Thread: [Music] Metal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Wouldn't call the latest Deathspell Omega dark. If anything, it's positively jubilant.

Would call the new Craft pretty dark though. And fun.

Sidenote, it was pretty hard to just pick one track to post.
    I wouldn't compare DsO to generic BM, they are different, for instance, Carpathian Forest look puerile and blatantly stupid compared to them. From SMRC they provide a nice auditive experience, but what many don't comprehend/aren't interested in, sadly, are their lyrics, filled with metaphysical metaphors, with inspiration from great men like Bataille or Hegel. Some concepts I'm sure many won't agree on and ignore seeing them as either pure aesthetical fillers or stupid things. And that's where this band goes further away from generic BM or metal in general.
    Dark, agonizingly satisfying dissonant and transcendental experience. By far my favorite band.

Also I appreciate that someone mentioned Gorguts, great band.
    Last edited by mmoc54c9892e8d; 2011-08-23 at 05:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deathspell Omega are probably one of my favourites as well. I say 'probably' and 'one of', because every time I try to make a list I suffer by having to leave bands out. I consider them to be one of the epitomes of Black Metal as their lyrics actually go beyond "Hail Satan" (repeat: 666 times). That makes them far more powerful and empowering than the easy-going nature of the more punk-based black metal.

Paracletus is wonderful. Personally, I think Si Monvmentvm is a bit easier to get into and the lyrics are easier to grasp. One of the things I appreciate is the fact that they're actually making proper use of the different languages instead of atrociously crooked latin etc. I'm still hunting SMRC on vinyl, but it's not that easy to get.

As to lyrics, I think you'll find Anaal Nathrakh actually have lyrics that go a fair bit deeper than they might at first glance. Dave Hunt studied philosophy and has a tendency to include a smattering of references. The titles, album titles and the understandable bits are the clues to go dig deeper.

I tried like hell to get into black metal but almost none of it stuck except all the ambient and depressive black metal. I just don't like most of the vocals or the production on some stuff.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    damn some of you people listen to some good stuff I mostly into black metal, NSBM, 80's-90's thrash (think Protector and Assassin) and folky type metal (korpiklaani, svara, skyforger). And I have always had a special place for Industrail music.. and I mean real Industrial none of that shitty ass fag dance crap they play in clubs now with all these retarded download only bands. fuck your downloads, be a man and make an album if your music is even worth listening to.

I used to live in Edmonton and I really miss all the local metal there, Hails to Kriticos, Dead Jesus, Quietus and Mortillery.

some other good stuff I like:
    Wintersun
    Immortal
    Rhapsody
    KMFDM
    Alkonost
    Valinor ( Polish )
    Dissection
    Faerghail
    Inquinok
    Wolven Ancestry ( awesome band from Sudbury )
    Sargeist
    I could go on forever

---------- Post added 2011-08-23 at 07:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by solonglonesome View Post
    I tried like hell to get into black metal but almost none of it stuck except all the ambient and depressive black metal. I just don't like most of the vocals or the production on some stuff.
    Ah you can never get into Black Metal until it wants you to like it. I used to hate the shit, I thought It sounded like crap and the vocals were annoying as hell. However one day it jsut sounded great.. listened to some old BM bands and never looked back. Part of what made early black metal black metal was the shitty sound liek it was from hell. Most guys didn't have the means to make and record good music.

Quorthon from Bathroy is the best example. He spent ALL of his money on his music and poured his heart and soul into it. The guy would record his music in a noisy warehouse BATHROOM with boxes of shit stacked all over and people working in the warehouse around him. Bathory is fucking great and has influenced nearly every metal band since he started to rock. Sadly Quorthon died of heart failure in 2004 we had petitioned to trade Brett Micheals for him back but the God's aren't cooperating haha
    Strap on your shields and raise your banners, Hear the call of raging battle
    Beneath a hail of burning arrows
    Push ever forward, never surrender
    Siege weapons tolling out like thunder, Ripping the city walls asunder
    Columns of flame reach ever skyward
    Horizons filled with burning pyres

Quote Originally Posted by fylth View Post
    damn some of you people listen to some good stuff I mostly into black metal, NSBM, 80's-90's thrash (think Protector and Assassin) and folky type metal (korpiklaani, svara, skyforger). And I have always had a special place for Industrail music.. and I mean real Industrial none of that shitty ass fag dance crap they play in clubs now with all these retarded download only bands. fuck your downloads, be a man and make an album if your music is even worth listening to.

