Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...

One Change Blizzard could make.

There is one change that Blizzard could make that would greatly increase the number of characters (and level 85 ones) an account has.
    Make Achievements account based and shared across all characters. Many do not want to level a new character when any achievement gains will not go to their main. I know many people who did all of the low level Cataclysm content on their level 85 toons simply because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Faladrath View Post
    What baffle me to no end is the amount of people on this forum with 0 lvl 85, 2755 atm, that many are so bitter about the game they stick around on a fan site for something they dont play anymore to whine about it, good example is the post above, he still play mind you, at some lvl state of gear/rading, but he first complain that something got complicated for "no reason" then later he complain something is too simple, that is just complaining to complain, I really wish someone could tell me why ppl who dont play cata stick around on the forum, are they hoping to see the one change they been hoping for and strongly believe will change the whole game for them?
    Yeah that's pretty much why I still come to MMO daily. I played WoW from launch until about March this year when I stopped playing because I was having no fun whatsoever. Once upon a time WoW was the greatest game ever made, and I loved playing every minute of it. I saw it all, from MC to the original Naxx 40 (I killed KT back when it meant something), through BC and Sunwell, through WotLK and the awesome Ulduar where I got the server first legendary mace. Basically I had some great times, but now the game absolutely fucking sucks. I'm holding out hope that with the next expansion it could return to former glories, but realistically I know it's not that likely to happen. But I'm an optimist, so here's crossing my fingers.

That's why I still come to MMO

In Vanilla, I had 1 character and barely dabbled with alts -- there was so much to do, the leveling process was long (having a l60 was an accomplishment in itself), and dungeon runs were substantial investments in time...BRD took 4-6 visits to complete entirely, you'd run strat and scholo and dire maul numerous times to buidl your tier 0.5 sets... Molten Core runs happened nightly, and were puggable quite often.TBC raised the bar, more stuff to do, more valid specs for end game (e.g. more than 1 tank class), heroics 5 mans and attunements. I never cleared SSC or TK (let alone BT or Sunwell), but raiding was always fun and there was so many bosses and content to see. By the end of TBC I had 2 characters I played, and that was more than enough.Wrath started out strong -- heroics, 3 starting raids with gradually increasing difficutly, lots of factions to level. Then Ulduar! Amazing instance. Too short as the end-game as I recall (only 5 months) and it hit just before summer which also was disappointing from a retention perspective. Some point after Ulduar things started to slide... ToC was free loot, and the badge incrementalism soon made heroic 5 mans irrelevant in terms of difficulty; the gear was so much better than Ulduar so no one ran Ulduar anymore. ICC was 'ok' although fairly repetitive and lasted way too long (1 year). Content became so easy that I ended the expansion with 6 x 85s, all tier 9+ geared. I chased achievements for the last 6 months and ended somewhere around 9000. Cataclysm repeated all the mistakes of Wrath, and made them worse. The Valor cap/justice cap method reduced the reason to logon; each raid tier progressed the badge gear further which exaccerbated the gear incrementalism of Wrath. What's worse, they tried to tier the dungeons -- with recycled content! -- so that people only ran the same 2 troll dungeons over and over... ugh. Its almost as if Blizzard *wanted* their audience to burn out. Lore wise, Cataclysm is just flat... not a fan of the refreshed 1-60 content from what i've seen (especially hrode side), and 80-85 is a 20 hour experience tops. Homogenizing 10 and 25 man raid loot means 25 mans rarely happen now. The Firelands dailies are the worse of all the dailies i've seen so far -- worse than Orgrila, worse than Netherwing, worse than Quel Danas or even ToC. Class mechanics are more proc based, more gimicks (e.g. holy power) added with no benefit, tanks are homogenized and they've arleady backed away from the threat mechanic they tried to bring back.In general, WoW is still WoW... its just less interesting, easier and less challenging, and almost entirely raid focused. If you raid, then the end game is still probably enough to keep you playing. PvP, questing/lore, pve wise? Its got about 30-60 days worth of content tops.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    In Vanilla, I had 1 character and barely dabbled with alts -- there was so much to do, the leveling process was long (having a l60 was an accomplishment in itself), and dungeon runs were substantial investments in time...BRD took 4-6 visits to complete entirely, you'd run strat and scholo and dire maul numerous times to buidl your tier 0.5 sets... Molten Core runs happened nightly, and were puggable quite often.TBC raised the bar, more stuff to do, more valid specs for end game (e.g. more than 1 tank class), heroics 5 mans and attunements. I never cleared SSC or TK (let alone BT or Sunwell), but raiding was always fun and there was so many bosses and content to see. By the end of TBC I had 2 characters I played, and that was more than enough.Wrath started out strong -- heroics, 3 starting raids with gradually increasing difficutly, lots of factions to level. Then Ulduar! Amazing instance. Too short as the end-game as I recall (only 5 months) and it hit just before summer which also was disappointing from a retention perspective. Some point after Ulduar things started to slide... ToC was free loot, and the badge incrementalism soon made heroic 5 mans irrelevant in terms of difficulty; the gear was so much better than Ulduar so no one ran Ulduar anymore. ICC was 'ok' although fairly repetitive and lasted way too long (1 year). Content became so easy that I ended the expansion with 6 x 85s, all tier 9+ geared. I chased achievements for the last 6 months and ended somewhere around 9000. Cataclysm repeated all the mistakes of Wrath, and made them worse. The Valor cap/justice cap method reduced the reason to logon; each raid tier progressed the badge gear further which exaccerbated the gear incrementalism of Wrath. What's worse, they tried to tier the dungeons -- with recycled content! -- so that people only ran the same 2 troll dungeons over and over... ugh. Its almost as if Blizzard *wanted* their audience to burn out. Lore wise, Cataclysm is just flat... not a fan of the refreshed 1-60 content from what i've seen (especially hrode side), and 80-85 is a 20 hour experience tops. Homogenizing 10 and 25 man raid loot means 25 mans rarely happen now. The Firelands dailies are the worse of all the dailies i've seen so far -- worse than Orgrila, worse than Netherwing, worse than Quel Danas or even ToC. Class mechanics are more proc based, more gimicks (e.g. holy power) added with no benefit, tanks are homogenized and they've arleady backed away from the threat mechanic they tried to bring back.In general, WoW is still WoW... its just less interesting, easier and less challenging, and almost entirely raid focused. If you raid, then the end game is still probably enough to keep you playing. PvP, questing/lore, pve wise? Its got about 30-60 days worth of content tops.
    I couldn't agree more. That's why for me the greatest run WoW had was from WoTLK launch up to ToC. I still enjoyed ToC but I do think they dragged ICC out too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only have 2 at 85 currently, but then again all my other alts are level 25-51. I try to be balanced on leveling things, but recently I've been leveling my Hunter. Never leveled a Hunter past 15 before, and they are SO MUCH FUN!

