Obliterate as Blood Spec? Whut?

Ignoring the recent hotfix. Is there any reason to be Obliterating as Blood?
    An incredibly well geared Blood Tank told me he does it for aggro. Now maybe he has frost sub-spec for Annihilation, though I'm not sure whether thats reccomended. But as far as I knew. With DS glyphed and specced. It not only deals more, but heals and puts a shield up. That alone should generate heaps more aggro.
    Am I missing something?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there is no reason for a Blood Death Knight to use obliterate, ever.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    The healing from Death Strike doesn't [or shouldn't] generate aggro if I remember my patch notes. I have never used Obliterate outside of my frost spec, so...

Did he miss the recent massive buff to Death Strike damage?

Now thats what I thought.

---------- Post added 2011-07-23 at 12:20 PM ----------

But even before the buff, Wasn't it better?

Obliterate, even pre-deathstrike buff, was still hitting for less than a deathstrike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystile View Post
    Obliterate, even pre-deathstrike buff, was still hitting for less than a deathstrike.
    This.

OP, this death knight you speak of was nerfing both his damage, threat, and his survivability by using obliterate. :P

Well geared doesn't mean skilled, he could have been carried.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Should never be using Oblit as Blood, even before this patch. o.O

Playing a DK Tank is kinda like being Ray Charles, I don't even look at what keys I'm pressing and everybody goes wild.

Deleted
    the only reason you would ever need to use obliterate as blood is to remove diseases on tank swapping fights. your tanking partner would have to be incredibly bad to not be able to out aggro your diseases though, so it is pointless to use, no matter what. if a blood DK even has it on their bars, then wow. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Playing a DK Tank is kinda like being Ray Charles, I don't even look at what keys I'm pressing and everybody goes wild.
    I feel terrible, but that's actually REALLY funny.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    the only reason you would ever need to use obliterate as blood is to remove diseases
    Obliterate doesn't do that any more.

Obliterate is for Frost, and only for Frost.

Such a shame that so many abilities in WoW are so incredibly specialized to a single spec that are not even worth to put on the hotbar for the other 2 specs. Leaving alot of potentially interesting gameplay mechanics wasted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    LOL that made my day <3

thats just soooo perfekt

Each spec has its own "FU strike" that is only viable to use by that spec alone. Blood has Death Strike, Frost has Obliterate and Unholy has Festering Strike. No DK of a certain spec has any reason to use the strike of another spec in PvE (except very situational conditions, like for example DS'ing as Frost or Unholy for that healing edge at Chimaeron).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaitha View Post
    Each spec has its own "FU strike" that is only viable to use by that spec alone. Blood has Death Strike, Frost has Obliterate and Unholy has Festering Strike. No DK of a certain spec has any reason to use the strike of another spec in PvE (except very situational conditions, like for example DS'ing as Frost or Unholy for that healing edge at Chimaeron).
    Festering Strike uses BF, just thought id point that out

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaitha View Post
    Each spec has its own "FU strike"
    this used to be true. its not anymore.

Death strike for Blood
    Oblit for Frost

UH has ScS which is 1 UH rune only and FeS which is BF which do not interact with each other making UH rotation much smoother (and as some would say less desired)
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Obliterate as a Tank. Have you ever herped so hard you derped?