I used to live in Edmonton and I really miss all the local metal there, Hails to Kriticos, Dead Jesus, Quietus and Mortillery.

some other good stuff I like:
    Wintersun
    Immortal
    Rhapsody
    KMFDM
    Alkonost
    Valinor ( Polish )
    Dissection
    Faerghail
    Inquinok
    Wolven Ancestry ( awesome band from Sudbury )
    Sargeist
    I could go on forever

---------- Post added 2011-08-23 at 07:47 PM ----------

Ah you can never get into Black Metal until it wants you to like it. I used to hate the shit, I thought It sounded like crap and the vocals were annoying as hell. However one day it jsut sounded great.. listened to some old BM bands and never looked back. Part of what made early black metal black metal was the shitty sound liek it was from hell. Most guys didn't have the means to make and record good music.

Quorthon from Bathroy is the best example. He spent ALL of his money on his music and poured his heart and soul into it. The guy would record his music in a noisy warehouse BATHROOM with boxes of shit stacked all over and people working in the warehouse around him. Bathory is fucking great and has influenced nearly every metal band since he started to rock. Sadly Quorthon died of heart failure in 2004 we had petitioned to trade Brett Micheals for him back but the God's aren't cooperating haha
    I'm a sucker for anything that sounds as good as Dissection, I honestly think Dissection is my favorite DM band ever. The Somberlain is goshdarn perfect.

My favorite metal bands are

1. RAAAA!~!!!!!
    2. RAWRRRAWRAWRRR!!!
    and
    3. RAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAYAYYAAYYAYYYYYAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

man they ROCK!
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Honestly I'd recommend this EP from DSO:

Obviously it's intense and heavy, but it has some fantastic instrumental sections that actually get fairly melodic and make use of layered guitars perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    My favorite metal bands are

1. RAAAA!~!!!!!
    2. RAWRRRAWRAWRRR!!!
    and
    3. RAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAYAYYAAYYAYYYYYAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

man they ROCK!
    Fail attempt at being funny

Quote Originally Posted by kliffharry View Post
    Fail attempt at being funny
    huh? all I got from your post was GRRRRRRYAAAARAWR!
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    huh? all I got from your post was GRRRRRRYAAAARAWR!
    Go troll somewhere else please

10+ Year Old Account
    Sabaton - Power Metal, pretty good stuff. Art of War is a good album to start with.

Animals as Leaders - Progressive Metal, instrumental. Some of their songs aren't metal at all, but songs like CAFO and Tempting Time are hot and sexy (if you like polyrhythms)

Dream Theater - Progressive Metal. I'm sure everybody knows who Dream Theater is. Scenes from a Memory? Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by K1LLLTH3N00B View Post
    Sabaton - Power Metal, pretty good stuff. Art of War is a good album to start with.

Animals as Leaders - Progressive Metal, instrumental. Some of their songs aren't metal at all, but songs like CAFO and Tempting Time are hot and sexy (if you like polyrhythms)

Dream Theater - Progressive Metal. I'm sure everybody knows who Dream Theater is. Scenes from a Memory? Yes please.
    I think you'd like Cynic alot. Listen to either Traced In Air or Focus. Also that Deathspell Omega song was pretty awesome.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I've been into for the past few days:

Recently found out this band is christian and the lyrics are pretty horrid. Doesn't change my opinion of them. This band is awesome!

What I've been listening at least once a week since I discovered it:

In Flames - Colony... easily in my top5 greatest albums of all time. I love this band, man. It's too bad their recent stuff sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by geniusbean View Post
    What I've been into for the past few days: In Flames - Colony... easily in my top5 greatest albums of all time. I love this band, man. It's too bad their recent stuff sucks.
    early In Flames will always be awesome melodeath to bad Nu Metal was 10 years late over there and they went all lame.

Symphony X

Dream Theater

Manowar

Rush

10+ Year Old Account
    i listen to a wide variety of music, so ill try and narrow it down to metal

The Absence
    At The Gates
    Black Dahlia Murder
    Solution .45
    Abigail Williams
    August Burns Red
    Bring Me The Horizon
    Mastodon
    Scar Symmetry
    Stray from the Path
    We Came As Romans
    World Under Blood

im tired of listing shit now lol. fine metal above. now back to some blunt smoking music. peace

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a few additions of bands I doubt most of you guys have heard:

(one man band)

I'd post more but I have to raid

Neaera is fucking win.

Listen to Prey to anguish, Paradigm lost, Armamentarium, God forsaken soil, etc. They all on youtube. It is of the "melodic metalcore" genre supposedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also that Deathspell Omega song was pretty awesome.
    Just grab the rest as well.

The unholy trinity of Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice, Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum and Paracletus is a mind-boggling trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Just grab the rest as well.

The unholy trinity of Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice, Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum and Paracletus is a mind-boggling trip.
    I think I may do this, I wish my headphones were longer so I could fully appreciate it. Listening to Xasthur through speakers and not headphones sucks.