Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Recording with Fraps

Sorry if wrong section, please move if it is.

I want to start making youtube videos and I need some help making my video output as clear as possible.

At the moment, I run wow in 1280x1024 and have fraps which autorecords at 1280x1024. Then, I take it into Sony Vegas 10 and
    render it.

These are my render settings:

Under Video:

Frame Size: 1280 Width 1024 Height

Profile: Baseline

Framerate: 29.970000

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0000
    Variable Bit Rate: 14 Million Max and Average

Under Project:

Video Rendering Quality: Best

Under audio I have the default settings.

I save the type as MainConcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4).

On the Render As screen the only checkboxes I have checked are Save Project Markers in Media File.

This is what the finished product looks like:

Watch it in 720p Fullscreen HD so you can see the issue I'm having. I want it more HD then that. Is there any other way I can
    save or render the video so it's a higher quality?

Thanks ^-^
    Last edited by Garneth; 2011-08-27 at 07:48 PM.

Deleted
    Here is a nice guide to optimal rendering options: http://premoguild.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6048

Youtube 1080p video is 1920x1080, and the uploaded video needs to be close to or exceed that resolution to be rendered by Youtube to their 1080p option. You could upscale the raw video footage you have, but it might look weird. Another option is to render it to 1920x1080 with black bars on the side.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Here is a nice guide to optimal rendering options: http://premoguild.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6048

Youtube 1080p video is 1920x1080, and the uploaded video needs to be close to or exceed that resolution to be rendered by Youtube to their 1080p option. You could upscale the raw video footage you have, but it might look weird. Another option is to render it to 1920x1080 with black bars on the side.
    My computer's max resolution it can display is 1280x1024. Will that cause any issues?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure it is rendering the height as 1080? If it is then youtube should automatically give a 1080 option.

Unless I'm totally wrong and that's not the issue you were alluding to. I mean, it does look decent, but I can tell your graphics are also not super high. Mind being a little less vague and saying what exactly your issue is? The fact that I can read your text with ease makes it not a huge issue, but we can certainly try and help you get a better quality video. Perhaps youtube just wants a higher width pixel-range, we'll figure it out!

---------- Post added 2011-08-27 at 07:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Garneth View Post
    My computer's max resolution it can display is 1280x1024. Will that cause any issues?
    If all you do is render the video as 1920x1080 then it should not be an issue at all. Trying to run the game at that resolution however could present some major issues, though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Are you sure it is rendering the height as 1080? If it is then youtube should automatically give a 1080 option.

Unless I'm totally wrong and that's not the issue you were alluding to. I mean, it does look decent, but I can tell your graphics are also not super high. Mind being a little less vague and saying what exactly your issue is? The fact that I can read your text with ease makes it not a huge issue, but we can certainly try and help you get a better quality video. Perhaps youtube just wants a higher width pixel-range, we'll figure it out!

If all you do is render the video as 1920x1080 then it should not be an issue at all. Trying to run the game at that resolution however could present some major issues, though.
    My issue I have with it is that it's a bit blurry at the Frame Size I have it. I used to record it a lot clearer but for some reason I can't get it to like like that anymore and I used the same settings so IDK. I just think that if people were to check me out they wouldnt look at someone with a blurry video output.

---------- Post added 2011-08-27 at 03:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

I'm 100% positive it is 1280x1024. I am gonna try 1920x1080

Deleted
    I wasn't talking about changing your in-game resolution, but rather the render settings and options in Video Vegas.

Edit: To clarify:
    Your RAW footage is your games resolution, 1280x1024. Don't change this as it depends on what your screen can display. But, when you deal with the footage in Vegas, change the working resolution to 1920x1080. This will present black bars on the sides, but will give you the 1080p option on Youtube. Further, check the link I posted for further details regarding best settings, etc.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna upload the same video file at 1920x1080 now and post it so you guys can see how it changes

Get "Any Video Converter", its free, save your frapsed video as .avi, with x264 codec and original FPS start with the highest bitrate and down it until u find something that u dont like it (u dont want a HUGE video do u?).
    With a 1080p resolution AND after Windows Movie Maker coding (which tends to screw things) i got results like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCzvDoDxFIQ
    Got a Warlock as a main, a Druid and a DK at 80 as alts and lvling a Rogue..

"You are only as good player, as the guild you are into"

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't talking about changing your in-game resolution, but rather the render settings and options in Video Vegas.
    Ah gotcha. Trying 1920x1080 now.

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll be waiting!
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkh View Post
    Get "Any Video Converter", its free, save your frapsed video as .avi, with x264 codec and original FPS start with the highest bitrate and down it until u find something that u dont like it (u dont want a HUGE video do u?).
    With a 1080p resolution AND after Windows Movie Maker coding (which tends to screw things) i got results like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCzvDoDxFIQ
    You linked a blocked video afaik. And he is using Vegas, which means there are no needs for converting the RAW footage before you start to work with it. Vegas has perfectly fine solutions for rendering as is.

Edit: Example of a video using the settings in the link I posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTSP5hjXGYA

Due to the way YouTube re-encodes videos, if you want to upload 1080p content and not have it end up blurry/distorted/blocky you'll want to upload at 1920x1072 progressive frame video. You'll want the height to be an even multiple of 16 in order to play well with Youtube's encoding. 1072 works best as 1088 tends to get distorted (resided down to fit 1080p).

That's not the solution to all of your problems, but it will help eliminate some of the blur in your video when it's sent to youtube. You can find more details over in the tutorials section.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkh View Post
    Damn that looks good dude.
    "A flower.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

That's 1920x1080.

Very clear but now there's black bars on all four sides? Wtf?

Deleted
    <snip>

That's 1920x1080.

Very clear but now there's black bars on all four sides? Wtf?
    Well, what did you expect? Your resolution isn't 16:9, which is the format Youtube uses. There will always be black bars as you aren't using the "correct" resolution that Youtube "wants".

Anyway, that looks good to me. Pixels are 1:1 and quality is good.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, what did you expect? Your resolution isn't 16:9, which is the format Youtube uses. There will always be black bars as you aren't using the correct resolution.
    So i'm down to either a bit blurry or black bars on all four sides? ughh

Yep, that's the price you have to pay for free service like youtube to host your videos. It will not be perfect for you, but it will be good enough for most of the people.

Another option would be rendering 1280x1024 and hosting the files on your own homepage or torrent tracker for pixel perfect image without any black bars.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Well, as I said earlier, rendering to 1920x1080 (or x1072 to be specific) will yield you black bars on the sides natively. You can try and render it to 1350x1080, but I'm not sure if the image will look good. Try it as it should fix the "black bars".

To further explain:
    Your screen is 1280x1024, which is 5:4 format.
    Youtube wants 1920x1080, which is 16:9 format.
    By going for 1080p in height, you need to compensate by increasing the width. 1080/4 is 270 (ratio number) and 270x5 is 1350. Your pixels will be rendered bigger, a 1:1.05 scale, but hopefully that won't do much for the quality.

Edit: Sorry, totally forgot about the /16 thing. Render it to 1340x1072 for best results.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-08-27 at 08:10 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Yep, that's the price you have to pay for free service like youtube to host your videos. It will not be perfect for you, but it will be good enough for most of the people.
    Alright I suppose. Thanks everyone! ^-^

Deleted
    Try rendering in 1280x720. Might work then.