Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Another Build thread.

Hi,

I've decided it's time to purchase a new computer again, and would like some help. I've read the stickies and will try and fill in as best I can.

Current Build
    Current build is around 3 years old and consists of;
    • CPU E7400 : 2.8Ghz
    • GFX 9800GT 512MB
    • Motherboard Gigabyte EP43-S3L
    • PSU Corsair TX650W
    • RAM Corsair 2GB DDR2
    • OS Windows XP
    • Case Cooler master something.

New Build
    What I'd like to get
    • Upgrade or New Computer: New computer.
    • Upgrade on what (you hope): Everything.
    • Willing to Self Build or a Pre-Built: Self build.
    • How much you want to spend: £700 max (no Monitor / Keyboard / Mouse) - This is around $1150~
    • How much you can spend: See above.
    • What all you plan to use it for: Games mostly (WoW / SC2 / D3 when it's out!), otherwise will have iTunes / IDE / Browser open usually.
    • What Operating system you want to use & Bit: Windows 7, 64 Bit
    • What Resolution you hope to be in: My monitor is quite old, and only supports 1,366 x 768 maximum. I have no problems with it though.
    • What Settings do you Want & how much FPS: As it's mostly for WoW & SC2, in WoW I'd like to have 60 FPS with V-sync on everywhere ideally (including 25 man raids (if this is possible)), not too bothered about quality, as long as it's smooth. Same for SC2, smooth in 200/200 vs 200/200 battles, not fussed about the quality aswell.
    • What Country are you from: UK, prefer parts from Scan (used them before)
    • What can you re-use: From looking at the computer build image (can't link cause of posts), I believe I can re-use the PSU, although not sure since it's a bit old.
    • Network will be wired or wireless: Wired.
    • Any Additional Info Here: I'd prefer an Intel Processor, and an Nvidia GPU, no specific reason, it's just the brands that I've used before and am used to/had no issues with. As well as this an SSD for the OS / Games would be handy, and a separate drive for everything else. I won't be overclocking or anything like that. Quieter the better, and preferably CPU's / GPUs that don't run too hot under load with the stock heatsink / fan.
    As for specific parts, I have no idea, last time I built my computer I literally just picked random stuff off Scan and asked on a random forum if it would work together. Being a new member I can't link anything either, which is a pain.

From the FalconGuide, which I can't link, I'd guess the outstanding build would suit me best.

Thanks for any help. If you don't have time, I'd just like to know if the outstanding build from the FalconGuide (from the sticky, newest version (28th July), would do everything I wanted.

15+ Year Old Account
    This was caught in the spam filter, so here's a free bump!
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Here's my take.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Here's my take.
    I second this build it looks ready to play the games the op listed easily.

Deleted
    That's great, cheers.

Better to get that PSU or use the one from my old computer?

Probably be able to use the old one. Is it the v2?

Also, did you need the Windows 7 OEM key, or can you obtain Windows 7 (hopefully legally) from elsewhere much cheaper?

Doubt its the V2 that isnt out for like 1 year (not 100% sure) but that should be the old one.

The tx 650 should be able to power that system with ease even if it lost some watt that should be enough to power that system so keep it and maybe upgrade it down the road.

The money you save there can be used to buy a hyper 212 (It will be quiet and less heat) even if your not ocing. And maybe upgrade the case something like a antec 300 (Not a fan off those) or a bitfenix shinobi (for a sub 50 Euro case i can hold a 240 rad and 3(5) fans)
    Last edited by Aminozuur; 2011-08-19 at 05:52 PM.
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Wait, did you just delete your post and re-post a new post? o.o Or was that someone else?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, did you just delete your post and re-post a new post? o.o Or was that someone else?
    I deleted mine, I said he needed a new psu(thinking he had a no name garbage one), I didn't read that he already had a solid choice and didn't want to confuse anyone, but I suppose I failed in that respect.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Ah. Okay. :P I remembered the post, but not who posted, and I noticed the missing post by chance. <<

Drunkenvalley's build is perfect, except for one thing... he forgot:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coole...m2-am2plus-am3
    so you can overclock your cpu xD
    Should be able to get you to 4.5ghz or so

Also you should use your old psu, and possibly your old case as long as it has at least 2 case fans
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Old case has only 1 fan atm. So would most likely change that.

I can't think of anywhere else where I could obtain a Windows 7 key either.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Actually, I now realize I forgot a DVD drive.

Dvd drivers are kinda getting outdated (Steam is your friend) the only reason for DvD is kinda watching movies which again can be bought off the iNet at the same/lower price or installing W7 (got that on a flash stick)
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

The only reason I care about the DVD drive is for installing Windows... :P

The only reason I care about the DVD drive is for installing Windows... :P
    flash drive or external hdd ftw
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    flash drive or external hdd ftw
    Which I don't know if the OP has. :P

Which I don't know if the OP has. :P
    Might want to add a floppy drive too then in case he wants to install windows 98 from one of his floppies.

Might want to add a floppy drive too then in case he wants to install windows 98 from one of his floppies.
    Smartass response not appreciated... <<

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thought he'd want a 5.25 floppy drive for 3.1?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard