Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow priest: Should I drop tailoring for another profession?

I'm wondering if my DPS would go up if I dropped tailoring for another profession, like enchanting. I am a tailor and Jewelcrafter. What do you guys think is the bigger buff: lightweave embroidery, enchanting my rings for +80 intellect, or something else?

What do you think are the 2 best professions for a shadow priest, assuming jewelcrafting is one of those two?

Blacksmithing is technically the best combo prof with JCing, but few clothies go that route. With those two together you can twink whatever stat you want at all gear levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Themos View Post
    Blacksmithing is technically the best combo prof with JCing, but few clothies go that route. With those two together you can twink whatever stat you want at all gear levels.
    I thought about blacksmithing, but the 2 extra sockets still only gives me the same +80 intellect that enchanting would give, and enchanting would be much cheaper to level

I don't remember where the thread went (and if it was here or on H2P) but someone calculated the values of tailoring, enchanting, engineering, and leatherworking... and I am pretty sure they all came up really close if not the same between all of them. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Deleted
    If you want to increase your dps, dont change proffesion, tailoring is great. Instead dont gem 40 mastery and haste.

You can check the shadow priest thread on EJ for the math supporting this, but Tailoring is actually the best caster dps profession with Lightweave. Uptime is high enough, especially for DoT heavy classes, that it outperforms the flat +80 stats from other professions. Oddly, engineering is second, since it gets a glove tinker that doesn't overwrite a normal enchant and has slightly less power than lightweave with the advantage of being on-use.

Unless you want the profession for something other than the bonuses, (making gold, etc.) in which case tailoring is probably not the best way to go, stick with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Davoo2080 View Post
    If you want to increase your dps, dont change proffesion, tailoring is great. Instead dont gem 40 mastery and haste.
    Oh...I changed my gems today specifically for heroic Majordomo to get over 13 mastery. I only get dark intent on that fight, so I assumed losing the haste in favor of 1 more point of mastery would be a DPS increase. I already have the gems to socket back when we kill him, and my haste will be back at 2602 when I resocket. Do you think it was a bad idea to sacrifice the haste in favor of 1 more point of mastery for that fight? I figured with the DPS buff the extra mastery would be a DPS increase, but I have no way of testing this out(that I know of) except when we make our attempts tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    You can check the shadow priest thread on EJ for the math supporting this, but Tailoring is actually the best caster dps profession with Lightweave. Uptime is high enough, especially for DoT heavy classes, that it outperforms the flat +80 stats from other professions. Oddly, engineering is second, since it gets a glove tinker that doesn't overwrite a normal enchant and has slightly less power than lightweave with the advantage of being on-use.

Unless you want the profession for something other than the bonuses, (making gold, etc.) in which case tailoring is probably not the best way to go, stick with what you have.
    I checked the combatlogs from last night, and lightweave had a 21.7% uptime during boss fights. Would that be better than a 100% uptime on 130 intellect(+50 INT to cloak and +80 INT to rings)?
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2011-09-07 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    I thought about blacksmithing, but the 2 extra sockets still only gives me the same +80 intellect that enchanting would give, and enchanting would be much cheaper to level
    While generally true, if you get to a gear point where secondary stats end up being better than primary (Int for us) then blacksmithing gives you the option to take advantage of that, while most other professions do not. It's mostly a hypothetical, and only really becomes a factor later in the expansion, but it's a very real difference in profession perks.

Like I said, most clothies wouldn't bother. I wouldn't.

edit --- Your Mastery doesn't need to hit an even integer, partial gains carry over to the final % boost.

I'm pretty sure Tailoring/JC is the strongest combo for shadow priests.

JC actually gives 81 more int. Tailoring spellpower equiv is above that, so beats out the others.

Someone mentioned earlier about the break down in a thread somewhere.
    I just remember cause I get a lot of crap for being alch/jc, and not maximizing my output hehe (but I make the cauldrons for the raids!)

All of the crafting professions are right around (or slightly above) 80 PP gain for us, with JC at 81 PP and Tailoring ever-so-slightly higher (thanks to RNG on the Lightweave proc). The gathering professions are anywhere from 40 PP to 0 PP.

