (and now need time to find a new profession).
    Great! It wasn't that I misread it, you just simply said employment when you meant unemployment. Not lack of reading or anything, but just an innocent typo.

People changing jobs would really not mean unemployed, as they are changing jobs not just loosing them. When their job is replaced, is why we have regulations such as unemployment insurance. This lets people reeducate, unless even the jobs they can get reeducated into are leaving for China and India. This is one of the regulations that we simply must get rid of, if we abide by the Rand opinion.

This brings me back to the points you said you would come back to, when you have more time. Where would the mid level jobs you are talking about come from and where are they now?
    Last edited by Felya; 2011-07-12 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
    You save money that will again go overseas when you continue to buy the cheaper item. The end result remains high imports hurt the economy, while high exports improve it. The fact is eventually that every dollar that leaves the United States is one less dollar that could be helping you in some way, one less dollar someone spends at your job, one less dollar you could be paid, and one less dollar that the federal government can tax to help American citizens. Its is also one more dollar that some other country can use to do the same things I said about America, the economy is very much a give and take system.
    every dollar leaving the US, is also 1 more dollar that could potentially be used to import the quality US products to other non-US countries. Thereby that 1 dollar could be returned to the US.....so whilst buying american, helps america..at least for a while, because full-protectionism will end in another crisis...buyin the BEST product be it US or not, helps the world economy and through that helps the US economy too.

Buy american/local -> (from world point of view) selfish, inefficient, hurts the economy
    Buy the best product -> stimulates the economy, the free market, when you look beyond the first spending of your money
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    buyin the BEST product be it US or not, helps the world economy and through that helps the US economy too.
    But, what if the cheapest starts selling and not the best?

If the best is selling, then US simply has to get better to be more competitive. But, if simply the cheapest is selling, then US simply has to lower it self to the level of it's competition in order to be competitive. That means, in order for us to compete in the current market as an entirely free market entity, we have to lower the standard of living of American people to that of China and India.

---------- Post added 2011-07-12 at 09:43 PM ----------

Buy american/local -> (from world point of view) selfish, inefficient, hurts the economy
    I pay more to have my goods be local and American. I don't understand how that is selfish on my part. Because I care more about what happens to people in America then the rest of the world? That's nationalist, not selfish. It also helps the local economy, not hurt it. In the links I provided in the OP, Harley Davidson was not hurt by this, but became a world renowned company.

Buy the best product -> stimulates the economy, the free market, when you look beyond the first spending of your money
    But buying the best product would mean buying local. The only reason why most people do not buy American, is because it's much cheaper to buy from China or Taiwan. It's not quality, but price...

---------- Post added 2011-07-12 at 10:00 PM ----------

every dollar leaving the US, is also 1 more dollar that could potentially be used to import the quality US products to other non-US countries. Thereby that 1 dollar could be returned to the US.....so whilst buying american, helps america..
    Buying local would mean that every dollar that is spent in US, stays in US. This means that instead of the 'could be' coming back to US, it is guaranteed to stay in the US. With the US deficit as large as it is, how much longer do we wait for the dollar to comeback?

---------- Post added 2011-07-12 at 10:31 PM ----------

Just to add a bit of fuel to the fire. What do you guys/gals think of the following bumper sticker:

'I'll buy American, when I can get a job in America'

I think it's a 'catch 22', what do you think?
    Last edited by Felya; 2011-07-12 at 11:25 PM.