Also lol DL comic. Poor Krom...

i've got 0 level 85's. 81 is my highest. Then i decided this game is way beyond what i think about enjoyment and i quit.

In vanilla I had one 60 - there was more than enough to do because things were challenging and PVP was actually fun.

TBC, I had 8 70s - content was awesome, classes varied and interesting, and it was great fun to just get another one to 70 and throw them into Karazhan (that place didn't get old for a LONG time).

WotLK, 5 80s. Things not quite as fun, but the Northrend levelling was just tedious and horrible, which put me off levelling more. Ulduar was a great instance and definitely a high point in WoW. Heroics became a tedious and horrible grind, but at least quick. The ICC heroics were vaguely interesting. ICC itself dragged on forever and burnt out so many people. The standard of players became gradually worse due to the easymode heroics.

Cataclysm, 3 85s. One of those just for professions. The levelling isn't as bad, it just seems pointless. Classes are less interesting than they were. Levelling 1-60 is more boring because it feels like it's all handed to you on a plate. I used to love 1-60 dungeon runs, but now those are overly short and stupidly easy. Loads of people quit or just make others lives a misery in heroics because they are "too hard" compared to Wrath (difficulty level is ok, but they are pretty boring). Less effort is spent by Blizz with seemingly every patch. Take the troll patch: the rehashed dungeons were a bad enough idea, but they touted an interesting quest line to go with it! The quest line took 30 minutes tops. Firelands patch: touted an epic Thrall questchain. Worst questchain in the game, supremely boring and finished in under 30 minutes. Firelands dailies are done and dusted in a month, and too repetitive to want to repeat on alts.

I love WoW as a game. I love the background and the story and the races and the locations. But Blizzard need to get a handle on what they're doing and fix this mess they've allowed the game to slip into.

Quote Originally Posted by shesta View Post
    Worst questchain in the game, supremely boring and finished in under 30 minutes. Firelands dailies are done and dusted in a month, and too repetitive to want to repeat on alts. (
    They are dailies... You can't get annoyed at Firelands dailies for being repetitive when all dailies are repetitive.
    'murica

Quote Originally Posted by wilzax View Post
    They are dailies... You can't get annoyed at Firelands dailies for being repetitive when all dailies are repetitive.
    That's not necessarily true. For example I never minded the Hodir dailies at all. They were fun and different. Whenever I run an alt through Northerend, I still do those dailies to level up. The problem with the Firelands quests are that they are way too drawn out and the repetitive factor of dailies is multiplied due to the fact that as you unlock "new" quests you still have to do all the old ones, moving across what seems to be three zones, and at the end of the day for rewards that imho don't seem worth it. At least the ToC dailies had vanity items like mounts to keep me going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainClaw View Post
    If you're taking requests I'd like to see the stats for the major regional subscriber numbers over time. I'd be particularly interested to see the impact China and the Far East has had on the number of WoW subscriptions, and where we stand right now. Purely as a guess, with nothing to back myself up, I would say that right now the numbers are going down in Europe and the USA, being nearly offset by rising China/Far East numbers. I'd love to see some stats to either back this up or discredit it.
    the best I have been able to do is work from netease's 10q\s from when they started being able to bill wow again in q3 2009.

that said, just trying to fit the pre-cat mmo revenue numbers into a 12m sub figure gives some insight into the issue, and that leaves the entire fee-service figure out, which they say grows every quarter.

I'm not completely certain of the capabilities of your stat-tracking program (from what I assume, it goes off of easily accessible stuff such as achievement-tracked stats), but I would very much like to see the average rate of success of a 5-man heroic dungeon using the dungeon finder for each of the three trinity types (Tank, healer, DPS) over the course of release through the present (success being measured as total dungeons completed divided by the total dungeons queued for). If you wanted to be spiffy, you could have two graphs, one for normal 5-man heroics and the other for 5-man Trollroics.

I'm not sure if this is possible given as to the unknown limitations of your program, but a guy can hope! This is just me spit balling here, but I'm willing to bet the percentage of completion would be a lot higher than most people would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainClaw View Post
    Yeah that's pretty much why I still come to MMO daily. I played WoW from launch until about March this year when I stopped playing because I was having no fun whatsoever. Once upon a time WoW was the greatest game ever made, and I loved playing every minute of it. I saw it all, from MC to the original Naxx 40 (I killed KT back when it meant something), through BC and Sunwell, through WotLK and the awesome Ulduar where I got the server first legendary mace. Basically I had some great times, but now the game absolutely fucking sucks. I'm holding out hope that with the next expansion it could return to former glories, but realistically I know it's not that likely to happen. But I'm an optimist, so here's crossing my fingers.

That's why I still come to MMO
    The problem is that we've all been beaten to death with the same MMO formula. In the beginning everything is great, enormous, and immerses you. At least that's how it was for me. I was so enthralled by the game i'd turn down social events on raid nights. Now, it is a completely different story. I don't have the passion or interest in scheduling my events. The only "new" content is the xpacs. You are either all in or casual. Even one night a week eventually becomes a chore when you would rather be doing something else than farming that same raid you've done a zillion times. I've been in hardcore bleeding edge guilds to the casual "couple of friends" guilds.

The typical pve setup is quests and dungeons to level, hit max cap do more dungeons until you finish them all and get your loot, then advanced versions of dungeons to get better loot. Then raid to get the best loot. And while that formula has worked for a long time, in my opinion it's time for a change. MMO's need to inject more substancial content between dungeons and raids... or find a way to make raids more accessible without having to schedule your life around raid nights. The new looking for raid system in next patch is fail. No standard achievements or loot? You get kiddie rewards, after dealing with a pug?
    Some might argue join a casual guild, but my question is: Have you done it? I've found that I get absolutely nothing done. Might as well be playing solo with a large friends list. Even with a small dedicated guild I sat waiting to start a raid for up to 1.5-2 hours sometimes. There is such a delicate balance required to make it work correctly. Yet, to do so it must be structured with rules and penalties and dkp/epgp/attendance tracking and so on. you need enough people to replace those out, yet when they are all present you must have standby's.

I fully understand that people can blaze through content way faster than it can be created, however there is a certain negative feeling you get when you are paying to play an MMO yet you are unable to do what you want because you are unable to find the people. I don't really get into PvP much, but that's not to say i haven't participated.
    I seem to hear a lot of constant discussion about difficulty and balance. To me, this has nothing to do with why i cancelled my sub. The reason? Repetition of the same formula. Sure i logged in a few weeks ago and had a blast running the old ZA and ZG dungeons. I wanted to get all the gear... until i realized that if I let that pull me back in i'm going to be at the same crossroad I was at when i stopped playing - faced with settling for less and not seeing the content, or scheduling my life around raid nights again.

I think I'll pass. There are too many decent free to play MMOs now and although the formula may work for newer players and PvPers it certainly has lost the appeal to me.

I come back to MMO sites because as stated before, I am hoping that they change things enough to bring back the enjoyment I once had for this game, and games like it.