I wouldn't drop Tailoring to pick up another profession unless you see another real use for it (PvP, lucrative crafting, support for another toon, etc.).
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

15+ Year Old Account
    I could have sworn Jewelcrafting and Tailoring was the best overall. If I remember correctly, Jewelcrafting provides 1 more Intellect and Tailoring is RNG, it can provide between 95 and 66 Intellect, averaging at 80.5 Intellect, giving you 0.5 more Intellect. The bonus is that if you can time trinkets/stuff with the actual proc, you can increase the gain.

Basically, you will not notice a significant (if any) increase in DPS by changing to BS. I would, and do, stick with Tailoring / Jewelcrafting.

Numbers are from memory/ rough, please correct at will.

Ok...I'll stick with tailoring...but can you give me your input on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Davoo2080 View Post
    Oh...I changed my gems today specifically for heroic Majordomo to get over 13 mastery. I only get dark intent on that fight, so I assumed losing the haste in favor of 1 more point of mastery would be a DPS increase. I already have the gems to socket back when we kill him, and my haste will be back at 2602 when I resocket. Do you think it was a bad idea to sacrifice the haste in favor of 1 more point of mastery for that fight? I figured with the DPS buff the extra mastery would be a DPS increase, but I have no way of testing this out(that I know of) except when we make our attempts tonight.

So I sacrificed 60 haste because I will have dark intent for this fight in favor of 60 mastery to put me from 12 to 13 mastery. Was this a bad choice? Will the 60 haste be better with the concentration damage buff, or will the extra point in mastery be better? I have no way of testing this out except in a raid. I can always drop to 12 mastery and 2602 haste, or keep 13 mastery with 2542 haste and dark intent.....what would be best?

Found the link I was referring to earlier. Pretty sure it is still up to date and accurate.

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?p=111#p111

Deleted
    Engineering is so strong that I wouldn't pass it for any other profession at the moment. Rocket Boots are invaluable and even if they fail, you can disperse it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Found the link I was referring to earlier. Pretty sure it is still up to date and accurate.

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?p=111#p111
    I just updated the first post. There was some discussion (at the end of page 2) about the ICD of Lightweave changing to 60sec which puts the buff in line with all of the others.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    [COLOR="#B22222"]Oh...I changed my gems today specifically for heroic Majordomo to get over 13 mastery. I only get dark intent on that fight, so I assumed losing the haste in favor of 1 more point of mastery would be a DPS increase
    I can't speak to the spriest aspects of this, but realize mastery increases with every rating point - the increase you get from 12.99 to 13.00 is the same as going from 12.98 to 12.99. Though the character sheet makes it look like it's an integral step function, it's not.

When I sim my lightweave it has a 24% uptime.

580*.24= 139.2

So I sacrificed 60 haste because I will have dark intent for this fight in favor of 60 mastery to put me from 12 to 13 mastery. Was this a bad choice? Will the 60 haste be better with the concentration damage buff, or will the extra point in mastery be better? I have no way of testing this out except in a raid. I can always drop to 12 mastery and 2602 haste, or keep 13 mastery with 2542 haste and dark intent.....what would be best?

That's not how Mastery works. You don't gain a whole +1.45% shadow power for nailing the next whole number of mastery (i.e, from 12.99 to 13.00). You benefit from partial gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Themos View Post
    That's not how Mastery works. You don't gain a whole +1.45% shadow power for nailing the next whole number of mastery (i.e, from 12.99 to 13.00). You benefit from partial gains.
    OIC...SO if I go from 12.31 mastery to 12.74 mastery, its an improvement without having to drop my haste from 2602!

TYVM!
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2011-09-07 at 07:51 PM.

Why on earth would you want to remove Tailoring? It's the BY FAR best raiding profession for a Shadow Priest atm.

Int proccs = KING

When Lightweave proccs together with Power Torrent and/or DMC:V or TM (which is does A LOT), it is worth waaaaaaaaaay more than the 80 static Int from the other professions, not to mention that Int proccs during Hero and Archangel increases it's value even more.

To answer your question: NO, your dps would definitivly not go up if you swapped Tailoring for something else
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2011-09-07 at 09:35 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory