Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question If not WoW, then what?

Just wondering what MMO's you people who aren't playing wow are playing atm, I've been playing wow since beta, and have played most other MMOs but haven't played anything but wow in a long time and want a different mmo to play untill the Star wars one or guild wars2 comes out.

I have LOTRO, AoC, Rift, Aion, Asherons Call, and WAR accounts, most of them from when the games launched though so im guessing alot of them are different now.

But the game doesn't have to be on that list, I love MMOs and would like one to replace wow with, just wondering what MMOs you guys who aren't playing wow are playing.
    “The Jedi…the Sith…you don’t get it, do you? To the galaxy, they’re the same thing; just men and women with too much power, squabbling over religion, while the rest of us burn.”-Atton Rand

At the moment I play (next to WoW) the game ''League of Legends''. It's pretty fun, reminds me of the Warcraft-series, except it's online with other players. Right now it lacks some maps, but all the different champions (= characters) makes it quite nice.

I'm not playing any MMO at the moment. WoW is just so terrible I'd rather play no mmo at all then play WoW.

I'm certainly looking forward to SWTOR, it looks amazing.

I tried that Wizard 101 free MMO for a short while, it wasn't bad. The community was weird but overall nicer and friendlier then WoW has been in ages. It's not the most fleshed out MMO but you can't expect the moon in a free MMO

Until the next wave of RPG's & MMO's hit shelves later this year, it's gonna be more of the same. There might be some suggestions for you in the video game forum on MMO-Champion - some good stuff talked about there, including several threads just like yours, asking what MMO's are out already, and which are fun.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/293-Video-Games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wargon View Post
    Just wondering what MMO's you people who aren't playing wow are playing atm, I've been playing wow since beta, and have played most other MMOs but haven't played anything but wow in a long time and want a different mmo to play untill the Star wars one or guild wars2 comes out.

I have LOTRO, AoC, Rift, Aion, Asherons Call, and WAR accounts, most of them from when the games launched though so im guessing alot of them are different now.

But the game doesn't have to be on that list, I love MMOs and would like one to replace wow with, just wondering what MMOs you guys who aren't playing wow are playing.
    I stopped playing WoW about four months ago (note the term "Stopped playing" as in I MIGHT return). I still play Guild Wars every now and then and EVE. I too love MMO's. EVE has just grabbed me like no other MMO has...just like how WoW did. But WoW just got too repetitive (as many people have pointed out as a reason for quitting) for me and in EVE there is just way so much you can do, and PvP is pretty engaging and you can get character development even when logged off from the game so there isn't as much of a time commitment like WoW has had.

If not WoW, probably nothing. There just isn't anything new and exciting out there anymore. I'm playing Rift right now, but I have a hard time staying logged in for more than an hour or 2. I played it pretty hardcore and all day at first, but now I'm back to where I was when I was playing WoW, the only thing to do is raid and I'm starting to not even want to log in for those.

I played AC back in the day, but it's just not the same. It's all nostalgia, but then you go to play it you might have fun for a few weeks if you're lucky.

I'm just waiting patiently for Guild Wars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliekcookies View Post
    Remember early 2011?

RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT

Where is that Rift now? On its way to Shitville.

WoW is like heroine among MMORPGs. Once you're hooked, it's an addiction. You can't go back to anything weaker (which any other MMORPG is - weak).
    Rift is actually doing fine. It's celebrating it's half-birthday and letting anyone play for free between August 25 and August 31. New players, returning subscribers, you can even reactivate an old trial account.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/half-birthday

I tried to play WoW again today, and it didn't do anything for me. I'd say WoW is diluting itself, to be honest. Getting weaker and weaker until it barely even feels like WoW.
    Last edited by Abbeel; 2011-08-25 at 11:56 PM.

Deleted
    League of Legends :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought Terraria and played that for a bit. Then I played TF2 a lot for a couple weeks. Following that I tried a F2P MMO and got bored of it pretty quickly. Now I'm bouncing back and forth between solo Minecraft with some mods and my 360. Oh, and I tried HoN but after a while I realized that game would be better off without me playing after a string of "noob only" games with people telling me how much I suck.

I do plan on returning to WoW, though. I didn't quit out of disgust or boredom with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliekcookies View Post
    Remember early 2011?

RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT RIFT

Where is that Rift now? On its way to Shitville.

WoW is like heroine among MMORPGs. Once you're hooked, it's an addiction. You can't go back to anything weaker (which any other MMORPG is - weak).
    Rift is one of the most successful Western MMOs. It's doing great, actually. Especially for being WoW with better graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargon View Post

I've been playing the TOR beta, but I just don't know if it's going to beat WoW. I'm still in the low levels, but there's just something about it that feels repetitive when it comes to combat.

I see a lot of people playing League of Legends, but I've tried and just can't get into that game.

Mostly playing The Elder Scroll games to prepare for Skyrim.

Darkfall! If that game had more people I think it would be much better than WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Iviker View Post
    Rift is one of the most successful Western MMOs. It's doing great, actually. Especially for being WoW with better graphics.
    I really couldn't get into Rift. It was too similar to WoW, so I kept thinking, I should just play WoW. And the Graphics of Rift turned me off of the game. I like the Graphics style of WoW more. TOR's graphics are something I can get into as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriau View Post
    Rift is actually doing fine. It's celebrating it's half-birthday
    Half birthday? Sounds like Rift is not doing well and needed a reason fast to give discounts and free game time as an attempt to get more players.. I tried Rift few months back and I didn't play it at all after first day of my trial. I didn't like the graphics or the story and the quests just like in WoW, it didn't feel like I was doing a Quest, like it feels in TES games for example, it just felt like lame farming. They copied the bad parts of WoW and made it worse with bad story and graphics imo.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

My signature shows all.

I'll be playing GW2 for many years to come, if they keep up with the expansions.

I'm currently playing Guild Wars, getting my hall of Monument rewards for when GW2 comes out.

I think I enjoy Guild Wars because it has such a different style than other MMO's.

All gear is pretty much equal (just visual differences) same with weapons, and you can play through the whole game solo with no issues (well, with a party of heros you can personally customise and direct)

For a casual gamer its brilliant. Don't need to put up with morons if you don't want to. No grinding to get better gear, just time to enjoy the quests and story lines which are quite interesting, even for someone who doesnt read quest texts.

WoW is the only MMO i'm playing at the moment.. there are very few MMO's that really interest me, i've tried many of those mentioned in previous posts and some i've just read about and checked out video's and stuff about.. but none of them really felt right or was enjoyable for me.

Right now i'm mostly excited about one MMO coming out.. Firefall (firefallthegame.com/ for those that wanna check it out.. btw.. it's free and will be free to play.. beta coming out in a few days and the game itself by the end of the year) and then i'll check out SW TOR.. but i'm not really excited about SW.. just checking it out because i have a bunch of friends that are excited about it

I've tried Rift, I've bought Guild Wars and honestly they couldn't even touch WoW. I would not be able to play any of those 2 for (how long has WoW been around?)...

I still play WoW and I think it's the greatest game ever made, it's not perfect but I think that just like Warhammer and Rift and whatever... SWTOR is going to be a huge disappointment. From what I've seen it looks like a WoW-Copy Starwars style but hey this is just gonna get me bashed by all the Starwars fanbois. NP though I'll see you back in WoW.

PS: I do think the biggest threat to WoW will be Guild Wars 2 though, that's honestly the only game that really looks amazing and the makers are acting really cocky so I think they know it's gonna be great too. I might buy a copy, just hope I won't stop playing after 1 week like Guildwars.

---------- Post added 2011-08-26 at 01:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zentul View Post
    Darkfall! If that game had more people I think it would be much better than WoW.
    I was about to go to sleep when I saw this...

I'm sorry but Darkfall has to be the biggest piece of cr*p I have ever seen in my entire Life and I can't even imagine how someone could likes a game like that. It's the first game where I actually went "EVERYTHING is terrible in this game". I saw the trailer and thought it was going to be amazing but it was a HUGE disappointment

Try World of Tanks, it's free to play.